Does a 3/4" hose really make any difference? Fluid Dynamics ?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I am just interested 'in the principles' of the advice on a commercial pressure washer to have a 7.5 meter 3/4" feed hose.

Purely from an enquiring mind point if view.

OK I understand a 3/4" hose can deliver 4x the flow rate. But all the connectors are eventually contricted by the bore of the std. 3/4 BSP tap connectors at either end.

My lack of understanding, is further compounded by the fact they advise using a micro filter, that also has the same tap connectors.

My lack of understanding of Physics ( ergo fluid dymanics ) makes it puzzling.
Surely the overall flow is limited by the internal bore of the smallest connector, in this case these are the 4 tap connectors (note they are the same bore as your std. 1/2" Hozelock jobs).

E.g.
Mains - Tap - female 3/4 connector - hose - female 3/4 connector - Tap - Microfilter - Tap - female 3/4 connector - hose - female 3/4 connector - Tap - Power washer.

* Tap = 3/4 BSP tap connector.

Initially I assumed the min length of 7.5 meters of 3/4" hose was supposed to act like a mini "buffer reservoir", in case your mains pressure dropped for a short spell.
But the additional ( and imo sound ) advice to put the micro filter close to the washer, kinda negates the reservoir buffer theory.

I can only assume, the 3/4" hose delivers enough extra flow (less resistance on curves etc.) to create significantly more pressure at the constricting tap connectors; to overall provide a better flow rate.
But maybe it doesnt work like that :)

OK I just did it in 3/4" as I needed 10m more length for the system anyway, and the comi boiler only delivered a HOT flow of 12.5L per minute ( where the m/c recommended 13 L) using a std. 1/2" hose.
Note on cold it delivers 21 L.

I am hoping the 3/4" hose might up the Hot flow to 13L/ min ;) but no biggy as the m/c output is only 10.9L per min; so only delivering 12.5L wont starve it. Plus the fluctuations due to the time of day are probably much bigger.

My decision was also seriously influenced in the fact I could buy industrial 3/4" connectors cheaper than your bog std. Hozelock 1/2" ones ... so why not. :):)

But I would be interested to know how fluid dynamics actually work.

tode

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S350 btec 2011
There's a three-year course in fluid mechanics at Imperial College . . ;)

HTH

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Flow rate is simply the velocity of the fluid multiplied by the size of the pipe. Which is why when you constrict a pipe the fluid flows faster. You still get the same amount of fluid out of the end though.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Yes.
Diameter changes in a pipe affect the flow, but often a narrower fitting simply increases the flow rate through the fitting itself, without significantly reducing the volume. There are limits, obviously.

Changes in direction also affect flow rate, due to frictional losses.

As a crude example, because closed pipe circulation does not behave in exactly the same way as open pipe flow (ie, open ended hose pipe) two domestic heating systems can be built, identical in pipe layout and diameters, but one can have formed bends while the other has elbow fittings. To maintain an equal flow rate for the two installations, the former needs less energy to circulate the liquid than the latter. If the available energy happens to be the same for both, then the former will have a better flow rate than the latter.

Trust me - I'm a cook!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
#OhmyChrist.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
What was the question? Does size matter?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Simply the manufacturer wants a good supply of water to preserve the pump.
Your average garden hose has more kinks than the commons.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
design will have taken the mean averages into account, incl standard fittings, to theoreticaly ensure pump has enough water arriving , exception prob cheap chinesse washers dont strangle the supply,tap.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes
End of?
(It’s what I do but damned if I can be bothered explaining the Venturi and eddy effects in a small restriction area over a larger reservoir area, spurts and flow release...)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom