CL w216 Second battery

kalab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w216/2010/500 w166/2016/250cdi
I have a CL 216, year of manufacture 2009 (So pre facelift). I am having trouble with the electrics. Sometimes, the fault is intermittent, when I try to start it the starter is slow as if the battery is nearly dead. The instruments come on and are not dim and there are no problem warning lights on. When the starter is trying to turn the engine over, the dashboard lights remain bright. I can then turn the ignition off, count to 10 and try again and it will start without a problem. I sometimes have to count to 10 5 or six times before it will start.

I brought a new Mercedes replacement battery. The problem persisted.

I was then asked if I had replaced the other battery!!!!!!!

The search then started to find the other battery. The garage said it was behind the rear seat but when asked to show me, could not find it there. There have been a few other places to look (under the cabin air filter off side) but none has come to light.

I then remembered the QR codes that Mercedes put under the fuel filler flap to tell the emergency services where essential things like fuel tanks, body reinforcement and batteries are in case of a crash. Most ios and android phones can read the code, so I tried the one on the CL.

Sure enough up came a Mercedes web page with details of a Mercedes CL showing all the above mentioned points. Unfortunately none of the battery positions matched my car, even the battery I knew about was in a different position.

This has to be dangerous, in case of a crash, that the emergency services are given incorrect information.

So I have two questions,

Can anyone shed light on the position of the second battery?

Who is responsible for the QR codes on the cars, is it something the dealer attaches or has a previous owner attached an incorrect one?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Someone with a 216 will be along shortly I suspect it’s under the cabin filter under the bonnet but could be wrong

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Last edited:
OP
K

kalab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it's a 216 with two batteries the starter battery is clearly visible under the bonnet. The second consumer battery is at the back of the boot behind the rear panel and on the right hand side. Getting the panel out is tricky so best "google" it to find instructions on how to do it. This is for a LHD version so I cannot tell you if RHD is any different.

Is it possible that it only has one battery? How would I tell? (I know, you won't be able to find it) Is there an entry for this on the data card?

OP
K

kalab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it's a 216 with two batteries the starter battery is clearly visible under the bonnet. The second consumer battery is at the back of the boot behind the rear panel and on the right hand side. Getting the panel out is tricky so best "google" it to find instructions on how to do it. This is for a LHD version so I cannot tell you if RHD is any different.

This might help:

https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/6yi77-mercedes-benz-cl-550-coupe-consumer-battery-located.html

The garage I took it to suggested it was behind the rear seats, they looked and could not find it. Nor was it under the cabin filter, at least where the cabin filter was supposed to be on the video was a fuse and solenoid box, but I looked under that as well.

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Is it possible that it only has one battery? How would I tell? (I know, you won't be able to find it) Is there an entry for this on the data card?
Have you considered it may be the starter motor? I ask because I had a similar problem with my car, turned out to be the starter motor. When Cole replaced the original, the car spun over like a turbine in comparison to before, on the same old battery.

anglaslt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LHD B63S Brabus (CL63 AMG) and RHD BMW X3 M40i
Kalab,

I'm pretty sure if it's pre facelift it will have two batteries and the main battery (consumer battery) is behing the panel at the back of the boot. I don't think you can access it from inside the car. You have to remove the boot side panels and then the rear panel I believe.

Because access is difficult they may not get changed as often as they should.

Google how to access the consumer battery in MB W216 and hopefully you'll find the info. you need.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Starter battery under the hood as you’d normally expect. Consumer battery sits over the right rear wheel.

OP
K

kalab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thankyou all for your suggestion, its time to strip out the boot, i'll let you know what I find.
As to the other point, has anybody checked their ql code to see if matches their car?

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 09/09 (2010 my M273 Engine) Now completed 40K Palladium/Black
CL 500 Model

My understanding is that Late 2008 vehicle "build date" was when MB reverted to a single battery set up.

June 2009 was the next important "build date" when square mirrors, studded pedals, DAB Radio, left hinged number console cover, split screen video, alternative colours etc., etc. were implemented.

June 2010 was the next date when the new engine, body panels and different exterior lights came in until the new S Class Coupe in 2014 was introduced.

It is important to only refer to "build dates" regarding facelift changes, as vehicles are sometimes not registered for 12 months or more after this, as can be seen by 2010 registered cars without DAB or more importantly the square mirrors.

This is the major giveaway when looking at photographs of advertised cars.

Michael

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom