CLK55 W208 buying advice

Johnsbegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito
hi,

Currently looking at getting a CLK55 AMG W208.

Is there any areas to look out for bar the rust issues?

Gearbox? Clonking noises, engine misfires at certain rev ranges everything basically?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Paul

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
hi,

Currently looking at getting a CLK55 AMG W208.

Is there any areas to look out for bar the rust issues?

Gearbox? Clonking noises, engine misfires at certain rev ranges everything basically?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Paul

The 55 engine is near bullet proof.

Go for as new and as low miles as possible. There are a few 52/03 plated W208's around. Lovely cars.

OP
J

Johnsbegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito
Cheers. I was looking at one to keep and perfect by getting rid of scratches and service the auto box etc etc. Maybe swap over the engine mounts if U get what I mean. Just wanted to know of known faults that would be costly to repair like ignition packs or air con compressors.

Cheers

Paul

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i have the 320 W208 01 bought in 2004 with about 70k miles on it.its been a grand car, rear wheel arches can be an issue and some pixels have disappeared on the dash display,if oil pressure on the 55 good and it drives well when cold,warm you ought to be ok

i have changed the following on mine
front pads x2 sets and wheel bearings
front discs
climate control unit
alt reg
M.A.F
serpentine belt
all plugs
steering wheel menu buttons both sides . they just seem to become sticky on the surface after a few yrs ,despite a no eat drink inside policy ?
oil and filter every yr, about 3500 miles
rear pads
trans oil change x2
diff oil change x2
2x batteries
many many driving light bulbs ?
thats about it. to do ,center prop bearing and rear section exhaust miles 125k miles. i am nuts about keeping it clean in ,out and under. engine bay looks new !! i am happy enough with that. hope you find a good one

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
If you drive it and it has a miss, or messes around at high revs etc, don't be put off but just budget for doing a full service including plugs and a new MAF sensor too. I changed absolutely everything when I first got my c43 (same engine) and it's been 100% good as gold with full, crisp power ever since.

OP
J

Johnsbegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito
Cheers guys. The one I’m looking at has high miles, 155k but has a decent service history. I won’t drive it massively as I’m always in my van as I’m an electrician. I drive a vw so know all about high prices for parts but I know merc parts are really really expensive. I’m very handy with a spanner and done quite a lot of mechanical work on cars and vans plus my mate is a great mechanic so don’t mind doing preventative maintenance if it will save money in the long run and make the car run sweeter.
Cheers
Paul

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Merc parts are in general pretty reasonable. AMG parts on the other hand.....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Merc parts are in general pretty reasonable. AMG parts on the other hand.....

actually i found toyota parts as dear as mb when i had a double cab !!!

OP
J

Johnsbegood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito
Yeah the parts from Land Rover r amazingly expensive as well.
Yes no abc. Another reason for not going for an S55 or CL55.
Thanks again guys for ur advice.

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
I find Merc parts prices cheaper than Ford, don't buy from main dealer obviously, I have a CLK 320 and if the 55 is a variant of the M112/113 engine then it will have 2 spark plugs per cylinder which can be expensive although they last a long time I think 100k on mine. The only other thing that I find wear out are front suspension bushes, anti-roll bar and ball joints.

The_Don

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few v8 Amg
Hi
A regular service history is imperative, engine is bulletproof with a Fsh imperative, nice choice of old school Amg.
Enjoy

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Mercedes parts are very reasonably priced when compared to many. The ones I have found to be horrendous are Audi.

Just for info though Kawasaki are in a league of their own for parts. More expensive than Ducati!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yeah the parts from Land Rover r amazingly expensive as well.
Yes no abc. Another reason for not going for an S55 or CL55.
Thanks again guys for ur advice.
Clearly you're mistaken, the only valid reason for not going to a CL is wanting a softtop :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom