Cuts out up hill- 207D 1980

M

merc_algarve

I have a 207D 1980. Recently she is struggling up hill, even on flat slightly. For example: I may be in 4th gear then I start going up hill slightly. 4th should still be good, but she starts to chugg until I ease off the excellerator, then after, obviously I need to go down a gear- the same happens in each gear until she cuts out, whether it's 4th gear or 1st. If I'm on a hill facing up, she won't start.

Fuel filter is clean, battery is fine, new excellerator.

The excellerator was replaced recently, and we thought we had solved the problem, but all it solved was the fact it no longer excellerates to a certain point in each gear and not to it's full potential- this was initially our problem- I don't know if the problems are connected. Can anyone help?- I miss my Baby!

Rizwan001

Reaction score
Perhaps go back to basics: Clean/replace air filter and run injector cleaner through the system. Check for loose/corroded electrical connections. Clean the Injector connections and associated electrical connections with Electronic cleaner spray. Clean ignition switch with same.
Are your injectors up to scratch and is engine compression within limits??

I am sure others will have more particular advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could it be air in the sytem, though that would affect starting

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
have you checked the condition of the fuel tank strainer? Not just the pre and main fuel filters?

mine did what yours did at 1/4 of a tank. because no fuel was getting through at this level on the strainer due to it being blocked. If it happens with a full tank of fuel this wont be your problem.

You also mention if facing uphill it wont start. This is classic "air leak" problems. Check all the fuel lines and replace any o-rings that may be perished and drawing in air. I'm not up on W123 so much but you should be able to replace the o-ring delivery valve seals aswell. I had the same issues in my W124 - new o-rings on the clear pipes and new delivery valve seals fixed it - and the fuel tank strainer sorted my cutting out problem aswell.

Look at mine from my W124:

OLD:

old_strainer.jpg

compared to new:

new_strainer.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

merc_algarve

She did start going at 1/4 a tank originally. It sounds very likely that what you are suggesting may sort it all out! I'll get back to you!

Many Thanks For all your suggestions everyone. I'm gonna pass them all on to my friend who is planning on looking at her when he gets the chance.

OP
M

merc_algarve

Thanks everyone!

You were right Silverspoon- I can never thank you enough.

I've got my Baby back!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for posting back and thanks to SilverSaloon, it makes my day when we get post like this:D:D:D

Antonia

Reaction score
Fuel tank strainer

Hello folks

I have the same problem with my 207D camper. Could someone tell me please;
The part number for the replacement strainer?
Where its located?
Can it be replaced without draining the fuel tank?

Kind regards

Antonia

Chriswardlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 207d 2404 cc 1985 60735 miles done
Rear diff

I was driving along at 60mph, when there was a noise that came from the diff a clunk noise. Now my diff wines and makes a noise. It hasn't locked and still drives fine. Checked oil and put slick 50 kit in. Just need to know if this is serious any advise would be great. Cheers

CRH71

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD
I was driving along at 60mph, when there was a noise that came from the diff a clunk noise. Now my diff wines and makes a noise. It hasn't locked and still drives fine. Checked oil and put slick 50 kit in. Just need to know if this is serious any advise would be great. Cheers

Any form of "clunk" from the driveline should be looked at IMHO. From what you've said in your post, it sounds as though one of the bearings could have collapsed, and the whine is now the gear teeth meshing in a different place relative to each other.

MercedesBusOwner

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
207d, Bus, 1979
Hi folks!
I have the exact same problem with my Mercedes 207d, 1979.
And You made a plausible solution and it seems it has fixed already one mans problem. I hope it can fix mine too!! In your answer there used to be some pictures, but I think they are gone. Would you by any chance have them and be able to send it to me?
The link to the questions and answers in the forum is here:
I hope you can help me out. And thanks already for the answering already a lot I your answer to merc_algarve in 2009. It has already helped a lot!
Cheers and merry Christmas

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom