CLS Shooting break 320 AMG line

Sandbank12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 shooting brake
I am so disappointed with our latest Merc I had to share our issues, car was bought new by us and has a V pampered life, at 7k it hat to have two new front discs and pads as they had buckled, (execesive breaking was blamed) flat tyre warnings that are incorrect fails turbo seal at 1st service needed replacing and the best one yet “sir we have to re tighten your wheel bearings, this is a standard procedure and we only charge you £145. Probably will require this every year” despite all this we drove 255 miles to have the car serviced by the supplying dealer who forgot to replace the broken f number plate aulthough clearly detailed on the work sheet and as for a velet my grand children could have don a better job they completely missed the front quarter and half of the grill and as the car was covered in salt when we arrived it was pretty obvious where had been washed and where wasent. Is it just me or have things slipped, also if anyone out there could just confirm is an annual wheel bearing re set a standard item with all cars or only Merc’s never heard of this in 38 years of car ownership
Many thanks
Sorry to go on

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Wheel bearings should only require adjustment when they get a little loose. I wouldn't expect that to be every year. Also £145 sounds a little steep - its about a 15 minute job. Frankly I'd change who services my car.
You don't say where you are but if your username is a clue then MBS in Southampton are excellent and used by many on here.

OP
S

Sandbank12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 shooting brake
Hi thanks for your reply, I live in N Wales but drove the 250 miles to have the car serviced in Epsom where we bought it, they have a state of the art brand new show room and have always been brilliant as have the cars to be honest, I was just surprised at firstly the list of faults the car has. As it’s only covered 10k and one year old but I think more so at Merc’s apparent indifference we’ll cars go wrong what can you do attitude
Thanks again

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Don't tell us, you need to complain to the dealer customer service manager, ask for some discount.
Driving 250 miles for a service is crazy, it's only going to compound any disappointment...

OP
S

Sandbank12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 shooting brake
Tel me about it main reason I posted was to ask if anyone else had been advised to have front wheel bearings re tightened they claim every Merc requires this, can’t believe it to be honest especially as I have said this is our seventh and we have never had this before, sounds like a dealer revenue raiser to me

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
You’d be better off going to one of the good indies in the NW, eg MBTech or SPR Autos.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I am so disappointed with our latest Merc I had to share our issues, car was bought new by us and has a V pampered life, at 7k it hat to have two new front discs and pads as they had buckled, (execesive breaking was blamed) flat tyre warnings that are incorrect fails turbo seal at 1st service needed replacing and the best one yet “sir we have to re tighten your wheel bearings, this is a standard procedure and we only charge you £145. Probably will require this every year” despite all this we drove 255 miles to have the car serviced by the supplying dealer who forgot to replace the broken f number plate aulthough clearly detailed on the work sheet and as for a velet my grand children could have don a better job they completely missed the front quarter and half of the grill and as the car was covered in salt when we arrived it was pretty obvious where had been washed and where wasent. Is it just me or have things slipped, also if anyone out there could just confirm is an annual wheel bearing re set a standard item with all cars or only Merc’s never heard of this in 38 years of car ownership
Many thanks
Sorry to go on

What model is it as the heading says 320 which were I believed discontinued several years ago. Presumably the turbo seal was replaced under warranty?

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Tel me about it main reason I posted was to ask if anyone else had been advised to have front wheel bearings re tightened they claim every Merc requires this

Total rubbish spouted by the service manager. How they justify £145 is beyond me as well. You have had your pants well and truly pulled down unfortunately.

OP
S

Sandbank12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 shooting brake
Yes basically my words to them, and yes it’s the latest shooting brake CLS 320 I have placed a thumbnail pic
Thanks

Attachments

• 70A5521D-8302-4221-BAB6-1DC2C76B65C1.png
    70A5521D-8302-4221-BAB6-1DC2C76B65C1.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 43
OP
S

Sandbank12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 shooting brake
So sorry, yes you are all right old habits and all that my last CLS was the 320 this car is the new 550

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great looking car- presume it’s out of warranty?
If so as suggested a good Indy may be the best route- MB Tech and SPR, I can also recommend MD Autocare in Ellesmere Port.
My 212 is relatively recent and never needs the bearings retightened!
If you need MB dealer service then you’ve MB of North Wales (Inchcape)

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
Yes, I agree it's a looker all right. And after re-reading all the posts it is:-
Approx one year old!
Has 10k miles
Needed front discs at 7k miles!!
Has two more years of MB warranty!!!

Good thing you named and shamed the Epsom dealership as they have treated you very badly. Wheel bearings must be checked for excessive play at every service - it's included in the cost of the service - but nobody expects there to be a need to adjust after 10k miles - unless .............. the bearings were not correctly tightened when the discs were replaced 3k miles ago. The service adviser should have either adjusted them, and said nothing, thereby concealing shoddy work at 7k, or admitted the fault and adjusted free as a goodwiil gesture. His blatant cock and bull story is a disgrace, and if it were me I should speak to the service manager at Epsom to give him a chance to apologise and refund the #145. If no satisfaction then tell MBUK in MK

Probably wouldn't achieve much (or would it, MBUK?) but I'd feel better :):)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes, I agree it's a looker all right. And after re-reading all the posts it is:-
Approx one year old!
Has 10k miles
Needed front discs at 7k miles!!
Has two more years of MB warranty!!!

Good thing you named and shamed the Epsom dealership as they have treated you very badly. Wheel bearings must be checked for excessive play at every service - it's included in the cost of the service - but nobody expects there to be a need to adjust after 10k miles - unless .............. the bearings were not correctly tightened when the discs were replaced 3k miles ago. The service adviser should have either adjusted them, and said nothing, thereby concealing shoddy work at 7k, or admitted the fault and adjusted free as a goodwiil gesture. His blatant cock and bull story is a disgrace, and if it were me I should speak to the service manager at Epsom to give him a chance to apologise and refund the #145. If no satisfaction then tell MBUK in MK

Probably wouldn't achieve much (or would it, MBUK?) but I'd feel better :):)
Thanks Andy too tired last night/early morning to read the post throughly
Your course of action seems to make sense now!
Only difference is I would involve MB of North Wales rather than Epsom both for the avoidance of inconvenience and the fact they seem to be useless

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Were the brake discs replaced at the first service or was this noticed by brake judder or a warning light?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.............. the bearings were not correctly tightened when the discs were replaced 3k miles ago. ....
Does the hub have to be removed to replace the disc? It's been many years since I've had to remove a hub to change a disc :confused: a disc is usually only held on with the wheel (& a small M6 screwvwhen the wheel is off)

andynpz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 GLE 350d, navy-blue, --- SWMBO's car, 2007 SL 350, (R230) silver.
To be honest, I wasn't sure if hub needed to be removed, but even if it is a typical modern arrangement, one might expect the bearings to be checked for excessive play if the discs have been exerting sideways loads on them.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
3 MB to date and approx 55k miles between them... no bearings ever needed tightening.

In fact, only vehicle in 28 years that ever needed such was my first car, a 1972 Series Landy - and that was only because some muppet had put it on cross-threaded!

Has Epsom MB management changed since your last purchase? The quality of valet is a big indicator for me - if they can't get that right, does bode well for the bits you can't see!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Were the brake discs replaced at the first service or was this noticed by brake judder or a warning light?
My 212 required new front brakes at 4K miles due to judder, MB refused to do this under warranty citing “excessive braking practice”...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Comments like that are not only stupid (since they haven't been been with you ll the time) and possibly defamatory.

I hope you were able to "reason" with them Craig!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom