CLK320 Key won't turn in ignition

Kevin Attwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320
Hi All, After a bit of advice please. My CLK 320 has been parked up for a about 5/6 weeks prior to that was used daily a few minor faults but started and drove fine. I have just been to start it and its completely dead, key won't turn in igntion, windows not go up and down when opened, so I thought flat battery, problem now being I can not open the boot either to jump or charge the battery. Can anyone help with any advice on my next move please?+

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello & welcome,

you should be able to use the metal key to open the boot, if it's a bit stuck then lubricant and work the key until it moves. If it's completely jammed up then an electric toothbrush fixed to the metal key with loads of lubricant can free it up. Just vibrate it until it frees. From there you should be able to get into the boot to change the battery.

You should also have a +Ve connection under the bonnet that you can hook power to, to charge the the battery

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Hi Kevin, You may be unaware that there is a metal spine in your key. The small release button at the very back of the key slides across to release that metal spine. That's what Steve is referring to.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
exactly , had same issue 5.7 yr ago . when sorted a regular check of boot key and some lube a real good idea . when this first happened to me i had to dremel out some of the rear shelf under 1st aid kit ,then get my hand in to yank seat back cable so i could get into boot . now i dont fully lock rear seat section,just in case.... then i had to dismantle the boot key barrel and re file the brass keys to get it to work ,been grand since .as above terminals under bonnet for jump start ,advise DONT use power pack to start ,without having some things on , lights ect , can blow reg if too much charge in power pack or at least did mine with jump from oversize new full charge batt.? another car and jump leads fine. refer to your handbook all in there .

OP
K

Kevin Attwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320
Hi All, Thanks for your replies. I didn't initially realise there was jumping points under the bonnet, my boot did open when I last used it so hopefully just needs power. I'll keep you updated on how i get on.....
On another note what are these worth spares or repairs mot just expired and I havent really got time or inclination to spend time and money getting through a test??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On another note what are these worth spares or repairs mot just expired and I havent really got time or inclination to spend time and money getting through a test??
<£500 with no MOT, plenty of £500 Mercedes on autortrader with MOT's and the £500 is just a starting figure...

OP
K

Kevin Attwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320
If I could get £400 for her I'd be happy, she only got £650 back in April, but body work bit scappy and needs other things for MOT too shes been fun.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
DONT use power pack to start ,without having some things on , lights ect , can blow reg if too much charge in power pack or at least did mine with jump from oversize new full charge batt.? another car and jump leads fine. refer to your handbook all in there .

Another car and jump leads fine? Yes but only if done correctly and not many people will do it properly.

I've posted this link several times but always worth another posting....
>>>The only way you should jump start with jump leads on any modern car<<<

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom