Dodgy MB service history?

smile of life

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a used ML320. When I looked at the service book, the details for the vehicle at the front of the book (filled in when it was first registered 6 years ago) had the last digit of the VIN scrubbed out and a new one written next to it using a different pen.

Further, the VRN was not the plate on the car now.

A mini HPI check shows that the current registration number matches the car as it shows the original number that's in the book and it simply got changed to this plate later. Fine.

However, is the changed digit a genuine mistake or does it suggest a service history for another silver ML320? This seems like too much of a coincidence to find a VIN almost identical apart from one digit that also fits a silver ML320! So I'm guessing it was an honest mistake when first filling out the service book when the car was registered.

Or do VINs get pumped out in sequential number order, so all those silver ML320's rolling off the production line had the next digit up for a VIN number?

What do you all think?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd agree with your assumptions. If the VIN is written in by hand, then it will be a genuine mistake. As you say, the chanced of getting near identical VINs will be remote. Remember, Vins maybe consecutive, but the chances of two identical cars, produced at the same moment, ending up at the same dealer, let alone in a situation where their service histories could be swapped, is so remote as to be almost impossible. A typo is far more likely.
You could check the VIN on that russian web site and see the spec/colour etc for both vins as a final check though. I suspect you find the one you are concerned about is completely different.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
VIN numbers

I'd call (or visit) the servicing dealer and chat with the service receptionist. They may recall the car and the service book

On older Mercedes the service book had a factory-printed card with option numbers on it glued into the back page. It'd be interesting to see what VIN number that has

UK supplied car?

It could be a completely dodgy service book with a misprint. Calling sthe servicing dealer and asking for the mileage at the last service should answer that for you

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
S

smile of life

Reaction score
I thought a lot about it and walked away in the end. Two days later I found a younger, fewer miles, bettre equipped and cheaper by 2 grand same spec car. I bought it and am now over the moon!

Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom