DIY Ceramic Coat ?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I was watching some YouTube stuff last night about Ceramic coatings and I think I may consider attempting it in the future . I do have access to a double garage at my parents in Wales so I could control the environment/weather .
It does look doable on YouTube . Has anyone who is untrained attempted any form of Ceramic coating ?
How did you get on with it ?

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Nope, not rocket science, but I've only got a small single garage - so its a no from me :(

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it wasn't the fact that I could use a double garage I wouldn't even ask the question . Cars that have been coated do look super shiny .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ive seen a video or two on the subject and it does look doable Wighty (seen my guy doing it too)- just needs a well prepared car, space (tick in your case) and if necessary a heat lamp to help it along the curing process.
I feel I may have posted this before but just in case...
http://gyeonquartz.com/q2-collection/

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
my mate had his Porsche done and
If it wasn't the fact that I could use a double garage I wouldn't even ask the question . Cars that have been coated do look super shiny .
I didn't think much of it pal , only when he got a winter detail from another place did it look super shiney , so I guess he may have been had the first time round ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think the only thing to be wary of is applying too thick as apparently it can be a swine to remove.

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
I have seen some fantastic examples, but for it to be successful the paint has to be prepped very well before application.
If done correctly it can have outstanding results.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I think the only thing to be wary of is applying too thick as apparently it can be a swine to remove.

I too have heard this, particularly about the removal, and it put me off doing the coating myself as I'm not the most careful of people. I do like the look of it and remember when Developer John had his done some years ago, possibly one of the first I'd seen.

I looked into it, decided it was beyond my limited range of skills, and decided against attempting it myself. I never got round to getting it done on any of mine in the end, ending up with my normal cleaning regime which involves plenty of polish and wax. :)

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Please please please do NOT try to apply a ceramic coating yourself. If you get it wrong the only way to remove it is wet sanding!

You may get away with it with some of the cheaper stuff. But Gyeon & GTechniq you will be in for a very hard time if you get it wrong. It is not something you should be doing on your drive or in your garage at home.

You need a sterile environment. So unless you have an uber clean garage with no chance of any dust etc then pay a professional to do it.

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Please please please do NOT try to apply a ceramic coating yourself. If you get it wrong the only way to remove it is wet sanding!

You may get away with it with some of the cheaper stuff. But Gyeon & GTechniq you will be in for a very hard time if you get it wrong. It is not something you should be doing on your drive or in your garage at home.

You need a sterile environment. So unless you have an uber clean garage with no chance of any dust etc then pay a professional to do it.
Thanks Carl , I know this is in your wheelhouse and I was waiting for your reply . I hear what you are saying about the application but you have only slightly dented my enthusiasm , I do research things carefully and I am able to do nearly all practical things once I've studied up . My Dads garage is very clean and can be made Draught free easily . I'm still a fair way from doing it although after your warning I may try it on a couple of other chumps cars first (family) . I do appreciate the advice and consider myself warned .

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
There are products that are designed for enthusiast application like the Race Glaze 9H system which is so easy to use, and very forgiving. Thorough instructions are provided and as long as you read and follow them, you will achieve amazing results. You do have up to 20 minutes in these low temperatures to buff off and ensure the finish is perfect before you walk away.
I have spoken to several customers who have not used a Ceramic before and they are delighted having used it.
As long as the car is properly prepped and you can keep the dust away, you really do not need a hermetically sealed, clean air dehumidified environment wearing white gloves and a face mask and a white chemical/biological suit.
The product will cure sufficiently in 20 minutes to bead water so it will be hard enough for no dust to adhere.

By all means try it on a spare panel or old car but the first car I used a ceramic on was my venerable Porsche. Outside, on a dry warm and calm day.

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are products that are designed for enthusiast application like the Race Glaze 9H system which is so easy to use, and very forgiving. Thorough instructions are provided and as long as you read and follow them, you will achieve amazing results. You do have up to 20 minutes in these low temperatures to buff off and ensure the finish is perfect before you walk away.
I have spoken to several customers who have not used a Ceramic before and they are delighted having used it.
As long as the car is properly prepped and you can keep the dust away, you really do not need a hermetically sealed, clean air dehumidified environment wearing white gloves and a face mask and a white chemical/biological suit.
The product will cure sufficiently in 20 minutes to bead water so it will be hard enough for no dust to adhere.

By all means try it on a spare panel or old car but the first car I used a ceramic on was my venerable Porsche. Outside, on a dry warm and calm day.
That's very good to know thanks .

OP
Wighty

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its good to get the pro's and con's from folk who have experience of this stuff
Very true ! This forum is a goldmine for other people's experiences

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom