Clutch Problem on 93 200E 124 series

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Get him a little automatic and chain his left foot to the seat frame, if he is as he sounds reasonably competent he will get used to it, just stop him from using his clutch foot on the brake when he sets off and approaches hazards where a down change would be appropriate. Tell him to recite the mantra 'Transmission Is Automatic' while he drives.

I'm not a Citroen fan but dads C3 was a delightful mini MPV, its nice commanding sit up driving position is a boon to older more fragile drivers, even mum liked it and she's an expert complainer.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vinesh

Reaction score
Wireman lol. I dont think his foot will need to be chained. At some point i remember we owner a Mark 3 Ford Cortina 3.0 v6 XLE. In south africa it was know as the big six. So he will get used to the auto just without all the grunt of the cologne V6. While thinking this past weekend I remembered when the first sachs clutch failed the mechanic that looked at it said that the slave cylinder had failed and he had to replace it. I also remember that this guy was quite a scaly chap and used a second hand clutch instead of putting in a new one. When this clutch failed after a short period my brother in law took it to another shop where the Valeo was fitted. I remember now that he told me due to the previous second hand clutch being very worn out the scaly mechanic had modified the slave cylinder to have extra reach to be able to disengage the clutch. I do believe that the guys who fitted the Valeo removed this modification to return it back to normal. Now guys if this thing is still there or not adjusted properly could it not cause the clutch to hold pressure ie not disengage properly when the clutch pedal is fully released?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting, there is no adjustment on these clutches, the are all pre set

OP
V

Vinesh

Reaction score
television the rod from the slave cylinder was modified in some way to allow a badly worn clutch plate to disengage. The clutch itself was not adjusted.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
If you proceed with repairing it have a new master and slave cylinder fitted at the same time, it sounds like the existing ones can't be trusted, the cost will be quite low compared with the whole job.
As Malcolm says there is no adjustment at the slave end, the slave cylinder has a long travel and accommodates all the movement in the lever position that can occur due to wear, the release lever may have been butchered and I think (but am not certain) the push rod is integral to the cylinder. Messing with the shape of these parts is asking for trouble.
You need to find a decent mechanic with some knowledge of the clutch in manual Mercs of the same vintage, the why did it go bang question remains unanswered, repeated over throw could be an answer if the lever has been damaged by bending, this could also cause slight pressure to be maintained on the clutch helping it to slip, a fresh release lever may be required.

So in short change the lot, can't go wrong then, can it?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id also advise replacing all flexi hoses in the system too

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom