Checking transmission oil on w211.

Terry Wilkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E320 3.0 ltr V6 diesel avantgarde estate
I have recently started to get a slight jerk between 1st and 2nd gear when pulling away faster than usual so, I thought I would check the oil level. Now I know these boxes are 'sealed for life' but, I keep seeing that there is a dipstick tube whereby you can check the transmission oil level.
So I've purchased a dipstick and new locking tab but, can I find this tube ? No I can't. Anyone got any idea where it might be on my 2008 e320 please or, tell me why I get this less than smooth change. All the changes through the other gears is fine.
Thanks in advance.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
If you have 7 gears in the box, there is no dipstick tube. The level is topped up and checked from the transmission sump but you need the right tools to do it. If it is a 7 G box, the advice is to change transmission fluid at +/- 40K intervals.

OP
Terry Wilkins

Terry Wilkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have 7 gears in the box, there is no dipstick tube. The level is topped up and checked from the transmission sump but you need the right tools to do it. If it is a 7 G box, the advice is to change transmission fluid at +/- 40K intervals.
Thanks Mark,
I thought mine was a 6 speed box, I'll have to check. I know that if I change manually, it goes to 6 and then drive.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
It will have a 7Gtronic box which means the oil level is set from inside the sump pan on the level.

Your type of fault won't be an oil level related issue, likely software or adaption related.

OP
Terry Wilkins

Terry Wilkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will have a 7Gtronic box which means the oil level is set from inside the sump pan on the level.

Your type of fault won't be an oil level related issue, likely software or adaption related.
Thanks Steve, it's not a major thing but niggles me after having a smooth transmission.
We are up at Brean in September, would it be possible to book in for you to have a look ? Unless you know of an indie technician in Cornwall. We live in the far west.
This started by the way, when I drove my car with my digital hearing aid in. It went into limp mode within 30 seconds of leaving home. Once I turned it off, the car was fine again.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Thanks Steve, it's not a major thing but niggles me after having a smooth transmission.
We are up at Brean in September, would it be possible to book in for you to have a look ? Unless you know of an indie technician in Cornwall. We live in the far west.
This started by the way, when I drove my car with my digital hearing aid in. It went into limp mode within 30 seconds of leaving home. Once I turned it off, the car was fine again.

Yes no problem. I am away first 2 weeks in september myself but the rest of the boys can look after you.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
"6 forward gears + 1 reverse gear = 7g :D"

Actually the 7G gearbox has 7 forward gears and 2 reverse gears.
It starts in 2nd gear in 'C'omfort mode which might make it seem like there are 6 forward gears.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
"6 forward gears + 1 reverse gear = 7g :D"

Actually the 7G gearbox has 7 forward gears and 2 reverse gears.
It starts in 2nd gear in 'C'omfort mode which might make it seem like there are 6 forward gears.
It's never happened that I've been wrong about anything ever :) !!! I was only quoting what I'd been told in the past , so my crown is still intact (if you are correct of course ) !

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
mine is a 7g it has 7 forward and 2 reverse

well done steveq u got there first ! :)
If I can rember who gave me duff info that caused me to look stupid on a public forum I'll have it in for them :D .

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Enquired about a W203 two years ago, with 7g box.
Dealer was insistent that it only had six forward gears, because only 1 to 6 showed on the display.

I suggested he drive at a steady speed in 6th, then select D (drive) and watch the rev counter drop.
He still insisted it only had six gears, so I didn't bother following up my interest in his car.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I didn't mean to start a debate on the 7g gearbox nor did I mean to put Wighty's source of information's life in danger (well maybe )!?!?!

What is the logic of 2 reverse gears?
I see that the 9G only has 1 reverse.

OP
Terry Wilkins

Terry Wilkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dealer was insistent that it only had six forward gears, because only 1 to 6 showed on the display.

I suggested he drive at a steady speed in 6th, then select D (drive) and watch the rev counter drop.
He still insisted it only had six gears, so I didn't bother following up my interest in his car.
Actually I don't care if it's gothe 6 or 7 gears, I just love the car to bits.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought I would check the oil level. Now I know these boxes are 'sealed for life' but, I keep seeing that there is a dipstick tube whereby you can check the transmission oil level.
So I've purchased a dipstick and new locking tab but, can I find this tube ? No I can't.

The older automatic gearbox which was fitted to earlier E320s and also fitted to later E Classes with the 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engines was the 5 speed (NAG1) gearbox. That had a dipstick tube with locking tab.

Your model has the later NAG2 gearbox 7G -- no dipstick, no means of measuring the oil level level and filled through the drain plug (progress???).

OP
Terry Wilkins

Terry Wilkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The older automatic gearbox which was fitted to earlier E320s and also fitted to later E Classes with the 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engines was the 5 speed (NAG1) gearbox. That had a dipstick tube with locking tab.

Your model has the later NAG2 gearbox 7G -- no dipstick, no means of measuring the oil level level and filled through the drain plug (progress???).
Thanks Steve, I can now sleep easier !!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

my father had a W124 E320 with optional 5 speed auto.

Sales guy said it had 5 but I couldn't tell.... back then I didn't realise they'd started this magic idea of putting extra ratios in the box then giving settings which meant they were never used.... eventually found a bit in owners manual showing photos of the gear selector which helped me understand it was the 5 speed box.

Also strange how BMW on the 2006 to 2010 6 speed autos have 5 gears for Sport and 6 for Standard, where Merc feel the need to do the opposite of 7 for Sport and 6 for Comfort.... its all emissions silliness gone mad

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
The older automatic gearbox which was fitted to earlier E320s and also fitted to later E Classes with the 4 cylinder diesel and petrol engines was the 5 speed (NAG1) gearbox. That had a dipstick tube with the locking tab.

Yes it's an ancient post before anybody says..

No they don't, mine doesn't at an 05 E220,I also phoned Mr Turpin to be told they they didn't come with either engine or auto box stick.

Top Bottom