Diagnostics

merc21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2007/1799
Hi Everyone

Please can you help? I am being asked to do a diagnostics that will cost £120 for just a washer not working by Mercedes.

I've read on here that it might be something called STAR? Is it? Is this the same diagnostics that Mercedes are going to carry out?

Is there another place that i can do this cheaper and is it ok to do this elsewhere?

Does this diagnostics just do it for one thing and not just check everything?

Thanks for your help.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Might be Star or the later Xsentry. It can check for all faults historic and present on the car, but that would depend on if the operator is interested enough to interrogate.

If you find a local MB independent, or for a, I assume windscreen washer, a mechanic who has some intelligence it will be much cheaper.
1st is to check for 12 volts at the motor and then continuity of the motor, no need for plug in diagnostics for that.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
STAR/Xentry is the dealer level diagnostic software. It allows individual components to be tested without necessarily using the switch that controls it (in your case the washers switch).
Could they do something with yours without diags? Yes. Old fashioned techniques of measuring for 12v at the pump when the button is pressed for example. Apply 12v to the pump and check it runs. Check fuses. Beyond that STAR would be a benefit.

Many indys have STAR/Xentry - you may be better going to one of them. Depending where in London you are Wayne Gates in Harrow gets great feedback on here.

OP
M

merc21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2007/1799
Might be Star or the later Xsentry. It can check for all faults historic and present on the car, but that would depend on if the operator is interested enough to interrogate.

If you find a local MB independent, or for a, I assume windscreen washer, a mechanic who has some intelligence it will be much cheaper.
1st is to check for 12 volts at the motor and then continuity of the motor, no need for plug in diagnostics for that.

Thank you M80

OP
M

merc21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2007/1799
STAR/Xentry is the dealer level diagnostic software. It allows individual components to be tested without necessarily using the switch that controls it (in your case the washers switch).
Could they do something with yours without diags? Yes. Old fashioned techniques of measuring for 12v at the pump when the button is pressed for example. Apply 12v to the pump and check it runs. Check fuses. Beyond that STAR would be a benefit.

Many indys have STAR/Xentry - you may be better going to one of them. Depending where in London you are Wayne Gates in Harrow gets great feedback on here.

Thanks LostKiwi.

I live in the South East area around Woolwich/Greenwich. Any Indy you can recommend?

Thanks

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom