Corroded Brake Pipes - less than 3 years old!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
brake pipes

read this , so looked at mine there is no damage on mine , just a little surface rust on a couple of bends , which i have cleaned up and thats on a 01 car !! i think mb must have bought a batch of ****e material in the cases mentioned

ianrandom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2cv6.
Eek. I brush them with grease or similar on my oldies. Wouldn't have thought it necessary on a newer car yet but worth noting for future owners.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Wax oil is still the best its cheap enough to buy and so easy to brush on.

Grease is not good, old engine oil is worse as it can contain carbon.

When I had my 140 I had an advisory on the rear brake pipes, all waxoiled and no advisories on the next 3 MOT's. My Volvo was done from new and no advisories 20 years later.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Wax oil is still the best its cheap enough to buy and so easy to brush on.

Grease is not good, old engine oil is worse as it can contain carbon.

When I had my 140 I had an advisory on the rear brake pipes, all waxoiled and no advisories on the next 3 MOT's. My Volvo was done from new and no advisories 20 years later.

makes one wonder , which is the better car?? i get the impression that mb dont really want to know you much when yr benz is over 3 yr old , maybe they know something we will be finding out ????

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
makes one wonder , which is the better car?? i get the impression that mb dont really want to know you much when yr benz is over 3 yr old , maybe they know something we will be finding out ????

I think that its just that no one cares at the dealership.

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
For a number of years now I have not been fit enough to do my car maintenance so it is done by a local MB independent.
As a matter of routine a service includes spraying the brake pipes with Wax oil, now last week the MOT was done at another garage that I have used for more than 30 years and trust 100%.

My 2003 W211 E270 passed the MOT no problem but it was suggested that the plastic under-body covers should be removed so the brake pipes could be inspected from end to end because the car is nearly 13 years old.
To make the inspection they would need the car for a full day but I am not sure if that would mean paying for a full day.

Has anyone experienced corroded pipes under the plastic covers, the car has covered 72,000 miles and only failed one MOT due to a damaged Tyre.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For a number of years now I have not been fit enough to do my car maintenance so it is done by a local MB independent.
As a matter of routine a service includes spraying the brake pipes with Wax oil, now last week the MOT was done at another garage that I have used for more than 30 years and trust 100%.

My 2003 W211 E270 passed the MOT no problem but it was suggested that the plastic under-body covers should be removed so the brake pipes could be inspected from end to end because the car is nearly 13 years old.
To make the inspection they would need the car for a full day but I am not sure if that would mean paying for a full day.

Has anyone experienced corroded pipes under the plastic covers, the car has covered 72,000 miles and only failed one MOT due to a damaged Tyre.

The chances of corrosion on the pipes under the covers is very small, they all get hammered where the pipes pass under the sub frames and over the half shafts. Fuel popes as well as they take the same route, you have the supply lines and the return to tank.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

covers are held on with about 10 8mm headed bolts and a maybe half a dozen screws IIRC (assuming its the same as a 203) and on a lift, in the air should take about 5 mins to remove. id say paying for more than an hour would be pushing their luck at the garage, assuming nothing needed done

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
covers are held on with about 10 8mm headed bolts and a maybe half a dozen screws IIRC (assuming its the same as a 203) and on a lift, in the air should take about 5 mins to remove. id say paying for more than an hour would be pushing their luck at the garage, assuming nothing needed done

Never done this, but do the bolts come out and go back in OK after being there for 13yrs? It's the sort of thing that when you do it home turns into a nightmare!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never done this, but do the bolts come out and go back in OK after being there for 13yrs? It's the sort of thing that when you do it home turns into a nightmare!

They all come out easily as the bolt go into clips, the hardest bit is if you are doing this with the car just jacked, the under panels are so big, taking them off is not too bad, but putting back is much harder, as you have to hold them up and locate the fixing holes

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The chances of corrosion on the pipes under the covers is very small, they all get hammered where the pipes pass under the sub frames and over the half shafts.

Why so bad there? I've been told mine need changing at the back and given an horrendous quote, but the more exposed bits I can easily see (where the pipes go into the rear brakes) look OK.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why so bad there? I've been told mine need changing at the back and given an horrendous quote, but the more exposed bits I can easily see (where the pipes go into the rear brakes) look OK.

Water and grit flying around back there could be the cause. In many cases just lightly sanding will show the true condition on the pipes. If mildly pitted all over, then sand and waxoil. It is when the pits are so deep that the wall of the pipe could burst, then you are just fooling yourself if you try and cover up.

Ian Parkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w212 e250 CDi 2011 estate
I started my car yesterday and immediately the dash board lit up and bleeping saying brake failure do not drive and esp fault and abs fault
Brakes seemed to work
I was worried that it was end of life for the sbs pump
Its a 2004 e320
However the pump seemed to be cycling more than used to
after investigation i noticed a small pool of oil near the osr
removing the panels in the wheel arch revealed this

How do I repair? a complete line from front to rear or a repair section for now ?
and replace both lines later at my leisure?

also will this stop the faults on the dash?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom