Could use some Paint Machine Polishing expertise ...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Bearing that in mind ... I assume YOU would just shell out £360 and have it made perfect ... only to get trashed the next day!

I doubt I could claim against him again, and as he is now trying to do his best to minimise the dust / warning me, it would be morally wrong to try. And I also severely doubt he would pay or I would win a claim against him a second time.
.. and even if one got lucky, that would mean further clear coat reduction ( imo a bad thing ).

So I think in this case a little patience is a virtue!

Considering he offered to pay for it to be sorted in the first place YOU should have taken his offer, had it done and had him pay the detailer then invested in a car cover while building work continues.

I would pay to have it done professionally, I have a Detailer local to me (http://www.platinum-detailing.uk/) that is superb, cost would be around £250.

At least have someone clean all the dust / cement off it to stop may more damage to the sponge washed paint then have it sorted the day building ceases

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
'So I think in this case a little patience is a virtue!'

Good thinking, Subman!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That’s basically it, personally I’d forget about it until all the works done then reassess it, and more than likely (in my case definetely) then get it professionally detailed- maybe the builder will contribute towards the cost to some measure or maybe not. I’m thinking this has gone on too long now.....

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Considering he offered to pay for it to be sorted in the first place YOU should have taken his offer, had it done and had him pay the detailer then invested in a car cover while building work continues.

I would pay to have it done professionally, I have a Detailer local to me (http://www.platinum-detailing.uk/) that is superb, cost would be around £250.

At least have someone clean all the dust / cement off it to stop may more damage to the sponge washed paint then have it sorted the day building ceases
Read the post ref constant cleaning

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Read the post ref constant cleaning

I have, yet a professional could have sorted it by now even if it was just to remove the caked on dust before a proper detail after building work has finished!!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
That’s basically it, personally I’d forget about it until all the works done then reassess it, and more than likely (in my case definetely) then get it professionally detailed- maybe the builder will contribute towards the cost to some measure or maybe not. I’m thinking this has gone on too long now.....

Agreed John ref the incident
Thats easy to resolve, either he pays or I just hand it over to the legal insurance, they agreed to cover it to the limit of the policy...
Checked just incase he changes his mind. (as the stupid dishonourable mob tend to ) .... up to £150,000 legal fees and court costs.

I was just interested in the concept of being able to machine polish .... only the finest hi gloss polish
And spreading wax the easy way. :)

If it ends up saving the builder a lot and gives me nice options why not? :)
Win win situation

At least they are now being careful :)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have, yet a professional could have sorted it by now even if it was just to remove the caked on dust before a proper detail after building work has finished!!

Thats been done !

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I would have contacted environmental health by now and got there advice, I wonder how much of this is carcinogenic?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Just pay someone to do it for you, in the time you have started numerous threads on the problems caused by the builders next door you could have had the car professionally detailed and looking better than ever
How much would you think it would cost for a professional detailer to do a DA polish of the whole car?

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I found prices of around £600 for a basic package.

Quotes ranged from £360, £400 MB, £385, £780, £1080, 2x £1,500 and one at £2,100!
( snow foam, wash, clay, polish to remove swirl marks and double wax with Collinite).

Hmmm should have done that when I was young, .... small outlay
Nice tidy modern unit. Under £10,000 set up tools etc.
Learn to domit well and then get a few yound lads working for you ...

Reckon you could make £200K profit p.a.

Funny how these little side ventures can work well :)

And as the richer get richer .... could be a nice little earner! :):)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quotes ranged from £360, £400 MB, £385, £780, £1080, 2x £1,500 and one at £2,100!
( snow foam, wash, clay, polish to remove swirl marks and double wax with Collinite).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe, we had s couple of mobile sort of detailers, they didn't last long, too many people happy to use the car cleaners that have taken up in old petrol forecourts.
I would say the hardest thing like any good business is building the reputation. Also, would you trust someone working under your name with a 80k car?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I found prices of around £600 for a basic package.
Better than a quote I had, £800! I can see why people may want to do this themselves.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

Alot better than the £800 quote I had and my car only has a few stone chippings to contend with, the rest of the car is good as far as I can tell with just the usual few light scratches and swirl marks.

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
go to a scrap yard buy a bonnet panel and practice for lot of week ends

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
View attachment 44195 View attachment 44198 View attachment 44199 Get a DA polisher and some red Megs compound, then some black Megs polish and you can get results like this from an 18yo 744 silver car.

Be sure to clay bar thoroughly first!!! You’d be astonished what comes off the paint.

Lovely job Craig, I would be delighted with that result!
But I Could use your advise on DA Speeds.
I am only going to do the very lightest polish, using 3M Ultrafina SE. (As I have it) and their lightest Blue pad.
3M say this is really only needed on Black cars or if you get holograms, its the lightest polish (absolute minimum cut) 3M do.
The techy their said it would probably only take 1 or 2 microns off at most if abused, and more likely 0-1 Micron if done sensibly. i.e. just taking the high spots on a hologram and any surface contaminates .... thats what I want!

Constant snow-foaming and washing has removed all the cement residue grit, well any one can perceive :):); but I have been advised the essential complete claying will almost definitely induce a few micro marks.

3M technical say they only have figures for a rotary polisher, and say set it to its lowest speed circa 1200rpm to 1800rpm.
Obviously a DA is totally different.
The Makita 6” has 5 settings:
Setting. Orbits pm. RPM if forced rotation is engaged.
1. 1600. 180
2. 2500. 290
3. 3700. 430
4. 5300. 610
5. 6800. 780

The few vids I could see, show them spreading the polish on setting 1. And then going to setting 3 or 4.

Most say the forced rotation gets results faster but Makita say for the ultimate gloss Polish just use it in Random Orbit (no forced rotation).

Would you say the equivalent would be spread polish out on setting 1. And then polish at setting 3 in Random Orbit mode .. no forced rotation?

Time is not an issue, say it didnt take enough off.
Much rather have to go over it again because it didnt take off enough. Than take more than I wanted off.

Is there a relationship between hyper-glossy look v machine speed?
i.e. does one get a glossier look at a higher speed, or does it just get to that stage faster?

Did you tape the next leading edge, i.e. if polishing the front wing did you tape the edge of the bonnet?

3M said it is probably is not worth the time spent taping it, with this super fine polish, especially if using a DA, but said if compounding highly advisable for a novice. Note I would not even use their Superfine Polish let alone the green Cutting Compound. (I would either avoid that or give it to an expert).

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom