Disabling EGR

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Hi Oigle,
Sorry to resurrect this post I imagine you're sick of talking about it, but would really appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions.
I have a w169 160 cdi (A Class diesel) and before reading this post recently had the egr cooler, valve and inlet manifold off to remove a huge amount of black crud after 95k miles. Terrible sh1t, isn't it...
I too decided to delete the cooler, blank the exhaust and feed the egr valve with fresh air from the filter box, but before the MAF, you know where this is going. ...... yep, been there...
Yes, I eventually get a CEL which is diagnosed as "low boost pressure".
I can't use dieselman's circuit as the MAF is of the frequency modulated type.
Question: did you try putting a low resistance one way valve in the line feeding fresh air to the egr to prevent back feeding boost pressure to the air box? No. My experimentation showed that if you remove the exhaust pressure from the outside of the egr valve, the air flow goes out instead of in. There is no occasion where it goes the other way as diesels don't create vacuum like a petrol engine. Supplying fresh air to the valve is pointless.
Also, does the ECU look for a drop in MAF flow when egr operates at just idle or all rpm, at all revs. When the ecu signals the egr to operate, it also allows for loss of flow through maf. Of course, maf stops working from low boost onwards. as I don't get any DTCS for MAF volume to high at all, just low boost pressure, this is why I thought of the one way valve.
Really don't want to put the all the original egr cooling and pipework back, one because to do so means dropping the engine again, and two the crud build up.

The only other option would be to use a device from an American company called fuelsave. They do two MAF intercepts, one for variable voltage and one for variable frequency. I'm not sure the device would like to be fed by the modulated egr feed though.
Your input would be greatly appreciated. Haven't seen that one. I think with the frequency modulated type, the only real option (I have just done it on my Fiat Ducato motorhome) is to get it mapped out. Costs a few pounds (mine cost $350AU) but in the long term, I think that will be saved and more. EGR valve alone is quite expensive and labour to remove manifolds is horrendous.

Good luck
Ian

Colin

Colin Crump

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 160CDI (2007) & W172 SLK55AMG / M152 (2012)
Doh!
Thanks for your guidance Ian, think I'll bite the bullet and go the remap route as you suggest.
Out of interest, the A Class diesel has a vacuum operated butterfly valve before the egr mixing chamber, it chokes the throttle when egr is activated, shares the same vacuum feed as the egr valve.
They really didn't want people to mess with it, did they
Thanks again
Colin

eli81

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203 220 cdi 105 kw 2002
Hello!

I am new here!
I have a problem. I desided to switch off my egr with software. They made it, but my cars egr is still working incorrectly.
They sad that they forgot to put a ball on my vacum tube before the egr. Then my car go to limp mode. But no black smoke.
Could someboy help me with it?

Thax a lot for your help!

My car is a Mercedes C 220 cdi T model 2002 105kw 143 hp OM 611 962

Colin Crump

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 160CDI (2007) & W172 SLK55AMG / M152 (2012)
Hi,
This really does not sound like they have disabled the egr in software, as using this method means you should not need to block the vacuum. When the software is rewritten the ECU no longer sends a signal to the EGR vacuum solenoid and the new map will no longer look for a drop in flow at the MAF checking for EGR flow.
The other possibility is that the EGR valve is jammed slightly open, was this blanked off with a plate to mitigate this risk?
Please confirm how the EGR was disabled.

Regards
Colin

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hello!

I am new here!
I have a problem. I desided to switch off my egr with software. They made it, but my cars egr is still working incorrectly.
They sad that they forgot to put a ball on my vacum tube before the egr. Then my car go to limp mode. But no black smoke.
Could someboy help me with it?

Thax a lot for your help!

My car is a Mercedes C 220 cdi T model 2002 105kw 143 hp OM 611 962
Hi , maybe take it back to whoever just did the work and get them to fix it ??

Tonym19

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 coupe 2012. Diesel
Sorry if this has been answered before. But I've got a C204 coupe 250cdi 2012 model. Can anyone tell me the position of the EGR

Rustking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 270CDI MY04, W164 ML 300CDI MY10, W210 E240 MY00, W108 280S MY69
Hei! I want to follow up my posts from june to september this year. I n summary my case was that I used the resistor mod for somewhat 80000 km on my 2004 ml270 with great success. Then my MAF broke. After replacing the MAF with a OEM Pierburg one, car was fine, as long as it was not idling for more than 10 seconds. If so, limp mode. At about the same time the spring clip holding the exhaust together broke. So having the underside covers of I did what I had planed to do for a long time. I emptied the cats, even though they seamed to be fine. As the trouble with the resistor mod just continued, I bought another MAF, made a new resistor loom, with new resistors. But that didn't help either! So we had a bit of a holiday, and the car sat for about 3 weeks. I started it yesterday and It idled for a couple of minutes. No limp after that! Took it to work today, no limp, car works fine! Can it be the colder weather in the autumn 5-10C? or did the car miraculously fix itself sitting for a while? Will the problem be back? For the moment I am very happy!

