Cleaning up under wheel arches .. Of CL500

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I thought I would have a go washing under the car, the exhaust and the tubes ine sees under the wheel arch.
No not massively paranoid. Just this car spent 3 years 12 miles from the seaside, and wow does that get at alluminium and steel.

The exhaust looks pretty corroded, for a 2009 40K car, more than say on my 2005 SL500. :(

IMO all expensive cars should come with stainless steel exhausts.
:-/

Real pig of a job.

OK first pass at it.
image.jpg

What I need is a non caustic engine bay cleaner , as some of these pipes are painted, and also painted parts of the body are exposed , and those are the areas I Really want to clean off any salt residues. Any views
E.g. i would never use Autglyms Engine Cleaner, that worked like paintstripper on my lovely Honda Professional mower and the MD of Autoglyms is a total bastard ... Always wish I had had the time to take them to court ...but I was just too busy with work.

Afterwards Can I spray all these painted parts and body, aluminium, rubber gaskets, gaskets on ball joints and suspension bushes with 303 Aerospace? To help preserve them.
Obviously p I will wrap the Disks/Rotors and brake parts up in a plastic bag. And the exposed suspension strut (in case that pulls any 303 back into the seals of these struts.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
TFR is the best stuff - available from Eurocar parts. Their stuff shifts everything. As for dressing, on all our sales prep stuff we cover the engine bay in WD40 and then leave it for 15 mins, then wipe over with a rag. Its rubber friendly, leave a good clean shine and also protects!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
TFR is the best stuff - available from Eurocar parts. Their stuff shifts everything. As for dressing, on all our sales prep stuff we cover the engine bay in WD40 and then leave it for 15 mins, then wipe over with a rag. Its rubber friendly, leave a good clean shine and also protects!

Thanks, but I particularly want something that is non caustic. After my Autoglyms engine cleaner experience .. It too shifts everything including clearcoat and paint!!

I thought WD40 would erode some rubbers e.g. Rub some on certain rubber and a white cloth turns black, whereas silicone doesnt. But I am not sure if silicone is totally rubber friendly

Want to do this type of area

image.jpg

Last edited:

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200

Most TFR'S are caustic, we sold thousands of gallons, can be very searching.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom