Difference between C220D Elegance and C220D Classic ?

PoroFF

Reaction score
Hallo mates,
I am about to buy a 1996 Merc C220D with an automatic gearbox and I wonder which are the differencies between the Classic and Elegance package. I am pretty sure that it is all about interior, but I couldn't find anything in the Internet about it. I will be very thankful if you tell me the exact differencies. I also have a question related to the stability control: is it available as a standard feature in the C-class W202 or it depends on the Classic/Elegance package ?
Thank you in advance :)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The elegance/classic was all about trim. So elegance has different upholstery, more chrome, some walnut etc. There may be kit differences with electric windows, remote locking etc. Some if this gets confused with classic buyers speccing some of the kit thats standard on the elegance though.
If you look at the new model price lists on the MB site, you'll get the idea, though the differences have changed over the years as classics are far better specced these days.

Stability control wise, there was no ESP in '96. There was a traction system of sorts (ETC?)- I had it on my C220, but I believe that was an expensive extra, even on the elegance. It simply applied one or other of the rear brakes if the wheel slipped. If it's fitted, there will be a warning light when the ignition is on.

OP
P

PoroFF

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. I will look for an ETC, because in Bulgaria we have snowy winters, lasting for about 4-5 months and with RWD + Automatic even with good winter tyres the handling will be hard. I heard that those C220Ds are extremely slow, besides, all the models I chose are all equipped with automatic gearbox, so it will take ages until it gets to 60. Is the manual a better choice, or a merc feels better with an AT ? I travel a lot and preffer to drive safely, but I want to be sure that in case of overtaking the car won't misled me. My other car is a Fabia TDi 1.9 and the turbo kicks in just when I need the extra power. The bhp/ton for the Skoda is around 82, and for the Merc is about 68, so I expect the C-class to be slower, but how much?

Last edited:

Impaler

Reaction score
My parents have a '96 C180 Classic with a manual transmission and we're quite happy with it. I find the Classic trim far more appealing than the Elegance. I recommend you buy a C250 Turbodiesel if you find the C220D doesn't have enough power. It may even be more economical.

Top Bottom