CLK broken roof, making it manual ?

Bwian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2002 2.3
Hi,
I have just bought a CLK 2002 2.3, Its been bought for a charity event, where we turn the cars into crazy things then drive them from the UK to Benidorm for Charity. (We decided on Wacky Races Mean Machine) Usually the cars are then scrapped, but I like this little beast and thinking of driving it home after.
anyway.
The roof doesn't work, I knew it when I bought it and we aren't too fussed about it working. But I didn't know how difficult it would be to lower the roof.

The car is not worth any big expense, and anything we can save goes into the Charity pot.

finally my question, If I go in the boot and remove the pump completely (or disconnect the pipes), then drained any fluid, would I be able to manually pull the roof down and up with out going back in the boot? I believe there are 1 or 2 catches that need to be engaged, but I could probably do something with them.

I just needed to know this is ok before I spent the afternoon removing bolts.

Thanks in advance
Tony

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Assuming it's a w208 CLK? You can open a screw on the pump to allow the fluid to bypass the valve block, thereby allowing you to operate the roof manually. There is a combi tool in the toolkit with a spanner and an Allen key on it. The Allen key is used in the "ceiling" of the boot to release the central soft top lock. The spanner slides in behind the rear seat leather, between the headrests to release the rear deck latch.

OP
B

Bwian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2002 2.3
hi, thanks for the reply, yes its a w208. I'll try that, there wasn't a toolkit in the car :( i'll have a look ok Ebay.
thanks again
tony

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You can get away with a regular 6mm allen key, and the spanner is 10, 11 or possibly 12mm. The specific tool is handy, but not essential

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What happens when you try the roof button? Anything at all? May be an easy fix.

OP
B

Bwian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2002 2.3
Sorry for delay. When I turn the roof handle it begins the cycle, the windows go down, but stops there. When i pull the switch, it starts flashing slowly.
(If i open the cover in the boot, the switch flashes fast). Nothing happens apart from the flashing light.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Suppose we have checked the battery?

OP
B

Bwian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2002 2.3
The battery 'seems' ok, It wouldn't turn the engine when I bought the car a week ago and we had to use jump leads, It had a 10mile run to my house and now sits on my drive. it starts fine now. how would I check the battery is ok? this is my first merc, My first convertible.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
If you do it whilst the engine is running. It rules out the battery.

If nothing happens at all when press the button (apart from the slow flashing light) then it's probably the windows not being normalised.

Lower the windows all the way down on the first click by holding the window down button, then click them to the second position once they are fully down.

Do the same with the up position. The windows should now go to the top and the bottom with one touch,once done, try the roof again.

OP
B

Bwian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2002 2.3
Ahh, you may be onto something, the drivers window is very slow, and sometimes stick and goes a little wonky, I've had to straighten in by hand so it will go down, its like its coming out of its runner. I'll strip the door down when I get a chance, see whats wrong.
thanks so much for your help.
last time I worked on a car like this they had carburettors and HT leads, central locking was posh! simple days.

Top Bottom