Clean and polish

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Having a slight issue uploading from phone at the mo.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The front has loads of stone chips that I couldn't see before, so I cannot do much about that. The back end is in good condition which isn't a surprise. It took me abou 6.5 hours today.

IMG_20180526_155653.jpg IMG_20180526_155702.jpg IMG_20180526_155712.jpg IMG_20180526_155726.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bet you had fun though :D . I bet you are pleased with the results as well
Yes I am, but I think that I could have done more paint correction, after the car had been cleaned/ clay bar I could see things more. I probably should have used more of a cutting compound. The clay bar was really dirty. I will never comment on the price of detailing again! They deserve every penny.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I think that I could have done more paint correction, after the car had been cleaned/ clay bar I could see things more.

That’s the problem when you start the cleaning. Once you have a clean surface the imperfections will stand out more.

I probably should have used more of a cutting compound.

Not unless you intended to spend the same amount of time refining and removing the micro marring you introduced, which is unavoidable.

The clay bar was really dirty.

You didn’t use the full bar did you?

This is how mine end up when I’m ready to clay. If it looks worse than this after a panel then you really need to do more decontamination prior.

b0797876e75e60be7aa9c19213e66522.jpg

f0a119882ebab64a7821855280d785ff.jpg

To answer your other question re the DA.

Yes speed matters. Get the panel to hot and you risk burning through the clearcoat. Not sure what machine you have. But as a beginner for a DA, generally no higher than 4 - 4.5k rpm depending on it’s throw.

No you can’t use the same pad for everything.

As a general rule until you become experienced with the machine.

Cutting compound with a cutting pad only
Polishing compound with a polishing pad only
Finishing compound with a finishing pad only.

Once you get more experience and are happy how the machine works. Then you can start to play around eg.

Cutting compound on a polishing pad, polishing compound on a cutting pad etc etc.

Re the rain affecting things. As long as the paintwork is dry when you apply the top (sacrificial) layer, and stays dry whilst it cures then you should be ok. Otherwise the longevity may be affected and you would generally need to re-apply. If the weather is good tomorrow then there is no harm in rinsing the car off, drying thoroughly and applying another coat of the sealant/wax.

I had a marquee with sides so that I could continue working in all but the worst weather.

I will never comment on the price of detailing again! They deserve every penny.

Lol. A lot of people don’t realise the amount of time and effort that goes into making a car look good.

But yours is looking good and you should be proud of it.

Lovely looking car too.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a thought, is it better practice to blank out reg plates?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Just had a thought, is it better practice to blank out reg plates?

Why? You don’t blank them out when you drive around.

It’s a personal choice really. I just live by what I put above.

Although I like my cars I’m not that attached to them that I’m worried they will get stolen.

If I had an E63S then it would be a different story.....

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s the problem when you start the cleaning. Once you have a clean surface the imperfections will stand out more.

Not unless you intended to spend the same amount of time refining and removing the micro marring you introduced, which is unavoidable.

You didn’t use the full bar did you?

This is how mine end up when I’m ready to clay. If it looks worse than this after a panel then you really need to do more decontamination prior.

b0797876e75e60be7aa9c19213e66522.jpg

f0a119882ebab64a7821855280d785ff.jpg

To answer your other question re the DA.

Yes speed matters. Get the panel to hot and you risk burning through the clearcoat. Not sure what machine you have. But as a beginner for a DA, generally no higher than 4 - 4.5k rpm depending on it’s throw.

No you can’t use the same pad for everything.

As a general rule until you become experienced with the machine.

Cutting compound with a cutting pad only
Polishing compound with a polishing pad only
Finishing compound with a finishing pad only.

Once you get more experience and are happy how the machine works. Then you can start to play around eg.

Cutting compound on a polishing pad, polishing compound on a cutting pad etc etc.

Re the rain affecting things. As long as the paintwork is dry when you apply the top (sacrificial) layer, and stays dry whilst it cures then you should be ok. Otherwise the longevity may be affected and you would generally need to re-apply. If the weather is good tomorrow then there is no harm in rinsing the car off, drying thoroughly and applying another coat of the sealant/wax.

I had a marquee with sides so that I could continue working in all but the worst weather.

Lol. A lot of people don’t realise the amount of time and effort that goes into making a car look good.

But yours is looking good and you should be proud of it.

Lovely looking car too.
Thanks mate. Regarding the clay bar, I cut into 4 pieces, and ended up using 50%. In the end I went for speed 4. That was esdiea for me to manage the 'Argos challenge extreme DA'. I will at some point require more pads.
Luckily for me the rain stayed away. So hopefully that will be it for a year.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why? You don’t blank them out when you drive around.

It’s a personal choice really. I just live by what I put above.

Although I like my cars I’m not that attached to them that I’m worried they will get stolen.

If I had an E63S then it would be a different story.....
Ha ha good point. I'm not bothered, it's not a £100k car.

BTW my clay bars looked like yours.

Last edited:
OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your help with this Carl, and everyone else that gave great advice on the detail. I'm very far from understanding this but feel I made a start. Cherrs Andy.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Road rash is a pain Andy- on picture my car looks stunning but as Carl says the more you do the more it highlights these imperfections - even with Chipex it’s not perfect . Lighter and silver cars don’t highlight so much

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Road rash is a pain Andy- on picture my car looks stunning but as Carl says the more you do the more it highlights these imperfections - even with Chipex it’s not perfect . Lighter and silver cars don’t highlight so much
That validates all the comments about blacks cars. I really struggled with the front end, also with all the fidldy bits. Is road rash just small bits hitting the paint work?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That validates all the comments about blacks cars. I really struggled with the front end, also with all the fidldy bits. Is road rash just small bits hitting the paint work?
Exactly that. The lovely wax and polish we do unfortunately highlight it!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
When peoples cars are covered in sh1t you don't see any minor imperfections. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
When you look at your finished car you will see the imperfections, anyone else will think "That's Stunning.".

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When peoples cars are covered in sh1t you don't see any minor imperfections. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
When you look at your finished car you will see the imperfections, anyone else will think "That's Stunning.".
I did start to get to get a little precious, I found myself trying to find them. When the closed the car door she said, "Sorry I've just left a hand mark!" I was not pleased.

Ps I think we had some dirty rain last night, the car is a state! :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Arghhhh- ditto! Had it all over preened and ready for the meet today , got up the morning and it’s a heap of dust!
Can’t do anything now....:(

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
But now you've finished it you'll be amazed how quick and easy a wash is.

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But now you've finished it you'll be amazed how quick and easy a wash is.
Hopefully :D

In for a while can I get away with.

Foam wash.
Two bucket clean.
dry
and then the finish coat - Sonax BSD

Shouldn't need to polish for a while, fingers crossed.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hopefully :D

In for a while can I get away with.

Foam wash.
Two bucket clean.
dry
and then the finish coat - Sonax BSD

Shouldn't need to polish for a while, fingers crossed.
Yep , no problems with that . I almost never polish my car , I think it was maybe done 5 years ago , the paint still looks good . I just yearly clay bar the paint and then wax or spray something every 2-3 months . With washing every couple of weeks

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom