Delighted (well almost) R230 Owner.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Lovely car - and personally, I'm with John and I like the boot spoiler.

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Looks lovely, is it Palladium Silver??

Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm Not sure. I guess a bit of hunting around for the vehicle plate and some online info might well give me the full spec, but for now it's got the grin factor so I'm kind of a happy bunny still!!!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Ermmmmmmmmmmmmm Not sure. I guess a bit of hunting around for the vehicle plate and some online info might well give me the full spec, but for now it's got the grin factor so I'm kind of a happy bunny still!!!

The VIN is under the passenger wiper blade, post it and we can decode or you can get the "MB VIN Decoder" app

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Great looking car! As far as the drains are concerned living in a wood leaves are going to be a problem at this time of year! I use a syringe to help clear any drain holes. There are 4 below the rear screen near the C pillar and 2 above the front screen near the A pillar. Also important is the drain in the heater box. If this gets blocked (and can do with leaves) water can overflow and drain into the passenger footwell causing havoc with the electrics. There is also a drain adjacent to the petrol filler cap. Don't let all this scare you though - just check them occasionally to avoid problems. Enjoy the car - we love ours.

"Heater Box"?? sorry to sound a bit simple, but exactly what and where am I looking for please.

I've spotted two drains close to the 'C' pillars on each side but didn't realise there were four. The two I have found seem pretty clear (other than the usual dirty rubber, but I shall be setting to work on cleaning all that up). Any advice on the best method to clean/clear the drain lines? I'm presuming these will be rubber also, so poking around with some thing sharp and stiff like a straightened clothes hanger might not be the best idea (don't want a sharp end tearing the rubber).

All help always gratefully received.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have to disagree on the boot spoiler though, I had one on my Palladium silver SL500 and it just enhanced the boot lid rather than detracted from the lines.

Having seen Malcolm's car with and without the rear bootlid spoiler it definitely looks better with it. I'll dig out a photo of it tonight (granted its the earlier shape but they aren't all that much different).

Edit: Just noticed its the same as yours was John!

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Having seen Malcolm's car with and without the rear bootlid spoiler it definitely looks better with it. I'll dig out a photo of it tonight (granted its the earlier shape but they aren't all that much different).

Edit: Just noticed its the same as yours was John!
Yeah it should be :)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
"Heater Box"?? sorry to sound a bit simple, but exactly what and where am I looking for please.

I've spotted two drains close to the 'C' pillars on each side but didn't realise there were four. The two I have found seem pretty clear (other than the usual dirty rubber, but I shall be setting to work on cleaning all that up). Any advice on the best method to clean/clear the drain lines? I'm presuming these will be rubber also, so poking around with some thing sharp and stiff like a straightened clothes hanger might not be the best idea (don't want a sharp end tearing the rubber).

All help always gratefully received.

Lift bonnet and look in the black plastic grille near the screen on the right as you face the car. If you can see water the drain is blocked. IIRC the drain exits on the lower bulkhead behind the inner wheel arch liner. Virtually every Sl we went to look at had water in there.
I use a water filled syringe to test if drains are blocked - saves sloshing water about. You need something flexible to clear if blocked, thick strimmer cable or similar will do it. Be particularly careful with the drains on the corners of the A pillar they drain through the door seals and you dont want to pierce those.

OP
N

Nile Griffith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 Sl350 R230
Lift bonnet and look in the black plastic grille near the screen on the right as you face the car. If you can see water the drain is blocked. IIRC the drain exits on the lower bulkhead behind the inner wheel arch liner. Virtually every Sl we went to look at had water in there.
I use a water filled syringe to test if drains are blocked - saves sloshing water about. You need something flexible to clear if blocked, thick strimmer cable or similar will do it. Be particularly careful with the drains on the corners of the A pillar they drain through the door seals and you dont want to pierce those.

Thanks for that!! Will do my best not wreak havoc on my cherished motor!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom