CLS Suspension Failure

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
For what its worth I spotted a CLS on the hard-shoulder of the M6 today with a n/s front wheel at 30deg (ish) to vertical apparently jammed in the front wing. I think it was a 55 plate reg.

It looked like he had managed to get it to the side safely, but it could have been a real nasty one, especially as the m/w was awash at the time.

Ernie

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could be a broken spring, it could do some damage moving it without lifting it, I wonder how they move them when this happens

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
More likely to be a knackered bottom balljoint I would have thought

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a bit new for that I would have thought

Rob law

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320
Spring

I have had all 4 springs placed on my CLS appears to be a fairly common fault, 500 for the front pair and 285 for the rear, lovely car full mbs service history 100k on the clock and lots of niggling problems happening now.

4th merc and never had problems with the others

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
Suspect snapped coil spring more and more common now days, had recoverd in on friday night owner parked up on return found wheel under wheel arch.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
A broken spring wouldn't make the wheel sit at 30 deg, I would have thought the vehicle has hit something?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know that the spring would not do that, but I wondered if something happened on the fast lane and it was dragged to the hard shoulder doing the damage

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
I know that the spring would not do that, but I wondered if something happened on the fast lane and it was dragged to the hard shoulder doing the damage

This thread is getting me a bit worried about our new car:shock:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
With standard wheels, there is enough clearance between wheel and arch in the straight ahead position not to rub. Still not good to happen as car might veer off with the sudden drop of suspension.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

We do not have enough information to know what happened or how the car was put on the hard shoulder

OP
E

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Thanks for all your comments.....I only posted as I wondered if this might be becoming a problem with the CLSs. I thought about the bottom ball joint as in the days of the Morris Minor / Wolesley 1500, etc. There didn't seem to be damage from a collision and the m/w was as clear of obstructions as could be seen in the rain, i.e no potholes. The occupants were still around, sheltering in the car from the rain which, at the time, was torrential - I know the advice is to move away from the hard shoulder, but in the circumstances, who could blame them? How the car got to the hard shoulder, I don't know, save that it was sitting at an angle as though it had been driven there, broken, but still able to push through the rear wheels; don't suppose we'll ever know!

Ernie

Last edited:

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)

Dont worry Peter ..just enjoy!:cool:....when we got our 211 after a couple of weeks ive stopped reading about problems or i would never sleep:lol::lol::lol:.... Fix whatever goes wrong as n when...in between all of that just drive n enjoy:D

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
my W211 snapped a coil spring last week , hit the deck like real hard , if he's running large rims it will probably have damaged the wing ?? must have come as a shock on an M/way , mine went on a side street at 15mph and still made me jump, theres nothing on the 211 struut to stop the spring dropping to the bottom arm , design fault if ever there was one imo

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Dont worry Peter ..just enjoy!:cool:....when we got our 211 after a couple of weeks ive stopped reading about problems or i would never sleep:lol::lol::lol:.... Fix whatever goes wrong as n when...in between all of that just drive n enjoy:D

I make you right Paul, thats sound advice in any walk of life not just cars.:)

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I make you right Paul, thats sound advice in any walk of life not just cars.:)

:lol:although ive just read the bit from bembo449 about his 211 front spring snapping at 15MPH :rolleyes::lol:..got me thinking:lol:...i PRAY that if im unkucky enough for this to happen that it just happens when im driving it and not Kat:shock:

Ive Lost a Wheel TWICE and survived to tell the tale , would of prefered not to though:shock::lol:

i guess if somethings gonna break ..its gonna break...enjoy it up till then:cool:

gpalmer

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS/2007/320cdi
Could be a broken spring, it could do some damage moving it without lifting it, I wonder how they move them when this happens

I have a 2007 CLS and broke ns shock in pot hole. never been same since! low speed steering squeek v loud that stoped now clonking sound. MB cant find a problem, been in 3 times any ideas!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It is worrying that a main dealer can't get to the bottom of this there isn't that much to deal with.

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
It is worrying that a main dealer can't get to the bottom of this there isn't that much to deal with.

If it isn't rusty, they haven't got a clue how to deny it.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom