Diesels .... what does the future hold..

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I am not totally against EV, a full EV vehicle is a sensible buy. I have very recently driven a Tesla, I have to say that was impressive, speaking to the owner he says his range is rougly 220 miles per charge and has done a fair few large trips. He stops every 180 miles and in half hour its back to full boost. Makes a longer journey a bit of a ball ache as I can easily do 300 miles in one hit, but if you had the time/planned the journey then it is viable.

As there is no ICE to service, as well as the MGUK doing most of the braking to reharvest the energy, brakes too last around 50k miles.

And its performance when you give it a kick was very impressive, 0-60 in 3 seconds, thats SLR territory.

Hybrid systems however, across all manufacturers, are troublesome and expensive. I know I wouldn't spend £7k to repair a car, and I cant think of any customer who would appreciate the thick end of that kind of repair invoice.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A friend of mine is a Mitsubishi dealer and I quite enjoy driving his Outlander PHEV, it's a weird experience but once you get used to it it's no problem.

The Auris taxi I was in staggered me he got 900 miles out of £45 of petrol.

I read somewhere the Prius is less environmentally friendly over it's lifespan (cradle to grave) than a discovery

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I thought they were going to put in simulated engine noise for safety. That would be easy to do, just use a speaker playing Metallica or Elgar, or whatever you prefer.

I can understand that the solar panels in the rear screen are silent, but surely the wind turbine up top makes a whooshing noise?

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
TBH an electric car would be fine for me, my commute is only about 25 miles a day round trip, and I could fit an outlet in the garage.

I would certainly consider a hybrid also in the future.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My commute is borderline for current mainstream electric cars being 40 miles each way with no local charging facilities at work. Once range is 200 miles I'd be comfortable using an electric car.

Anyone remember the original Honda Insight? They were incredibly fuel efficient with over 80mpg being very easily achievable and many reporting over 100mpg!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A friend of mine is a Mitsubishi dealer and I quite enjoy driving his Outlander PHEV, it's a weird experience but once you get used to it it's no problem.

The Auris taxi I was in staggered me he got 900 miles out of £45 of petrol.

I read somewhere the Prius is less environmentally friendly over it's lifespan (cradle to grave) than a discovery

That's only because the planetary crust rejects the ugliness of the Prius even when it's being recycled :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's only because the planetary crust rejects the ugliness of the Prius even when it's being recycled :)

I saw a brand new onw last night and had to wonder what the hell was going on!!!!!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I saw a brand new onw last night and had to wonder what the hell was going on!!!!!!

It's a bit like the Note E12... one of a very few cars where the back end is much better looking than the front. And even that's only for a very wide tolerance in the definition of "good-looking".

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And even that's only for a very wide tolerance in the definition of "good-looking".

Your tolerance is considerably wider than mine, looked like it was designed by a committee that never met all armed with set squares

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your tolerance is considerably wider than mine, looked like it was designed by a committee that never met all armed with set squares

You've never met a Japanese styling team have you? :D They have some... unusual viewpoints.

I recently was shown the top-selling Japanese car for last year. Think back in your mind to any of a dozen noughties American films, "soccer moms" driving minivan-style people carriers that all look like the Ford Generica. Meld those together to form the most utterly devoid-of-character, generic, 7 seater with a sliding door thing that you can, and that's what this car was.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I recently was shown the top-selling Japanese car for last year. Think back in your mind to any of a dozen noughties American films, "soccer moms" driving minivan-style people carriers that all look like the Ford Generica. Meld those together to form the most utterly devoid-of-character, generic, 7 seater with a sliding door thing that you can, and that's what this car was.

They love those boxy cars like the Nissan Cube

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They love those boxy cars like the Nissan Cube
Qube!

I was just sick in my mouth. One of my mates actually wants one- but then he IS from Crewe and clearly a degenerate.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would not have a "Mate" like that

When you look at it for its intended purpose, the Qube is intensely practical. It's a bit like the Fiat Multipla. Actually a great car, just not one you'd ever admit to owning.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
You joke, this is being discussed certainly for the eGolf.

No I'm deadly serious, I believe it is absolutely essential for safety that all cars must make noise, I am just thinking out loud about my ideas for making this happen. If you have a speaker playing one sort of music, then someone will object. So yes, I would agree with a gentle wooshing noise, a bit like a, well, car.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No I'm deadly serious, I believe it is absolutely essential for safety that all cars must make noise, I am just thinking out loud about my ideas for making this happen. If you have a speaker playing one sort of music, then someone will object. So yes, I would agree with a gentle wooshing noise, a bit like a, well, car.

Actually let's take that one step further. Noise pollution from heavy traffic is a significant environmental problem.

So how about a car that makes a ICE-car-like-noise at say, city speeds/ when a button is pushed/ when the car recognizes it's in an urban environment, and which turns itself off when on country lanes/ dual carriageways/ motorways? Then all of a sudden, people living closer to those busy high-speed high-volume roads (where they already know there is a significant danger posed by oncoming cars) don't then get the added noise pollution.

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Actually let's take that one step further. Noise pollution from heavy traffic is a significant environmental problem.

So how about a car that makes a ICE-car-like-noise at say, city speeds/ when a button is pushed/ when the car recognizes it's in an urban environment, and which turns itself off when on country lanes/ dual carriageways/ motorways? Then all of a sudden, people living closer to those busy high-speed high-volume roads (where they already know there is a significant danger posed by oncoming cars) don't then get the added noise pollution.

Sounds good, except you do get people on country roads, that is where I do my cycling, so I would just leave it on. Isn't it tyre noise that people hear ? So maybe at speed not so much of a problem. I can see some research is needed.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds good, except you do get people on country roads, that is where I do my cycling, so I would just leave it on. Isn't it tyre noise that people hear ? So maybe at speed not so much of a problem. I can see some research is needed.

Hmm, where there's an independent study contract there's a profit............

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's a bit like the Fiat Multipla. Actually a great car, just not one you'd ever admit to owning.

Now you are just trying to make everyone sick!!!!!

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom