Cyclist v's Pedestrian

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It's a fact that there needs to be new laws to cover cyclists generally.

I used the local park and ride for an outpatient appointment at my local hospital and while waiting in a bus shelter for the return journey at least two students on bikes shot past the front of the shelter on the path and it occurred to me that if I'd taken one step out of the shelter I would have been wiped out by those idiots. Common sense obviously doesn't prevail with some of these people so some form of protection for the general public is required

The same goes for mobility scooters

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
too many laws exist which are rarely upheld until such a case arises , there isn't a law against being so engrossed in whats going on on your mobile device that it puts you in harms way ! it appears no matter what vehicle approached this woman , she simply didn't take care while crossing a ROAD ! yes , the tit should not have been out on this illegal bike but if he has been on one with correct amount of brakes fitted and he had avoided her and collided with , say , a bus and been injured , would she of ended up In court for causing it ? I very much doubt it ! my point is that mobile media use causes many hundreds of thousands of incidents every day that could and should be avoided , we need more police out on the beat to enforce the law

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Probably still thinks he did nothing wrong.His attitude stinks IMO, not showing the slightest sign of being sorry or guilty.

He'll get some attitude adjustment in a young offenders institute even though he'll be back on the streets by next summer.

Unfortunately the YOI is a 'Badge of Honour' amongst youngsters that escape proper porridge. At least in proper porridge the soap stuck to the shower floor would have led to attitude adjustment.

Not sure this particular boy will learn to become an adult and take his place in society. The trial process should have adjusted his attitude, seems not.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
too many laws exist which are rarely upheld until such a case arises , there isn't a law against being so engrossed in whats going on on your mobile device that it puts you in harms way ! it appears no matter what vehicle approached this woman , she simply didn't take care while crossing a ROAD ! yes , the tit should not have been out on this illegal bike but if he has been on one with correct amount of brakes fitted and he had avoided her and collided with , say , a bus and been injured , would she of ended up In court for causing it ? I very much doubt it ! my point is that mobile media use causes many hundreds of thousands of incidents every day that could and should be avoided , we need more police out on the beat to enforce the law

The problem here is that there is very little legislation in this area so the maximum sentence for this individual and obviously a lot of other similar cases doesn't attract a heavy enough penalty

Mobile phone use while driving is another example, the law to stop this is evolving as we speak with little of no effect unfortunately judging by what I see happening on the roads local to me

The mobile phone comparison is interesting because legislation to make all new vehicles comply with Bluetooth technology could have been brought in in 2011

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Given MOST of the time when a pedestrian and cycle collide the cyclist is more likely to die and come off worse and ALL the time when a motorist and cyclist collide the cyclist comes off worse then by logic:

• if you think this guy should get a higher sentence then negligent pedestrians who cause cyclists death by negligence should get a higher sentence
  • if you think cyclists need laws/insurance then so should pedestrians
  • if you think this guy's sentence should be higher then motorists who kill when breaking the law (i.e. 40 in a 30) should also get a higher sentence.
Not defending the guy, he rode negligently and contributed to the death of a pedestrian (who walked out in front of him so has the majority of the responsibility), as she's dead so can't be sentenced and he was riding an illegal bike sentence sounds about right... just pointing it out before the usual nonsense of "he should be done for murder coz he's a cyclist" gets posted"

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What would the sentence for a car driver be, if the car being driven had non-function (or unfitted) front brakes, and the car driver took no avoiding action other than to blow his horn and shout abuse at the pedestrian?

The point is, anyone driving or riding on the road must have the ability to safely stop given the prevailing road/ weather/ traffic conditions. Regardless of what the pedestrian did, the cyclist in question could not do so because his vehicle was illegal for normal road use.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
What would the sentence for a car driver be, if the car being driven had non-function (or unfitted) front brakes, and the car driver took no avoiding action other than to blow his horn and shout abuse at the pedestrian?

The point is, anyone driving or riding on the road must have the ability to safely stop given the prevailing road/ weather/ traffic conditions. Regardless of what the pedestrian did, the cyclist in question could not do so because his vehicle was illegal for normal road use.

Agreed. The same also applies to a motorist speeding though - absence of front brake effects stopping distance as does higher speed. I'd imagine if a motorist was doing something like 40 and did the same the sentence would be similar, hence in agreement with the sentence.

What I'm not agreed with is the fact we need new laws/insurance/etc for cyclists, the guy should have got manslaughter, etc. Unless of course such a draconian attitude is applied to all pedestrians/drivers who cause similar risk and kill too.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
As a cyclist I despair at the antics I see on the roads by so many fellow cyclists who simply do not think they should adhere to even reasonable standards of road use.
There are many postings on youtube of their reckless behaviour which goes largely unchallenged.
18 months does seem light, on a well maintained and legal bike apparently he would have had the ability to avoid her.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom