Change gear shutter C250D

M

mymymy

Hi,

I have a C250D elegance, an automatic. The gear box shutter/curtain thingy broke a while ago and now the kids have decided that its a fun game to post money into the gear box. This has spurred me on to fix it and so I have a replacement shutter, and came to try and replace it tonight and it wasn't as simple a job as it first appeared. I got the cover off and the gear knob, but the whole gearbox seems to be moulded from a single piece. there seem to be 4 bolts holding it down, which I undid (circled on the picture) and then undid 2 other screws which were at the back of the box (you can see one just under my finger in the picture) this seemed to loosen the whole unit, but I didn't really want to go any further without some advice. So what do I need to do to be able to replace the shutter? Am I on the right track? is it potentially dangerous to fix? Would it be easier to get rid of the kids?

any advice appreciated

Sam

Attachments

• DSCF6076.JPG
    DSCF6076.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
This is a fiddly old job. I have done loads, and they still take me ages...

You really need to take the unit out and do it on the bench. Remove the 5mm allen bolts holding the unit down and you should be able to lift it enough to release the clip holding the unit to the gearbox shaft below the transmission tunnel.

You need to gently release the clip things that hold the two halves together. They are on the sides, about 15mm up from the bottom. They are like a plastic barb and you can gently ease them with a small screwdriver. The knob needs to be off, and then the two halves seperate. Be careful because the shaft inside will try to spring up. I usually put the lever in D.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
OP
M

mymymy

Thanks Uncle Benz. I see you're in west sussex, how much would interest you in doing it?:D

if not then if I remove the unit are springs and the like likely to go everywhere, or is it pretty straight forward? you said
you should be able to lift it enough to release the clip holding the unit to the gearbox shaft below the transmission tunnel.
, not being familiar with this stuff is the clip at the front end, back end, left/right.

might give it a go over the easter weekend. thanks for the info.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
As you lift the unit up a hole will be revealed in the floor about 3 inches square, and the bottom of the lever will be poking down through it, and slightly forward. The end of the lever has an eye, through which a small peg will pass. The peg is held with a clip, which needs to be removed. Don't worry about dropping the bit with the peg attached - it is easy to pick up again.

The selector unit will not burst into a myriad of springs at all. It will stay pretty much in one bit, but one end of the cross shaft may ping up a little. The cross shaft has a bearing at each end, and it is important to get them back in correctly, as they only go in one way. Take your time and work methodically, you will be fine!!

Oh, and remove the transmission tunnel cover - Two screws in the rear cubby, and lift out the little coin tray at the front, ahead of the gear lever, to reveal two horizontal screws. Ease the whole thing back and then up. Improves access no end!!

I would gladly do it, but you must bring the biscuits!! I am away until 5th May though, so depends if you can wait that long...

Last edited:

khansen90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C280
Help after Replacing Gear Shift Shutter and Bushing 1998 C280 W202

Looking for some troubleshooting assistance. I pulled my gear shift assembly to replace the shutter...quite a job. After I had it all buttoned back up, the car would not start. I assume I must have created a problem with the connectors or wiring. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It takes a few minutes to remove and strip down one of these units...

You have either re-assembled it incorrectly so the selector lever isn't properly connected to the switch lever so the correct selection isn't made electrically, or you have broken the switch lever.

The little peg (sticking up in the photo) has to engage with the nylon switch lever.

switchout.jpg

switchopen.jpg

khansen90

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C280
Thanks Dieselman! Your pictures help when I pulled it out and reassembled it again. The little peg was not engaging the nylon switch lever properly. The procedure went much faster the second go around and I knew what to look for from your post. Works 4.0 now. Glad it was only an assembly error versus operator breakage and having to tell the lady of the house that I broke a perfectly running car.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom