CLK roof noises

SteveX

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Not sure if you saw my post in suspension around taking the front of my car apart about 10 times and replacing everything to cure a clonk over bumps, but I eventually found out it's the roof!!!

It's a W209, and there is a distinct clonk and rattle when the car is twisting, so left wheel down or up vs the right wheel, going over a bump with the wheels at the same time, IE sleeping policeman is fine.

It's definitely coming from where the roof attaches to the front, the sound kind of comes through the pillars and near the dash, hence I thought it was the top mounts and suspension I had recently changed.

I've had the roof part way down, and shaken the roof, the frame is solid, and there appears to be just two rather solid catches at the front near the top of the screen. I can't see any obvious way's to adjust it, and it opens and closes perfectly. When it's up it's locked on solid, can't move it or shake it and lines up perfect, when it's in the boot, again all locked away nice and solid.

The obvious difference, when it's down, no noise (apart from a very minor creak from the hood compartment which you can barely hear). When it's up, clonk and rattle over uneven road surfaces.

The rubbers and hinges / joints were all cleaned by me and lubed with silicon earlier this year and was perfect.

No clue what is causing the noise or how to resolve at the moment.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Hmm, appears to be the little claw thingy attached to the rood on the passenger side. Where it has a spindle going through I can move the little claw left or right and it makes a clacking noise, very minute in terms of less than a mm of movement. Wonder if this is causing it.

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Right, I noticed there are two small rubber pegs / buffers near the claws, they are quite worn down, going to order some new one's and pop them in, can't be a bad thing and only a few quid each.

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Found a VERY useful video, assume the latches are similar on the CLK, this is the sort of noise:

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Sorted, temporarily re-shimmed the latching plate with fibre washers, just ordered two new pads from Mercedes and will swap it over when the weather is better, but no noise for now!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom