DIESEL GLOW LIGHT C220

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hi all,

Bought a C220 CDI (2000 reg) at the weekend.

The Glow light comes on as normal. After starting, it comes back on for about a minute. Ive heard this is a fault indicator? But there seem to be no noticeable problems?? Any ideas what exactly this indicates??

Also on a couple of occasions, the engine died on starting? Maybe its connected?? As soon as i tried again it was fine.....

Should i be scared??

Thanks

Jay

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
C220 glow light staying on

I had the same with my 1994 C250 diesel. It means one of the glow plugs is faulty. Normally it's combined with lumpy starting, but after a few seconds the engine will be smooth due to the heat of the combustion taking over from the glow plugs contribution. A glow plug change is pretty straightforward for the confident DIY'er.

to determine which glow plug it is - systematically disconnect the electric lead from each glow plug and measure the resistance with a multi- meter, The fault glow plug will typically have an open circuit. you only need to change the one that's faulty.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
The above poster is correct, a glow plug is blown.

The reason why you don't notice a problem is becase Direct Injection diesels only need the glow plugs in VERY cold weather. The pre heat light probably only flashes on for a second or so now the weather has warmed a bit.

OP
J

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Thanks a lot everyone!

But, how do i get the light to go out? Will it automatically reset once i change the plugs, or will i have to take it in to MB to reset the fault code......

thanks

Jay

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It will simply work in the correct manner. The light is coming on to tell you there is a fault. No fault=no light.

OP
J

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hi guys, Thanks for that, probably have a play over bank holiday.

Also sometimes it does this really weird thing: Turn the key and the engine doesnt start properly and it causes the whole car to shake. As soon as you try to start again its fine. Its done it a few times now.....

Any ideas???

thanks

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Because it's only firing on three cylinders due to the glow plug. By the time you start again the cylinder has warmed enough to fire properly.

OP
J

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
I just rang MB- Nearly 60 quid!!! I thought it was much less than that for a glow plug!

Is there gonna be much difference between MB and something from Europarts or the like??

Jay

pcman_jh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 Cabriolet
Quality of parts from a 3rd party, and what to buy from the.

My glow plug was no where near the £60 you're being quoted - I paid around £20 - £30 for my C250 gow plug about 2 years ago from the local Merc garage. I certainly haven't found the price of other replaceable parts to have increased over the past few years.

PS - Genuine Merc oil filters are better obtained from the main dealer as they're economical - ~£8 for my car, whereas the 3rd party supplier is slightly cheaper and don't ooze the quality of the genuine Merc one. However - brake pads and discs, in my opinion, are worth going to a 3rd party supplier for. I've used either Europarts or mainly Swedish and German - www.gsfcarparts.com (with good service as well and a no quibble returns policy which I've had to use). Bottom line is always give your Merc dealer a chance to quote as you'll find some of the parts surprisingly competitive - just don't ask them to fit them - ouch (~£60 per hour labour)

OP
J

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hmm, not sure why the price is so much, maybe because it has the new engine?

I always do try and stick to MB, especially as most parts for my 123 are dirt cheap now.

But the plug price is way over the top. If its only one that needs replacing, i may decide MB, if a couple are out then im gonna have to use Lucas i think.

Would it be a good idea to change the whole lot while im there? If i use the Lucas, then i can change all of them for less than the price of one MB one....

OP
J

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Just to let you know,

Dronsfields got the wrong end of the stick, they thought i meant the whole set when i said PER PLUG!!

Anyway, paid £11 per plug from Gerard Mann and had to replace two. Light has gone, happy chappy.

Will be changing oil next weekend, unless i sell it before. I am now looking at CLK's......

Anyone who wants a low mileage C220 CDI Manual, lemme know!!

Cheers All

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom