Direct injection carbon build-up

Colin Crump

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 160CDI (2007) & W172 SLK55AMG / M152 (2012)
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum, but I've been a Mercedes owner for a number of years and my current car is a R172 SLK55AMG (2012) which is direct injection.

Now, apparently, VAG and BMW have had disastrous problems with carbon build-up on the back of the inlet valves due to the absence of a fuel injector spraying fuel onto the back of the valve constantly cleaning off any contaminants, to the point where they have now added such injectors in addition to the direct injectors.
Reports on the BMW N52 engine suggest the requirement for walnut shell blasting every 15k miles, which is quite alarming.

I have also read on another forum that Mercedes V6 direct injection engines have started showing the same issue.

My question to you is this: have any AMG V8 direct injection owners experienced this issue and if so what was the outcome; dealer, independent, personally resolved?

Whilst I'm online, a piece of info for R172 SLK55AMG and A45AMG owners: The rear brake discs
(A172 423 0112) are around £265 each from the dealers, I believe the rears are TRW although the fronts are Brembo.
I have recently fitted Brembo aftermarket rears which are direct replacement for the originals and were only £57 each from Motor-doctor. Please see a link below.

https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/8254631-brake-disc

On the SLK55AMG (without the performance package) the traction control relies on applying the rear brakes to control spin, hence the rear discs only last about 25k miles, ouch! :shock:

It would be good to hear back from anyone regarding the carbon issue, just want to know what I'm heading for.

Regards
Colin

Top Bottom