CTEK MXS 5.0

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
This might be a very silly question but here goes.
Been looking at one of these to replace an ageing smaller model. Upon looking at the online instructions and spec I note that the spec for the MXS 5.0 shows the voltage in desulphation mode is well over 15 volts, which I'm worried might be high enough to damage the car electronics and I don't want to disconnect. Ok, so i never use that mode except that it seems the charger can commence charging on the desulphation cycle in any mode.
So, simple question. Is it ok to use a MXS 5.0 on any modern Merc without disconnecting the battery first ?

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I have a Ctek charger, instructions say it advisable to disconnect the battery when this mode.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Been looking at one of these to replace an ageing smaller model. Upon looking at the online instructions and spec I note that the spec for the MXS 5.0 shows the voltage in desulphation mode is well over 15 volts, which I'm worried might be high enough to damage the car electronics and I don't want to disconnect. Ok, so i never use that mode except that it seems the charger can commence charging on the desulphation cycle in any mode.
So, simple question. Is it ok to use a MXS 5.0 on any modern Merc without disconnecting the battery first ?
I hope so - based on frequent recommendations on this forum, I ordered one yesterday!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Electronics should be OK at 15v (normal running is 14.2 - 14.5). That said if something is 'weak' it may be the final straw. The big thing is not to turn on the key when on the charger.

I have an MXS10 and have had it for years and never had an issue.

OP
G

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Thanks for the replies.
Seems it should be ok then. I'm always very cautious about these things and I don't want to fry anything. I've used a XS3600 (I think that's the designation) for years without issues and I don't think it's capable of exceeding 14.7 volts. The MXS 5.0 is rather more powerful and hopefully a little quicker.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thanks for the replies.
Seems it should be ok then. I'm always very cautious about these things and I don't want to fry anything. I've used a XS3600 (I think that's the designation) for years without issues and I don't think it's capable of exceeding 14.7 volts. The MXS 5.0 is rather more powerful and hopefully a little quicker.
The 70ah consumer battery in my SL500 takes 14 hours to fully charge hence why i have recently bought the MXS10 as that halves the time to a full charge.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
shows the voltage in desulphation mode is well over 15 volts, which I'm worried might be high enough to damage the car electronics and I don't want to disconnect.

that mode must NOT be used on an AGM battery

I wouldn't use on a normal one either, my fathers non AGM that he'd used this mode on, had signs of overheating inside and he liked to help by using this mode once a year

when you programme modern car electronics you should have the vehicle on a stable power supply, on a BMW the software is designed not to run unless that is at 15volts (partly to stop others programming the car as they know most won't have a device that allows this). however it doesn't work at the hackers just hack the voltage check to 15 when it isn't.... then when they forget to use any power supply (as displaying 15 all the time) and it drops under 12 things get interesting

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The 70ah consumer battery in my SL500 takes 14 hours to fully charge hence why i have recently bought the MXS10 as that halves the time to a full charge.
What I forgot to say was that 14 hours is with an MXS 5.0.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom