1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLK bubbling wheel arches

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Dobbie, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:28 PM.

1. Dobbie

Dobbie Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/06/petrol
    I have been the second owner of a 2006 CLK500 for eight years. Always garaged and, I thought, well looked after! Looks pristine inside and out with only 118,000 miles, except, now has paint bubbling around both rear wheel arches!

Is there a satisfactory solution to this or is it the beginning of the end? I love the car and would like to enjoy it for another year or two if possible.

2. JBell

JBell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
    You need a good bodyshop to cut it out and replace then seal it all properly

3. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Bubbling rust on MB rear wheel arches is sadly not uncommon. We did our 230 last summer. Now its done should be good for another few years.
    As said take it to a good bodyshop and have them cut it out, weld in new and refinish it.

4. peterws1957

peterws1957 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
    Depends how bad the rust is under the bubbling paint of course. If you've caught it early cutting out may not be necessary. Wire wheeling on an angle grinder is very effective in removing rust but you have to be thorough. Done this many times. Don't rely on rust converters though which in my experience never work for other than a short time.

5. rf065

rf065 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 220CDi - SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    I have a 2005 CLK with rust on all 4 arches. It was repaired by MB after it first started at 4.5 years old, and again when the rust returned at 6 years old. Sadly the rust has returned last year (now 12 years old) but as I plan to sell it soon it's not worth me repairing.
    Just a thought on using a garage, I read somewhere that rust can really take hold at 40% humidity. I have a gadget for measuring humidity and as it says the house is usually around 35% I thought I would try it in the detached garage, it rocketed up to over 80% and might be why a garage is not a good place to keep a car in the damp UK climate.

Russ

6. Dell

Dell Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C class C200 CDI blueeffiency sports estate ( obsidian black)
    No matter where you get it repaired and if they weld in new metal or not make sure they cold galvanise the bare steel as that will hold rust at bay for a lot longer,also make sure they seal it properly.
    Dell

7. OP
    Dobbie

Dobbie Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/06/petrol

8. OP
    Dobbie

Dobbie Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/06/petrol
    May I thank all respondents for your kindness and advice. I have learnt a lot from you and much appreciate it.

Dell and LostKiwi like this.