Cylinder 4

Wayne Morris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W203 2001
Hi All

Hope you are all having a pleasant weekend?

I have had a occasional misfire on Cylinder 4 of my Merc C200 W203 Kompressor.

The spark plugs where recently changed on its last service and the problem seem to minimise to once a months appearence.

I am therefore thinking that changing the coil pack on Cylinder 4 would be the next move forward.

Now for the funny question, which one is Cylinger 4 please?

Thank you in advance

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On a 4 cylinder it' furthest from radiator.
On a V6 front passenger side bank.
On a V8 furthest from radiator drivers side bank.

OP
W

Wayne Morris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W203 2001
On a 4 cylinder it' furthest from radiator.
On a V6 front passenger side bank.
On a V8 furthest from radiator drivers side bank.

Brilliant thank you mate

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 2.3K Convertible
Does the misfire on 4 give you a fault code? You could try swapping coil 3 for 4 and see if the problem transfers to 3 then it’s likely to be the coil. I’m assuming your engine has 4 Coils one for each cylinder. If you do be careful when unclipping the coil wire as over time they can become brittle.

OP
W

Wayne Morris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 W203 2001
Thank you guys for all your help with this in the past, I finlly got round to fitting the Ignition Coil to Cylinder 4, reset the Engine management light but came back on after a little while with same error:

P0304 Cylinder 4 misfire.

Has had complete set of sparks on last service and fitted the new coil pack as per LostKiwi advice above, 4 coil packs in total under the Kompressor cover, the one furthest away from you towards dashboard. Is this correct? Just want to check that this is Cylinder 4?

Next time I'm off I think possibly swapping all the coil packs around be a idea to see if can move the fault to another cylinder.

The car has full service history and has covered a mere 85,000 miles.

In general the cars perfect not showing any signs of problems. Just before the engine management light comes on (99% time at stand still / tick over) the car will shake briefly, light comes on then runs no different.

Thank you

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom