CLS 219 - new tyre fitted - keep getting pressure warnings

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
So I’ve handed the CLS 219 down to my mum and the other day she had a flat tyre and didn’t realise so ran the tyre flat.

A new rear tyre was fitted at the local place the following day and I took the car a few miles today, only to get a red warning on the dashboard display telling me to check the tyre pressures. Now I checked all the pressures myself after the new tyre was fitted so I know they are correct. A double check confirms this. Any ideas why I’m getting this warning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to perform a reset after the pressures have been corrected.

Thank you Mioba!

I just found a video showing how to do it.

For completeness the link is below.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rather than start a new thread I’ll ask here.

The TPMS warnings and red warnings on the cluster have been coming on regularly for a few weeks now yet there is nothing wrong with the pressures.

Googling suggests the units may need changing and fleebay has some coded sets of 4 from around £130 up. Now before I get some, is there any way to just switch the alarms off?

(Imo these things are just plain stupid, if anyone cannot tell their tyre is a 2/3psi off then they shouldn’t be on the road imo, simples.)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

(Imo these things are just plain stupid, if anyone cannot tell their tyre is a 2/3psi off then they shouldn’t be on the road imo, simples.)

does that include your Mum ... ;)

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Is the TPMS on the W219 not monitored by the ABS sensor / pickup ring on the hubs ?

I replaced the wheels on my CLS and there were no TPMS fitted as it operated as above.

K

Reactions: DSK
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is the TPMS on the W219 not monitored by the ABS sensor / pickup ring on the hubs ?

I replaced the wheels on my CLS and there were no TPMS fitted as it operated as above.

K

Thank you for this. I assumed it was a sensor within the wheel but, when ever Inext get it near a ramp, I’ll have a good inspection underneath, unless it’s fixed before hand.

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Thank you for this. I assumed it was a sensor within the wheel but, when ever I get next get it near a ramp, I’ll have a good inspection underneath, unless it’s fixed before hand.

If it is done through the ABS sensors there will be nothing to see apart from the normal sensor , if it is knackered it will have an ABS / TC message on the dash , if it doesn`t then assume all is well with the sensor.

Mine was a 350 2010 model maybe the earlier 320`s operated using the sensors within the wheels ??

K

Reactions: DSK

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Thank you for this. I assumed it was a sensor within the wheel but, when ever Inext get it near a ramp, I’ll have a good inspection underneath, unless it’s fixed before hand.

There are 2 types of TPMS ... direct & indirect.
Direct has a pressure/temp sensor on the valve within the wheel/tyre. You'll be able to see the pressure within specific tyres.
Indirect uses the ABS to monitor each wheel's speed looking for a wheel that's going faster than the others. When it detects a faster wheel, it'll display a message to say that you have a soft tyre ..... it's then up to you to find it. This is really a tyre deflation monitor

simmon01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E 270 CDI, E 220 CDI & C180 Estate E280 CDI
The new tyre will trigger a code, its a greater circumference & will turn at a different speed.
Just reset.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car went in for a full service and I asked them to check and such sensors and nothing came to light. Oddly what ever it was has not reared its head for a few weeks now.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Some of them are sensitive to weather changes and to the fact that you perform the reset when the tyres are warm. In that case I recommend inflating the tyres to 5psi below where you want them to be, perform the reset, then go round and put the extra 5psi in. That way it gives you a little wiggle room before it shouts about a low pressure, but it’s still enough to warn you about a genuinely low tyre before it’s dangerous.

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Amazing! Can’t believe that never occurred to me about resetting it whilst on the move! I will always remember to do this when they are cold in future!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom