Churchill Insurance

D

denny

Hi Folks

Newbie here, just joined today after collecting my 09-reg CLK 350 Sport Cabriolet at the beginning of last week. I haven't had too many chances to drive it yet but first impressions are good - can't wait to give it a good try out on a fast run.

I ran an 53-plate E270 CDi Avantegarde estate as my previous car, a really solid performer, bags of space and plenty of power on tap, especially since I replaced the turbo at 115K after it collapsed.

Anyway, I had the E270 insured with Churchill and because I was only 4 months into my policy year I asked them to substitute the CLK for the E270 and let me know the difference.

Firstly, I was quite surprised at the premium increase although checking around it still worked out cheaper to pay them the extra than cancel and go elsewhere for a brand new policy. However, the really annoying part was that they refused to proved theft cover until I had an "approved" tracking device fitted. It took me 8 days to get the tracker fitted (I got a Tracker Monitor fitted which I've had before on other convertibles) which was done this last Thursday. As you will no doubt appreciate, I have had a slightly nervous time waiting for the tracker to be fitted in order I can get the full theft cover applying. BUT, and this is the annoying bit, they won't provide the cover until they have seen proof of installation. I sent this off by snail-mail and fax (because they don't do scanned attachments by email) on Thursday and asked them to send me an email or give me a call to confirm cover is okay. Guess what, no response.

Okay, it's only Sunday and the postman might bring their confirmation in the mail tomorrow but it bugs me that these people seem only concerned about getting their premium in and don't really provide a tailored customer service. I wouldn't mind waiting a week or so for an unimportant item from them but in the situation I'm in I really felt they should have responded to me straight away.

Am I being too demanding on this? Anybody else had similar issues? Somehow, I don't think Churchill will be top of the list for my renewal come October.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I sent this off by snail-mail and fax (because they don't do scanned attachments by email) on Thursday and asked them to send me an email or give me a call to confirm cover is okay. Guess what, no response.

Hello denny and welcome to the Forum.

I think you are right to be incredulous that any company, in this day and age, can not work by e-mail and scanned/.PDF attachments - especially given the time taken for ordinary mail, and the risk of delay or loss.

I have been invoicing clients and paying bills electronically for years, and I am an old guy!

I suppose they feel that, as long as no one else in their industry is doing it, then it doesn't matter?

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Email isn't legally recognised media, hence they want the hard copy.
They probably get a fair number of people claiming to have the tracker fitted, but it not actually be there or working.

daveskompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e55 amg kompressor
where was it you live , will be round to pinch it tonight:lol::lol::lol::lol:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Hi denny, welcome aboard.

I can't see why they can't cover you with the proviso that if the tracker isn't fitted you aren't covered in the event of theft. In that event your instalation invoice and even the installers report would be evidence.

Why these clumsy pillocks can't apply a little common sense and stop making life more difficult is just flippin' annoying and beyond my simple understanding.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The use of e-mails, unashamedly cut and pasted but they are admissible and can be contested only with reasonable cause ;

E-mail is a form of documentary evidence and can be admitted as evidence in court in the same way as can other forms of documentary evidence. However, as with other forms of evidence, the reliability of e-mail evidence will be subject to scrutiny. This can be a particular issue in the context of e-mail or other electronic evidence, since measures which may protect the integrity and/or authenticity of electronic evidence (such as the use of digital signatures or other forms of encryption) are not always used. As a result, the reliability of e-mail as evidence may be subject to attack.

OP
D

denny

Thanks for all your comments, just got to hope daveskompressor and danger bollards aren't in cahoots to steal ma car.

By way of update, nothing with the postman today and no phone call so after giving them time to sort through their incoming mail and finish chatting about the weekend I gave them a call. Apparently, it takes them up to a week to process incoming mail and as of 15 minutes ago there was no note on my policy to say they had received the proof of installation.

But at least I got them to admit over the telephone that any claim for theft would be accepted provided it was proved the tracker was fitted prior to the theft. Just hope they taped the conversation.......

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
"They taped it" I would only trust taping it myself.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
"I am keeping a copy of this conversation for my records is enough"

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
We are always informed that "this call may be recorded for training and quality control purposes.

You try getting a copy if it doesn't suit their 'quality control needs'.

OP
D

denny

An update for anybody interested..... received today in the post my Tracker installation certificate attached to a blank 'Compliment Slip' from Direct Line. Que? I insure with with the nodding dog (change first letter to 's' for more apt description), not the red telephone. So, called up the Churchill people who told me both companies are owned by RBS and the main admin for both handled by the same office so they think there has been an internal cock-up as their screen file shows the Tracker Cert was returned with a letter from Churchill confirming my theft cover was now okay. The operator said she would ask for a second letter to be sent - wonder (a) when that will come and (b) who it will come from.
Am dreading putting my personlised plate on.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Hi and welcome, pleased every thing is o.k. Had a simular problem like you 50yrs ago, but made the wife sleep in the car for aweek, P.S. still got the car (and the wife). Hope this helps

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...................who told me both companies are owned by RBS and the main admin for both handled by the same office.............

I had 3 cars insured with NIG (National Insurance and Guarantee Corporation) last year and when they were due for renewal I was told that NIG were no longer doing car insurance, the broker gave me quotes from other companies which were more than twice what I was already paying.....

So who owns NIG........None other than RBS who incidentally still do van insurance......Prize twossers:(

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi and welcome, pleased every thing is o.k. Had a similar problem like you 50yrs ago, but made the wife sleep in the car for aweek, P.S. still got the car (and the wife). Hope this helps

You mean someone could have stolen your car AND your wife Brian?

How were you able to sleep at night? :confused:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You mean someone could have stolen your car AND your wife Brian?

How were you able to sleep at night? :confused:

Brian slept very well, Lizzy's bark is worse than her bite Alex ;)

6a01156f2c3287970c0115702cce28970c-500wi

OP
D

denny

6a01156f2c3287970c0115702cce28970c-500wi
[/QUOTE]

My tracker is much smaller and completely hidden away

Top Bottom