Rustking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 270CDI MY04, W164 ML 300CDI MY10, W210 E240 MY00, W108 280S MY69
Problem came back again. I eventually gave up! Got a EGR off map file from a online fileservice and problem solved!

baleen

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class 221/350
Hi guys,
I am a new member, I need your help guys, I would like to delet the EGR (Mercedes 221.122 S320 - 2010 diesel) from the engine ECU, I have autel maxisys pro 908. someone can tel me how I can do it please. thanks in advance

MICHAEL31

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e270 cdi classic auto
if you buy the blanking plate easy fit in two bits, it has a 5mm hole drilled in middle. just allows a little to avoid throwing up error code, works well on my 270 cdi

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
The methods of deleting egr operation vary widely. No one method works on all. I don't know which motor you have but doubt it would be like the 270 series which was vacuum operated. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable might be able to comment if you are more descriptive of your engine.

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
Hi guys,
I am a new member, I need your help guys, I would like to delet the EGR (Mercedes 221.122 S320 - 2010 diesel) from the engine ECU, I have autel maxisys pro 908. someone can tel me how I can do it please. thanks in advance
Took my mapper about 45 minutes to map it out. OM642 cannot be blanked off, he showed me what he did, I was amazed, the 642 uses EGR quite a bit when cruising.

Frank Mayer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320cdi estate automatic 2002
Hi!
Just one question with this the red + is always + I mean continous + or ignition +?Where that goes ? I have an 02 plate 320cdi estate and did manage to find all the wires in the ECU plugs but unsure of the red one! Cheers Frank

Frank Mayer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi!
Yes mine is a vacum operated egr and the simptons are after started a car then for a little while like 15-20 seconds I do have a turbo pressure as the vacum moving the wastegate rod but if I don't touch the accelerator pedal then somehow the vacum dissapers and the wastegate rod comes all the way up and that's it no more turbo pressure and lack of power! My car is an 2002 E320 cdi W210 and I have put a new airflow sensor in to it also a cat were cleaned ( knocked out) since there was a bit of smoky bits around the exhaust manifold! I have done this bypass wires with the resistors most likely into the wright place but still the same! I can not figured out! Looks like don't matter what I do it does it always! So I'm planning to clean the egr out tomorrow, wheter it was cleaned like less then a month ago and that time was clean as well! Also I have just tried to blocke dthe egr vacum hose the main one which is going to the egr valve before the slip section, didn't work neither! I have done the circuit like this:
1N4004S 1Amp diode connected with the silver end to the 1K Ohm resistor and that resistor to the red/ black wire to the egr positive,also the diode other end to the 470Ohm resistor which is went to the MAF signal which is the PIN 24 on the plug 4,then the top of the diode to the PIN 37 to the egr grey/... wire!All soldered into the harness and no difference!Any idea? Cheers

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
I have no idea where you are Frank so can't recommend anyone to help. Could be a number of issues. Needs someone who knows how to do it have a look at it. Could be other issues like a faulty transducer or maybe wiring incorrectly. I can't follow the circuit from your description. If you are in England, perhaps we can suggest someone to help.

Ian.

Frank Mayer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HI oigle!
I'm in Maidstone in Kent, UK, And I have done everything what I can to determine what is the trouble with this car, but now I'm a bit clueless!Anyway I'm just about take the egr byseld off and givit another clean just in case, and also I'm about to check the voltage on the airflow as well! Since I have just bought that from eurocarparts but the most expensive oe one not a cheap aftermarket! Maybe that cause this issue! Anyway I will write back soon as I have done it and let You know! Cheers Frank

Frank Mayer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HI all!
Well here is a good news! I have checked the voltage on my new MAF and was no changes at all whether on idle or higher rpm,the actual voltage was on the 5th pin is 1.1-1.2 volt continuesly so I have changed back to the original( I tought that was wrong) MAF and with that no issues at all!Since I done the egr delete with dieselman's receipe( diodes+ resistors) now I have a full turbo pressure all the time and no more issues! So in the future I would recomend do not buy any aftermarket parts just ORIGINAL ONLY! No less than that and the problem is solved!I'm so happy with my car now finally it goes as it should be, and I can not belevie it that I have drove the car in limp home mode for about 25k and haven't noticed it isn't running the way it should be! Anyway I'm so happy now I can even beleived myself! Thank You all for the posts and specially for dieselman for the proper info on this electrical bypass! Thank You all!
A very happy Mercedes Benz owner

Frank Mayer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi oigle!
I'm enjoy it finally!Finally this car is going as it should be and I'm so happy with it!Also if anybody needs this egr delete bits then I have another one! I can install it for them as well if someone comes to me! All it costed me is Ł:0.29 and willing to take a same ammount for it! Cheers again for all the help!

Top Bottom