Detailing, scuffs & scratches & MB service

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 E350 Bluetec AMG Night Edition Premium + 5dr
I have just bought a 2015 E350 in Blue with 24,000 on the dial. It's my first newish car in 15 years so happy with the mighty engine and very grateful for previous advice pre-purchase. It's been pretty well looked after apart from the dog smell in the back, the scratches to the rear bumper (dog related), 2 scuffed wheels and general issues with the paintwork. I don't want to respray the bumper and would prefer to polish out as much as I can and then apply a clear film protector on the top surface....can anyone recommend a film?

The previous owner had kindly bunged it through a rotary car wash which must have had Scotchbrite abrasive pads on the brushes as every panel was scratched in the topcoat. I've had it 'mopped' just to make sure it is recoverable and it is but would now prefer to have it properly polished, detailed and waxed..can anyone recommend a detailer in Kent?

I took my earlier E240 and our Beetle to Lepsons and they did a great job on the wheels but they may be overkill for the damage I have to these two wheels. There are some chunks cut out of the diamond rims and I think some metal needs to be replaced before a refurb so maybe Lepsons is the best but hoped there might be other recommendations.

It has three MB services and I have all the service history, electrical issues mainly, but I would be grateful for an opinion about carrying on with MB service and paying their monthly service plan.

Comments very gratefully received

Attachments

• Car.pdf
    229.2 KB · Views: 16

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Nice car, I've got the same engine in my C350. There are a few very knoeleknowled chaps here that can help with paint corrections. I was in a similar possition to you.

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Lovely car and colour.

Shame dark blue and black are such a pain to keep clean and show swirl marks so easily.

Definitely worth getting a pro detailer to fix it then seal with one of these new ceramic coatings.

Have a look on www.detailingworld.co.uk for a detailer in your area.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Loads of threads on here about paint finishing, have a search.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Both 4th and 5th services are expensive. 4th is a B service with age related extras added and the 5th is an A but I expect an ATF change will be scheduled so a service plan would be worthwhile in my opinion.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
A 2015 car may well have an ATF change at 75 k miles and or 5 years . I think 2015 is near the changeover date from 37,500k miles with no time limit ??

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
My 2012 E350 had it's ATF change with the B service last week, that was £730 ouch...
Now the ATF has been done I will be going independent, as it's a lot cheaper, and after 5 or 6 years old doesn't really affect the trade in value. For example my local independent does a B service for £290 as apposed to £385 at Mercedes. I lose Mobilo but I can get breakdown cover cheaply.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Lovely car - enjoy!
Find a good detailer and he will take care of your boot scratches and swirls at one time. As said it’s worth getting a ceramic protection- I have Gyeon in mine - expensive in the beginning but you’ll be thenkful when you come to wash it each time ( I use Gyeon bathe + which tops up the ceramic protection or Gyeon wet coat even better after normal ph neutral wash)

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 2012 E350 had it's ATF change with the B service last week, that was £730 ouch...
Now the ATF has been done I will be going independent, as it's a lot cheaper, and after 5 or 6 years old doesn't really affect the trade in value. For example my local independent does a B service for £290 as apposed to £385 at Mercedes. I lose Mobilo but I can get breakdown cover cheaply.
Mine had an A service last month and they also did a ATF at the same time, this also costs £750!!

OP
Richard65

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Will get the detailing done and check out the price of Gyeon and sign up for MB service plan.

A question about the ATF change frequency....on my old 2001 W210 I changed the fluid about 4 times but suspect that it should have been more (although MB originally said it was a sealed unit) and would rather change at 37.5k intervals if this is going to increase the longevity of the box. Also the rear diff on the W210 was grumbling at 175k and I wish my independent had changed the fluid more frequently. Do you think it would be better to do both at 37.5k intervals on the new car. Mine was registered March 2015 but how do I check the production date if this makes a difference to the recommended fluid change frequency?

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Will get the detailing done and check out the price of Gyeon and sign up for MB service plan.

A question about the ATF change frequency....on my old 2001 W210 I changed the fluid about 4 times but suspect that it should have been more (although MB originally said it was a sealed unit) and would rather change at 37.5k intervals if this is going to increase the longevity of the box. Also the rear diff on the W210 was grumbling at 175k and I wish my independent had changed the fluid more frequently. Do you think it would be better to do both at 37.5k intervals on the new car. Mine was registered March 2015 but how do I check the production date if this makes a difference to the recommended fluid change frequency?

The interval for the box will be 5 years or 67,500 miles. Anything from the 7+ moved onto that mileage. Same goes for the 9 speed, which I presume yours is.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

The question with the extended ATF change on newer boxes , is did MB move the mileage up because the oil lasts longer OR because it takes it out of most service plans which are in the first few years ??
If it was my car and I was keeping it long term I would get an Indy to change it earlier , especially if you were going to do it anyway at the new later mileage .

OP
Richard65

Richard65

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks...yes mine is the 9-speed, and I agree and will get both ATF and diff fluid changed more frequently.

It's an amazing box in relation to the old worn one on the W210. When I was looking at a new car I drove a 530 and 535 Touring and looked at the A6 320bhp Biturbo but didn't drive it but looked at these because I'd read comments from some about the MB box being a bit slow!. Have to say that I find the whole car amazing and over the last 3 weeks have been astonished at the pick up and as a result of my enthusiastic driving and shortish journeys mpg is pretty poor but will be more careful in future. Haven't really used manual mode and leave it in auto E almost all the time and it's pretty astonishing. Also prefer the Sport suspension setting to Comfort...still working out some of the other stuff.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Thanks...yes mine is the 9-speed, and I agree and will get both ATF and diff fluid changed more frequently.

It's an amazing box in relation to the old worn one on the W210. When I was looking at a new car I drove a 530 and 535 Touring and looked at the A6 320bhp Biturbo but didn't drive it but looked at these because I'd read comments from some about the MB box being a bit slow!. Have to say that I find the whole car amazing and over the last 3 weeks have been astonished at the pick up and as a result of my enthusiastic driving and shortish journeys mpg is pretty poor but will be more careful in future. Haven't really used manual mode and leave it in auto E almost all the time and it's pretty astonishing. Also prefer the Sport suspension setting to Comfort...still working out some of the other stuff.

See, I went the other way. From a 212 with 7+ to a 530d GT, and I’ve to say the ZF is miles ahead. The BiTDI has the same 8 speed ZF as the BMW, just slightly different tune on it. I have tried all options when I was looking for a replacement car, so 7G+, 9G and 8 speed ZF. The 9G and ZF are very close, couldn’t call it tbh, and the 7G in comparison is showing its age now.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
See, I went the other way. From a 212 with 7+ to a 530d GT, and I’ve to say the ZF is miles ahead. The BiTDI has the same 8 speed ZF as the BMW, just slightly different tune on it. I have tried all options when I was looking for a replacement car, so 7G+, 9G and 8 speed ZF. The 9G and ZF are very close, couldn’t call it tbh, and the 7G in comparison is showing its age now.
I suppose they anything car related, bits show their age when technology moves forward. I've never driven an auto before so I have nothing to compare against. But my mate has a M140 and he loves the ZF box.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom