Delighted (well almost) R230 Owner.

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Hi Kids!!

Well I did it, a short while back I decided to embrace the mid life crisis head on and indulge my urge to own a Mercedes SL.

I'll admit the temptation to let a testosterone fuelled shopping spree see me mooning over an SL55 on the drive got pretty close, but a degree of cool headed calm saw me purchasing a MY 2009 facelift SL350. Yes the V8 burble of the 500 might have appealed a little more but when it came down to it the thoroughbred SL55 was too much of a long term gamble and the 500 just didn't present enough bang for buck difference over the 350.

What was a struggle was finding the right car. Essentials were colour, (I didn't want a silver or black car and I really didn't want a black interior) Pano Roof, Airscarf and that all important full MB service history. How hard could it be? Well pretty hard actually.

My ideal colour combination, Tanzanite Blue body with a beige interior seemed to be non existent on a 2009 car and as much as I have drooled over R230 SL's since they hit the UK roads in 2001'ish. The facelifts long headlights showed up what I have felt had always let the SL down a little, the slightly gawky "peanut" headlight face.

So in the end it was compromise time (especially on the part of my significant other, she is vegan and buying a car with a leather interior wasn't high on her ethical Fair Play list). A trip down south saw the purchase of a dark silver grey car with a pebble interior (don't ask me what the official MB colour designation is) In fairness the dealer pic's made it look darker than it actually was, but a five minute test drive later and a quick swipe of my debit card and she was mine.

What I was pleased about was the car hadn't been valeted by the dealer prior to my purchase. A dirty car to my mind is something that I think gives a better indication as to what the previous owner has been like with their vehicle. A car valeted to within an inch of its life on some swanky forecourt can raise the excitement a little to easily at times. What it also enabled me to do was have a more successful position with which to argue the price. Wheel and tyre condition was pretty good, although three of the rims would benefit from re-polishing or re-finishing. They hadn't been curbed, but it was obvious that the car was regularly parked close to low height bushes or such like. Similarly with the paintwork. Despite parking sensors the previous owner obviously was in the habit of getting up close to something on a regular basis and the front bumper had a couple of pea sized Dinks in it. Nothing disastrous but all things that soon whittled a good amount of the asking price (and work that I could get done to my satisfaction and not a dealers need for a cheap fix). The interior was pretty much perfect. Again the lack of a good valeting displayed some tell tale signs. The cars regular driver was obviously female and one with a penchant for hand cream (the residue was everywhere!!). On the up side the boot had quite obviously being professionally de-badged (something I would have looked to have had done) and that all important service history had the replete amount of stamps and with 8,000 miles left before it's 'B' service, I can anticipate a good years worth of driving without any big service bills.............. fingers crossed on everything else.

On the whole I'm pretty pleased. Having the Tanzanite blue would have put that extra inch on the grin on my face when I look at the car sat on my drive each morning but with it's shining grey paintwork the whole thing gives the impression of a sleek shark and is a real looker!! It was well worth holding out for the Pano roof too and the roller blind sun screen is a nice touch, although a little rattle'y for a few moments once rolled back in. Airscarf works well and although not quite as immediate as I thought it might be, I think MB got it's more restrained application of warmth just right.

So with all these positives there has to be a negative? Well yes. Have to say that I find the Harmon Kardon stereo a complete let down. I think it must be nearly twenty odd years since I've owned a car where the stereo system sounded so lack lustre. Don't get me wrong, I'm no bass junkie, but the whole sound just lacks any kind of presence especially at lower volumes. The seats seem to be a bit of a mixed blessing too. Try as I might I just can get comfortable, is it me or are they just a tad too hard??? I'm 6'3" and seat size etc is great, but try as I might, forty minutes into a drive and I need to get out.

However roof down and a half way decent bit of tarmac and I love it. A bit of attention to the wheel balance and tracking sorted out a rough patch at 80 mph ........ahem, but it's an effortless cruiser with more style than you can wave an oily dip stick at.

Reactions: Mic

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Welcome Nile great choice of car I'm sure you will eventually find a comfy seat position, if not the other bits will make up for it.
Some pictures would be good

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
personaly i think the 350 a wise choice. less likely aggro, simpler car and easier,more ecconomic to maintain. enjoy

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Nile, welcome to the forum and the MB experience. Just one comment, I think all German seats are firm but I find that an advantage particularly on long journeys. Something you will het used to hopefully. :)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Welcome to the forum- a great choice of car. Bh has one and at 6'2" I find it very comfortable. I think you need to play around with the seat settings to get it right. If it sits outside just be aware of the various drainage points that need keeping clear and the possible leaking of the boot seal causing damage to the pse pump.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
As mid life crises go it's fairly safe :) . Post some pics when you get the chance . With reference to the uncomfortable seat , I don't know what is uncomfortable , but if it's your lower back , make sure that the base of the seat is tipped backwards so that the front is raised to support your thigh weight which will ease lower back issues .

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Nile and welcome to the forum.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well done Nile a good choice imo
As for the HK to be honest I’m completely with you there, I like bass and the HK just doesn’t do it
In fact I’m sure my previous non HK 212 sounded better. Ah well....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome. Good to see another 230 owner on here :)

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Welcome to the forum- a great choice of car. Bh has one and at 6'2" I find it very comfortable. I think you need to play around with the seat settings to get it right. If it sits outside just be aware of the various drainage points that need keeping clear and the possible leaking of the boot seal causing damage to the pse pump.

Hi there!

Its one of the things I could do with getting a handle on. Unfortunately I'm short of regular garage space for the SL although the first thing on the shopping list was a good quality Motex outdoor car cover. I also live in a wood, so it's not just the patter of rain drops the cover needs to keep the car free from!!!!!!!!!!

So nay advice on the best way to maintain the drain points would be very welcome. Also keen to find out how I can get the roof into a half way open position so that I can get some renovator into the various rubber roof gaskets. They all look fine but a bit of preventative maintenance would probably be a good thing.

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
OK Kids!

Aa requested a few pictures of the new object of desire. Sorry she's not in her freshly polished finery, but the rather unexpected heatwave this weekend meant we could fit a rather aimless 200 mile trip in with the roof down (thats the gardens put on hold for another week).

Must admit I would love to add an AMG boot spoiler. When I bought the car I had considered going for the whole body kit, but think that maybe just the boot spoiler would be enough to finish of that rather fab rear. Any thoughts??????

View media item 2791View media item 2790View media item 2789View media item 2788

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
Awesome car Nile......Back end works for me as is,but a boot spoiler would be enough imo

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Wowee, that is nice :)

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Personally I think the boot spoilers detract from the lines of the car.......look a bit like a retrofit even when factory fitted.

Open the roof to about 450 and offer up a shaped piece of timber about 400 with softenings and then lower the roof to the prop.......the engine can the be switched off allowing access to all elements that cannot be accessed with the roof fully open or fully closed.
Krytox from GBR Technologies is the best because it not only treats the rubber seals but also acts as a slip coat on metal and other non absorbent materials. DSC02432.JPG DSC02411.JPG DSC02416.JPG

Mic

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally I think the boot spoilers detract from the lines of the car.......look a bit like a retrofit even when factory fitted.

Open the roof to about 450 and offer up a shaped piece of timber about 400 with softenings and then lower the roof to the prop.......the engine can the be switched off allowing access to all elements that cannot be accessed with the roof fully open or fully closed.
Krytox from GBR Technologies is the best because it not only treats the rubber seals but also acts as a slip coat on metal and other non absorbent materials. View attachment 39559 View attachment 39560 View attachment 39561

Mic
I also think that Krytox is the best to use on a folding steel roof. I always used it on my Eos. It also softens the seals to ensure a watertight seal. :)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi there!

Its one of the things I could do with getting a handle on. Unfortunately I'm short of regular garage space for the SL although the first thing on the shopping list was a good quality Motex outdoor car cover. I also live in a wood, so it's not just the patter of rain drops the cover needs to keep the car free from!!!!!!!!!!

So nay advice on the best way to maintain the drain points would be very welcome. Also keen to find out how I can get the roof into a half way open position so that I can get some renovator into the various rubber roof gaskets. They all look fine but a bit of preventative maintenance would probably be a good thing.

Great looking car! As far as the drains are concerned living in a wood leaves are going to be a problem at this time of year! I use a syringe to help clear any drain holes. There are 4 below the rear screen near the C pillar and 2 above the front screen near the A pillar. Also important is the drain in the heater box. If this gets blocked (and can do with leaves) water can overflow and drain into the passenger footwell causing havoc with the electrics. There is also a drain adjacent to the petrol filler cap. Don't let all this scare you though - just check them occasionally to avoid problems. Enjoy the car - we love ours.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mic has covered everything there every nicely!
Have to disagree on the boot spoiler though, I had one on my Palladium silver SL500 and it just enhanced the boot lid rather than detracted from the lines. Just my opinion. I’ll see if I can find a pic (I downloaded all my pictures off my devices recently). Came from Taiwan from Icon Motorsport ready painted and a dawdle to fit (have one on my 63 too). Ebay seller IIRC around £120 all in including import tax and came within a week.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom