Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Thanks Wighty woukd have missed that.

Op I will pm you

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Strange issue with my CLK today. Headed off to work and car started fine, then 2 minutes up the road, I remembered that I'd forgotten something so headed back home. Pulled up outside and ran in the house to grab what I needed (was in the house all of 2 minutes) and then came back out, jumped in the car, and now I just get this noise of presumably the starter motor trying to start the engine, but doesn't actually crank.

I have an ELM327 WiFi OBDII gizmo and an app on my phone called "FourStroke" which pulls up the error codes on the car, and I'm getting a P0112 error code.

Feel like I'm going down the rabbit hole with this one as so far from looking on google, from what I can tell it could be the MAF sensor, the CPS, the fuel pump or an electrical fault! :-(

What's making me think that maybe it's not the CPS is that it doesn't start regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold, and I've read that normally if the CPS is faulty, it will normally work if you let it cool down for half an hour or so. It makes no difference and still won't start even after leaving the car for two hours.

What's making me think its' not the MAF sensor, is that most people say a MAF issue really affects vehicle performance, but won't stop the car from actually starting.

I guess it could be the fuel pump, but wouldn't that bring up a different fault code? I can clear the P0112 code with the app, then turn the key, hear the noise and the error code comes straight back again.

I checked the fuse in the boot for the fuel pump and that looks fine. I also swapped the relay for another identical one I borrowed from the fuse board under the bonnet (Hella 12v 4RA 002 542 26 19) that does another job, but that still didn't work so doubt it's that.

I uploaded a quick video of the noise (unfortunately the sound isn't great - Also please ignore the 3-4 "dunk" noises at the start of the video as that's an unrelated issue of a plastic cog hidden away behind the dash that controls air-con direction...apparently a common fault on the CLK's)

YouTube clip of car not starting

What do you guys think?

What I'm thinking I'll do is firstly change the CPS (this one)
and if that doesn't work, then change the MAF (this one)

and either of those don't work then possibly a new fuel pump?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtKAAPnXgQ check this is it relevant to yr drama..
i missed a bit of yrs , when my clk MAF failed it still started and seemed to run on a basic map seems you have .maybe more than one issue ,if you can get it on star as the 3 items you are thinking about wont be peanuts .sort of sounds like bad earth or shot starter, but difficult to be sure. good luck.

Last edited:
OP
J

jpowell79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209/2003/55 AMG
It looks like the car might be heading for the scrapyard :(

Huge thanks to Alex from AMF for all the advice given, and for taking the time to discuss the issues with the mechanic at the garage the car is currently sat at.

Any suggestions? Stick it on eBay for parts?

Anybody want to buy a CLK55 non-starter? :rolleyes:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to update the thread, I have spoken with the garage that the car is at, and have gone through what they are seing, and it does look like the engine has jumped timing by about 8 degrees....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wouldn't think it would be that expensive or difficult to rectify that surely (as long as valves and pistons haven't been mating under the cylinder head)?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't think it would be that expensive or difficult to rectify that surely (as long as valves and pistons haven't been mating under the cylinder head)?

Its more finding out why, timing case needs to be removed. I suspect broken guide on the tensioner side.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Again not a major job?

I believe the op has a large bill with the garage already and is keen to reduce the amount spent. We are unaware of any damage to valves etc as the heads are still on.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sorry to read this its a real downer, the car needs an enthusiast with time and who does not need to incur labor costs then it could turn out ok

OP
J

jpowell79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209/2003/55 AMG
what I don't really understand is how the car can go from working perfectly fine, no issues at all. I drove for a few minutes, realized I'd forgotten something so turn the car back round, pull up outside my house, run in to grab something, come back out 30 seconds later, try to start the car, and now it stops working and the chain is all out of place? from that moment, the car hasn't moved. It was towed to the garage, and since then all that's really happened is a gearbox drop to change the CPS, and an ECU swap-out?

Is it a case that it's been slipping degree-by-degree over time and finally it's got to the point where the car just suddenly decides, "nope, enough is enough, I'm not starting for you!" ?

As I say, it wasn't like the car had issues prior to the fault, it was driving perfectly well :(

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
what I don't really understand is how the car can go from working perfectly fine, no issues at all. I drove for a few minutes, realized I'd forgotten something so turn the car back round, pull up outside my house, run in to grab something, come back out 30 seconds later, try to start the car, and now it stops working and the chain is all out of place? from that moment, the car hasn't moved. It was towed to the garage, and since then all that's really happened is a gearbox drop to change the CPS, and an ECU swap-out?

Is it a case that it's been slipping degree-by-degree over time and finally it's got to the point where the car just suddenly decides, "nope, enough is enough, I'm not starting for you!" ?

As I say, it wasn't like the car had issues prior to the fault, it was driving perfectly well :(

It will run OK but be down on power when the timing is off by 1/2 degrees. Any more and it will refuse to run as the ECU cannot get the correct sync between the cam/crank.

Chains tend to jump when started so its probably done it as you went to crank it.

OP
J

jpowell79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209/2003/55 AMG
It will run OK but be down on power when the timing is off by 1/2 degrees. Any more and it will refuse to run as the ECU cannot get the correct sync between the cam/crank.

Chains tend to jump when started so its probably done it as you went to crank it.

Hi Alex, yep it was fine just before I pulled up to the house, so I doubt it was even out by half a degree at the time. Perhaps at that moment the tensioner just so happened to give way?

Last year the tensioner on the aux belt just popped on me as I drove to work and I lost power steering and the belt sheared, etc, so could the same thing happen on the chain tensioner?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Probably a different thing entirely. The chain guides on most modern cars are made from a low friction plastic. Over time and when subjected to oil and heat these have been known to crack or fracture. In your case I suspect the plastic guide has broken up hence the tensioner can no longer tension the chain. If there isn't enough tension on the chain then it can jump teeth on the sprockets (much like a slack bicycle chain can jump teeth).
Now if you're lucky a new guide and chain and all will be right. Irrespective as Alex said the front of the timing cover will need to come off to verify whats happened and change the damaged parts.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hmmmm! NOT ME......

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably a different thing entirely. The chain guides on most modern cars are made from a low friction plastic. Over time and when subjected to oil and heat these have been known to crack or fracture. In your case I suspect the plastic guide has broken up hence the tensioner can no longer tension the chain. If there isn't enough tension on the chain then it can jump teeth on the sprockets (much like a slack bicycle chain can jump teeth).
Now if you're lucky a new guide and chain and all will be right. Irrespective as Alex said the front of the timing cover will need to come off to verify whats happened and change the damaged parts.

I feel like that's exactly what has happened.

Hi Alex, yep it was fine just before I pulled up to the house, so I doubt it was even out by half a degree at the time. ?

Chain wear will give it probably 1 degree at 130K miles without it having jumped.

OP
J

jpowell79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209/2003/55 AMG
still undecided what to do. :rolleyes:

Have been looking at a few new vehicle scrappage schemes and the deal on the mazda 3 looks pretty decent. £4k scrappage on the petrol and £6k on the diesel which is roughly the value of the Merc if it was working.

I've never really been one for buying brand new because of the depreciation, and the Mazda 3 isn't particularly exciting, but it's practical, economical, and the scrappage deal would almost cover the first years depreciation, so not too bad.

What I'm wondering though is if I should at least try to get the merc working by having the chain and guide done, and crossing my fingers that's all that the problem is.

What could I expect to pay to just get that done?

I guess what I'm thinking is that if it's only going to cost me £300-£400 to get those done to see if it fixes it, then it might be worth a gamble just to see if I can save it.

If on the other hand, we're talking 10+ hours labour to do the guide and chain, then it's probably not a risk worth taking, and I should just go with the scrappage offer.

It would be a shame to send it to the scrapyard....It wasn't a "mint" example AMG, but was a lovely car to drive, and always put a smile on my face when I floored it :D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom