DIESEL SCAPEGOATS - WE ARE SCRAP?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Hi, Everyone, I have just had my e-300 td, 7 seat est resprayed, new suspension parts, new turbo, ss exhaust, 18 inch wheels, the list goes on, i bought the car new in 1997.
So i do 5,000 miles per year, never in the cities where all the masses are and big poluters, and not just diesel cars poluting, also company car owners do high mileages.
The politicians who just consider the situation in London and other big cities put a "one size covers all" on the answer by waging war on all old diesel cars, it's a rip off, and most of us in this club are the scapegoats.
I think they should allow the low mileage car owners, who give a mileage limit to their insurance companies a dispensation clause, they could also put a £20 charge for entering the big cities.
What do you think. Herbie.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
They just want the old polluting cars gone, it is that simple.

You doing 5k a year creates more pollution than a company car driver in his new E350 bluetec doing 30k

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

You doing 5k a year creates more pollution than a company car driver in his new E350 bluetec doing 30k

Interesting. So the pollution factor of old diesels is more than six times a modern up to date one.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles

Really? I'd bet the E350 bluetec driver in the realworld is using more fuel and thus creating more CO2 and pollution. Not to mention the pollution created building it.

As for cars being banned from cities, it's often just the central zones that you'd be mad to drive in anyway. There's a lot of fuss here about all older diesels being banned from Barcelona next year, but it is a part where unless you lived bang in the centre and had an expensive garage to park in you really would never enter anyway.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have just reluctantly changed to petrol, I love the way that a diesel drives but I think there is a lot of grief to come like fuel taxation on diesel, additional congestion charges and probably even certain areas banning diesel engined car altogether. I was going to change the car anyway but with all of the anti diesel lobbying and so forth i decided to go petrol. :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've always been a fan of petrol. I had a brief foray into diesel with a Volvo S40 equipped with the 2.0 TDCi Ford engine and it put me off for life (aside from the Defender - but that was a truck so diesel suited it).

I do find it funny the way everyone was happy to jump on the diesel bandwagon and reap the benefits of fuel economy and artificial CO2 based tax breaks but are now complaining when the tax breaks are removed and the total pollutant effect is being taken into account.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Diesel cars' emissions far higher on road than in lab, tests show | Business | The Guardian

Maybe our politicians should consider this first.
The contradiction of the ever more stringent EU standards is that they consume more fuel to pretend to be cleaner.

Take away EGR and DPF's and the consumption improves significantly, so pollution reduces while it seems the cleaner output may still not be achieved.
Then there is the use of the materials to produce the filters.

So let's go electric with the mass produced batteries that must be consuming the worlds resources, and the energy is still produced some where, nuclear perhaps.

Meanwhile the Gov'ts get to increase their revenues from penalising the said to be dirty cars and from the sale of new cars as they make old one's less economically attractive.

In a few years the petrol cars will be the bad un's, for some reason.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
CO has less direct health issues associated with it (at the levels we're talking about) whereas NOx and PM have direct health issues (breathing related).
Asthmatics react extremely badly to NOx (and some studies suggest NOx can be a trigger to the development of asthma) and PM is a direct contributor to lung cancers.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Before anyone here can have this discussion one must first define "harmful emissions". So far the various regulatory authorities have had 6 different measures, and at various times two of those have been mutually exclusive ;)

So what's the big baddie? Micro particles? CO? CO2? NO? NO2? Something else?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I've considered that diesel's are far too complicated with greatly increased risk of more going wrong under the bonnet.
But it seems Euro 6 is affecting petrol cars, in truth I'm not expert on how, but the consideration for increasing complexity is worth factoring.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As I understand it NOx is the biggest baddie in the pipe. NO under sunlight produces NO2 which is the gas responsible for visible smog.
The lungs have small hairs inside them called cilia which are part of the bodies defence mechanism for dealing with foreign objects. The cilia push dust and other foreign matter (including airborne bacteria) out of the lungs and into the gastrointestinal tract where they are destroyed. The presence of NO2 paralyses the cilia (much the same effect as phosgene) and allows this matter deeper into the lungs. There it can cause odema (pools of the mucus created by the lungs to assist the cilia in ejecting foreign matter) which then goes on to cause infection. The effects of NOx on the cilia are immediate but the cilia will recover in 24 hours if the NOx is removed.
The effects of PM and CO are much slower - PM in particular can take years to have an impact, but in conjunction with NOx (which stops the bodies mechanism for ejecting it) gives rise to much longer term health issues.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Waiting on the quayside in Livorno for a ship to Malta, I got chatting to the Italian parked alongside who had a diesel 4x4 and was towing his boat to Malta for summer fun.

His Jeep was old but immaculate. He told me that, in his region of Italy, older cars are being forced off the road by being targeted with large annual road tax increases. He was angry, as his beloved and well cared for Jeep would have to be scrapped next year as the road tax increase would be higher than the value of the car,

He did very few annual miles, and kept it just for towing his boat.

Somehow, if diesels are to be hit, there should also be an annual mileage concession or a sliding scale for older cars to suit those owners who do very little driving.

Umble

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've considered that diesel's are far too complicated with greatly increased risk of more going wrong under the bonnet.
But it seems Euro 6 is affecting petrol cars, in truth I'm not expert on how, but the consideration for increasing complexity is worth factoring.
Euro 6 is a problem for direct injection petrol engines. These run at higher compression ratios and generate higher NOx as a result.
In general the lower the cylinder pressures and temperatures the less NOx but the more HC (PM) as the engine is less efficient.
The high cylinder pressures is why diesel cars have a bigger NOx issue than petrol ones.

I had this all explained to me 20 years ago by my ex-chemistry teacher when we were discussing the use of diesel as a car fuel. He was dead against it for the NOx and PM reasons.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Somehow, if diesels are to be hit, there should also be an annual mileage concession or a sliding scale for older cars to suit those owners who do very little driving.

Umble

But it also depends on the type of driving. I may do many miles but 95% of my driving is on empty motorways/a roads where NOX and PM are unlikely to be an issue. Compare that to a london driver doing 5k pa. When I am in a city I simply always have walked cycled or taken public transport, mainly because it is nicer, quicker and cheaper than with a car.

I understand there are disabled people/deliveries but apart from that I really can't see the need for driving in the city centres, even though I've lived in cities (not the centres) and always had a car. Whenever I get in my car it is always to exit the city and never for less than 3 miles as that would be walked or cycled instead.

The alternatives are simply healthier quicker and cheaper. If emissions in cities really are a problem than rather than make ever more complicated cars to fudge ever more unrealistic tests instead it should be made incredibly expensive for people to drive into cities in any car. Make any city subject to a congestion charge 50 quid a day with zero exceptions and then if a car really is necessary people can always offer their empty passenger seats on the many car sharing websites that exist such as blablacar so as to share this cost and take more cars off the road. Would ease parking and congestion too.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom