Dashcam updated recommendations please?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
as title really...after SWMBO’s little bump this week I’m now aiming to get Dashcams fitted to both our cars- I don’t want trailing wires so something discreet and hard wired...
What does everyone have and what can you say about them?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What happened chap, did I miss something?

I have the Mobius dash cam. Tiny- like a box of England’s Glory- and very discreet. No smart features but they take an SD card. Recording is done in subsequent 5 minute files. I had them put front and rear in the 211 and they made a neat job of it.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A2ADD2A7-EB43-4A13-AC5C-7F847D044128.jpeg This should have had a glue on mount- they mucked up the order.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have, an antique by now, BlackVue DR400G-II as a front cam, although it is heavily modified - from casing to firmware (high bitrate), to lens mount and polarising filter. It works great, and has done so for five years now.

The rear cam is Mini 0801, no mods*, and also quite old - works fine too.

When the time comes to replace these, I'll be looking at either BlackVue or StreetGuardian dual cam setup.

* Actually, it is modified - I made a custom magnetic mount for it, so it could fit between sunblind and the rear windscreen on my old car. Didn't really need that for the new car, but am still using it - too much hassle to replace it again with a stock mount (which is bulkier).

Both cams hard-wired, of course.

SRE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005
Hard wired a Blackvue 450 to the wife's Disco last year and it has worked faultlessly, is relatively discreet, provides high quality video and most importantly (for me anyway) no distracting LCD screen.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I've got a Panorama S thing in mine, few y years old but still good..

Mobius is in daughters car .. word of warning with that one is its the most technical to set up..

Also use a Nexbase one in wife's car ... don't ask which model

Tbh in this day and age of set your budget and work out what you need it to do and just go look in Halfords..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Over the last couple of years i had a Mini 0803, A118, Sjcam M10, Mobius and a JooVuu X. The first 3 all had small LCD screens, the A117 was the best of them. The Mobius and JooVuu do not have screens, the Mobius needs a PC to set it up but the JooVuu is setup using a smartphone. I would say the JooVuu X is the better dashcam. I have been looking at the Street Guardian dashcams, they look good but are expensive.

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What happened chap, did I miss something?

I have the Mobius dash cam. Tiny- like a box of England’s Glory- and very discreet. No smart features but they take an SD card. Recording is done in subsequent 5 minute files. I had them put front and rear in the 211 and they made a neat job of it.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html
Indeed Craig, Friday morning wife en route to M&S got run into when she’s on the main road by somebody who hadn’t looked properly and pulled out of a side road into the side of the Volvo....,XC90 1 MG Rover 0....MG written off the Volvo sneered.
Third party totally at fault however sharpened my mind to another potential outcome!
I’ll check the Mobius out thanks!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Watching this after last Thursday, will be doing the same on the 204

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indeed Craig, Friday morning wife en route to M&S got run into when she’s on the main road by somebody who hadn’t looked properly and pulled out of a side road into the side of the Volvo....,XC90 1 MG Rover 0....MG written off the Volvo sneered.
Third party totally at fault however sharpened my mind to another potential outcome!
I’ll check the Mobius out thanks!
Just glad she’s OK John. Anyway look at it this way, at least it’s another Rover off the road for good!

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I have the Nextbase 312 GW in mine, not as discrete as some but sits behind RVM so don't really notice it.

Can switch screen off, Wi-Fi capable so can make tweaks via phone or laptop. Decent image quality and sensible price from The Frauds (probably even more so this time of year).

The management software on the laptop is also very user friendly, far better than some I've tried.

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom