Checking a Merc E Class - How to check out a Merc

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeillLS

Reaction score
I am in the process of acquiring a new E320CDI Estate from Belguim.

When it arrives I would like to make sure a couple of things are OK, but am not sure how to test them.

1) How do I test the rain detecting wipers - do I get the garden hose out and spray it on the windscreen or is the detector elsewhere

2) I have got Xenon lights being fitted by MB, if the car is delivered during the day, how can I be sure that the Xenon lights are fitted - do the bulbs look completely different?

3) Where do the headlamp washers work from - I have noticed some 4in x 4in square bodywork just by the headlamps - do they pop out of there?

4) Does anyone know what countries the COMAND system has CDs for - I'm getting a UK one, but I assume that will only cover the UK and nothing outside the boundaries - are the CDs by country or by geographic area i.e. 10,000 sq miles per CD ?

Other than that, can't wait for the machine to arrive!

Regards

Soon to be MB Owner (....its my first!)

Neill

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Checking a Merc E Class

Hi Niel

Your vehicle will be supplied with a service book. At the back of the service book is a data card. Besides chassis number. Engine numbers & gear box numbers. There are lots of 3 digit numbers. These numbers relate to the extra's fitted to your vehicle. Even down to the tyres fitted will be on the little blue oblong card. Walk in to a MB sales dept. They will be able to deciper the codes and tell you what is fitted.

Believe me when I say. As long as you ordered it correctly it will all be there. You will notice the difference in power of your Xenon lights at night.
Put your side lights on & press the washers, the head lamp washers will pop out of the bumper and drown you with water.

The one thing I know you will not of considered doing when you collect your vehicle. Is reading the hand book.!!!! Every thing will be in there. Including your headlamps and command system.

Don't worry we are all the same. When all else fails. Read the book!

Have fun
Andy@www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
N

NeillLS

Reaction score
Checking a Merc E Class

Andy,

Thanks for the quick reply - I will take a very close read of the manual when it arrives - have you seen the COMAND book - its like the thickness of a Dictionary!

BTW, how do you test the rain sensor, since I was concerned that a UK dealer said that personal imports did not have the rain sensor installed - is that true or just a scare story???

Regards

Neill

David Halsey

Reaction score
Checking a Merc E Class

As Andy said,
In the back of the service book is the "DATA" Card. On the lower striped section is a list of 3 digit numbers. If 345 is among them, then you have rain sensing wipers. If not, then the vehicle will not have had them fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom