DAB Unit

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Hi all,

Since Dads Mercedes doesnt have DAB in it, im thinking of buying him an external unit for Christmas.

Can anyone recommend me a DAB unit? It got to be an external one. I dont want to interfere with the standard setup in the car. Something that will mount nicely without and drilling or making stupid holes anywhere.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks.

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I have a Pure Highway 400 in mine, provides DAB radio and bluetooth streaming from my phone. It can connect to the AUX port, but I have it connected VIA FM transmitter. The reception is spot on, although occasionally there is some interference with the FM channel I've selected, but that's easily changed if it happens regularly.

I let Halfords fit it as they had an offer on last year with free fitting. The antenna is stuck to the inside of the windscreen in the top left hand corner and all the cables are hidden. They ran a power cable to the fusebox in the boot so that it's a switched supply. the control module is about the size of a parrot Blutooth control module, but I pretty much leave it tuned to Radio 4extra and leave the control module hidden in the central console.

I'd happily recommend it at the £105 (fitted) I paid.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have a Pure Highway 400 in mine, provides DAB radio and bluetooth streaming from my phone. It can connect to the AUX port, but I have it connected VIA FM transmitter. The reception is spot on, although occasionally there is some interference with the FM channel I've selected, but that's easily changed if it happens regularly.

I let Halfords fit it as they had an offer on last year with free fitting. The antenna is stuck to the inside of the windscreen in the top left hand corner and all the cables are hidden. They ran a power cable to the fusebox in the boot so that it's a switched supply. the control module is about the size of a parrot Blutooth control module, but I pretty much leave it tuned to Radio 4extra and leave the control module hidden in the central console.

I'd happily recommend it at the £105 (fitted) I paid.
This is very similar to what Malcolm did in both his SL and CL.

Here's Malcolm's SL install:
DSC01349_zpsgymazxxq.jpg

The control panel is set into MDF painter gloss black and mounted over the cover to the ashtray (the original cover having been removed). The unit itself is tucked away in the dash.

This is the unit Malcolm fitted:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/AutoDAB_Connect_add-on_DAB_Car_Radio.html

It works fairly well but is a little slow to respond to key presses etc. Station information is shown on the main radio headunit in the FM station information.

I would consider one of these:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digitizor_DAB_DAB_plus_DMB-A_car_radio.html

Nothing on display but it does mean you need to use the remote control. Again it connects via FM.

I may update Malcolm's install with this:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/CK-O_DAB2011-V2-TS.html and use the integrated TV tuner (need to hack it so it doesn't turn off when the car starts moving).

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom