CLC wiper problems (with rain sensor)

imspringcleaning

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 2008 1.8 Kompressor
Having looked at the many posts on wiper issues I seem to have a slightly different issue and wondered if the many more experienced posters could shed some light (it's a CLC 2008)

- Position 0 (manual - on pressing the stalk) - wipers operate when button pressed but stop as soon as button released without returning to home.

- Position 1 (auto wipe) - when it rains the wipers start fine - do about 10 wipes and then stop (anywhere not necessarily in "home"), they don't restart unless the engine has been turned off even if it rains more.

- Positions 2&3 (continuous) work for about 10 or so wipes and then stop in random position.

In all cases either pressing the stalk button end, or changing the stalk position will get me another 10 wipes or so! (this got a bit wearing on my 5 hour journey yesterday as i had to push the stalk every 30 seconds!!!)

So....reading other posts I have:
- checked fuses and rotated them (no change)

from what I've read I'm guessing it could be
- the wiper arm needing replacing, or
- a dry solder joint with the N10 (if indeed my car has one! I'm a newbie)

but what I am really hoping is that someone with experience is going to tell me I just need to grease something, or clean a contact or that there is some nifty way to reset the wipers.

Thanks as always for reading and helping.:confused:
Christine

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
There are switches in the wiper motor housing, and one of them has likely failed. The wiper motor is not registering a whole wipe and that's why it goes continuously.

You need to get the motor housing off and have a look I think.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I too think the parking switch has failed or a gear wheel has jumped some teeth, so a new wiper motor or one from a breaker.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom