CLK W209 Head Rest Problem

richardjcf

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem with the head rest on the passenger seat of my CLK 320 convertable. The problem is that when the seat is tipped forward to allow someone to get into the back seat the head rest goes down as normal, the problem is that when the seat is tipped fully forward the headrest then extends trapping the seat in the fully tipped forward position, brute force is required to get the seat back in it's correct position. I understand it will be a switch in the seat problem but which one? Any suggestions/help is most welcome.

Thank

mlandry04

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml320/2006
Hi i had a problem with my headrests not the same as yours and it was just a loose wire. It must be the sensor/switch that thinks the seat is back in position playing up and thinking the seat has been locked back in position i would have alook under the seat for anything loose i am sure someone will be on soon who can tell you just the right place to look or has had the same problem you do get some great advice on this forum goodluck.

gyoung73

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2005/320
W209 Headrest Problem - SOLVED

I've seen the problem on my own CLK W209 and lots of discussion but few solutions.

I removed the back panel of the seat (two screws at the bottom), which are star drives.

Then i disconnected the motor for 5 minutes and reconnected it.

Now the headrest goes up and down without a problem. Previously it would only move when pulling the seat forward for rear passenger entry. Photos can be provided if required.

jpowell79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209/2003/55 AMG
Hi i had a problem with my headrests not the same as yours and it was just a loose wire. It must be the sensor/switch that thinks the seat is back in position playing up and thinking the seat has been locked back in position i would have alook under the seat for anything loose i am sure someone will be on soon who can tell you just the right place to look or has had the same problem you do get some great advice on this forum goodluck.

does anyone have any more info on this?

My issue seems to be with whatever sensor detects that the seat is being tilted forward. I compared the drivers seat with the passenger seat to see what was acting differently. When I tilt forward the passenger (working) seat slightly, I hear a tiny click, and the headrest starts moving down. When I re-engage the seat back to its resting position, it once again moves up.

On my drivers seat however, the motion of tilting the seat forwards does not appear to activate the sensor to bring the headrest down. The motor itself is working, as I got it working after fiddling around with it for a while....but it's like the "tilt" sensor is not speaking with the headrest motor, informing it of its position.

I heard that you can "normalise" the seating positions.... do I have to remove fuse#1, #29 and #34 to do this? And also, if I remove them, should the car just reset itself once it detects the fuses are back in?

thanks

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom