CLK 230K Ignition / Electrical Problem

simon155x

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230K
Hi,

I've had a series if problems recently. Some seem trivial but I'll detail all just in case they are relevant.

First, the car went dead and wouldn't start. We wondered if this was due to having lights left on.. jumped it and all seemed ok. Once in a while we got the problem where the car wouldn't shift up from first gear (automatic). We pulled over, restarted it, and it resumed normal operation.

More recently, the headlights both seemed to blow, one after the other, and we replaced them both. All seemed ok. Then another problem with needing a jump start. Noticed the radio now won't turn on.

A week or so ago, there were a series of problems together. The windows wouldn't go all the way up without jolting / stopping. The indicators wouldn't work etc. A guy who deals with electrics locally said it may be something to do with the N10. He gave it a wiggle and all seemed ok again.

We're starting to notice problems every time it rains though - the BAS lights come on regularly. I now can't start the car. It's raining heavily and a few minutes ago the HORN started to sound. Then it did it again... then it stopped. Going into the car I discovered the horn no longer works. Looked through the fuses and found fuse 40 blown. Replaced it. Horn still doesn't work though.

What's worse is the car now won't start - I'm unable to turn the key in the ignition. Emergency lights work. Windows work. Headlights work. What's causing all these issues to pop up? Is the rain in any way related to the problem I'm having now / is there somewhere I need to check for a leak, or am I missing something else?

Help please - need to know whats going on and how to fix it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The first thing to do is to get the battery charged and then check for any drain by measuring the quiescent current.

Does the remote still lock the car, what ever you do you must stop the jumping the car and fix the battery problems, never jump the car with the key in the ignition.

If all the windows are off the memory has been lost through the flat battery

FELLOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208/1999/320
Access

Try your key in the boot - give it a waggle WD40 / PTFE SPRAY - when the battery goes flat access can often be difficult. If you can't gain access.

Rather than jump the car from other points charge and use your key to acceess the boot - recharge the battery and start ratherr than jump.

If the boot lock doesn't work until your electrics are sorted leave one rear seat released.

If you have the convertible access to the boot can be a bigger problem. In coupes remove the first aid kit and push down on the seat release cable.

Sorry just thinking ahead at the problems I ended up with - good luck.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom