Does anyone actually know what grease to use on slider pins with rubber bushes!

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Completely confused!
I cleaned my calipers and used Textar Cera Tec ... (same stuff as Pagid) to lube the slider pins. Because it says on the tube "its for brake Caliper slider pins".
Now Discovered its mineral oil based!! ... and their tech dept .. say in wrIting it is "prohibited for use with rubber". So I bit the bullet on all that time wasted cleaning out the bushes and redid them.

My MB dealers parts dept said he was pretty sure, they just used the grey paste on sliders. So when getting the car MOT at another MB dealer, I asked their service department what should I use, they initially said "they didn't know", but checked with a technician, who said they use the grey paste. So I bought a tube £19.

Doing it properly I bought new bushes £22. And replaced one coroded pin.
Pulled out the old bushes, cleaned the bore of the caliper holder, greased it all up nicely yet again!.

I noticed the pins despite being beautifully clean, were not quite as slippery as when coated with Cera Tec, but they did slide much better than originally.

So, I tried to find a tech docs on this MB stuff.
Bluntly because I don't want it degrading a brand new set of bushes! Or swelling the rubber and binding the caliper pins.
IMG_4100.JPG

OK I think its fundamentally Bostik Never Seeze. But Bostik don't reply to info requests. :( :(
But I did see on 2 google posts its possibly Lithium Soap based, with added aluminium and copper?, checking ... Lithium grease has an additive to make mineral oil based grease more slippery?
But is Lithium Soap the same thing as Lithium Grease?

So I rang a third MB dealer, and their service department said "they never grease slider pins".
WTF!!

A lot of Google posts recommend this Permatex
IMG_4125.JPG
Hmmm yes its synthetic ... but read more and you find its mineral oil based and only for metal,to metal!! Obviously these guys stopped chemistry at prep school!
But hey it is available in the UK.

But from my research the only Permatex product for the job ( and solves all the issues ) is
IMG_4124.JPG
Quote:-
Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant protect and lubricates every part of a brake assembly and prevents comebacks caused by irritating brake noise.
-Formulated to reduce brake noise, vibrations and harshness
-Dampens natural vibrating frequencies
-Treated with the latest, rust, oxidation and anti-wear additives
-Fortified with high concentration, high temperature, ceramic solids
-Stays in place, protects at extreme temperatures (-54F – over 3000F)
-Chemical and corrosion resistant
-Will not wash away
-Compatible with most plastics and rubbers used in Disc Brake Caliper systems
-Meets JIS K 2228 with EPDM and Nitrile rubbers
And they do sell it in the USA in £7 tubes, but want £132 shipping!
Anyone know where you can buy this in the UK?

Or
Another option I worked out could be a possible, is
IMG_4123.JPG
But even that has a few negative reviews because its a Dielectric grease ... hmmm not sure why that matters ..
But I would trust 3M a lot more than all these fancy lying bastards, who hide their tech specifications. More marketing than science.
Also its £49 :-/ too expensive for me ... no small tubes available??

So who has a solution to this?
Surely there are more cars than S Class and CL Classes that use these floating caliper Ate brakes with rubber bushes?

Note part of the slider is exposed to the elements, so imo not greasing them is asking for issues, as evidenced by one pin where the plating had worn through.

If they were like the A Class where the slider is metal to metal, but has a rubber boot tbh I am so ****ed off with this I wouldnt give a toss. OK some protective boots fail early big deal .. replace them. But when the slider goes through rubber bushes if they swell then they will bind the pads!

Interestingly a lot of recommendations for Nappa SIL GLYDE, but people claim this is mineral oil based with added silicone, so its not recommended for rubber bushes. :-/

Last edited:

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
Completely confused!
I cleaned my calipers and used Textar Cera Tec ... (same stuff as Pagid) to lube the slider pins. Because it says on the tube "its for brake Caliper slider pins".
Now Discovered its mineral oil based!! ... and their tech dept .. say in wrIting it is "prohibited for use with rubber". So I bit the bullet on all that time wasted cleaning out the bushes and redid them.

My MB dealers parts dept said he was pretty sure, they just used the grey paste on sliders. So when getting the car MOT at another MB dealer, I asked their service department what should I use, they initially said "they didn't know", but checked with a technician, who said they use the grey paste. So I bought a tube £19.

Doing it properly I bought new bushes £22. And replaced one coroded pin.
Pulled out the old bushes, cleaned the bore of the caliper holder, greased it all up nicely yet again!.

I noticed the pins despite being beautifully clean, were not quite as slippery as when coated with Cera Tec, but they did slide much better than originally.

So, I tried to find a tech docs on this MB stuff.
Bluntly because I don't want it degrading a brand new set of bushes! Or swelling the rubber and binding the caliper pins.
View attachment 37908

OK I think its fundamentally Bostik Never Seeze. But Bostik don't reply to info requests. :( :(
But I did see on 2 google posts its possibly Lithium Soap based, with added aluminium and copper?, checking ... Lithium grease has an additive to make mineral oil based grease more slippery?
But is Lithium Soap the same thing as Lithium Grease?

So I rang a third MB dealer, and their service department said "they never grease slider pins".

WTF!!

A lot of Google posts recommend this Permatex
View attachment 37914
Hmmm yes its synthetic ... but read more and you find its mineral oil based and only for metal,to metal!! Obviously these guys stopped chemistry at prep school!
But hey it is available in the UK.

But from my research the only Permatex product for the job ( and solves all the issues ) is
View attachment 37913
Quote:-
Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant protect and lubricates every part of a brake assembly and prevents comebacks caused by irritating brake noise.
-Formulated to reduce brake noise, vibrations and harshness
-Dampens natural vibrating frequencies
-Treated with the latest, rust, oxidation and anti-wear additives
-Fortified with high concentration, high temperature, ceramic solids
-Stays in place, protects at extreme temperatures (-54F – over 3000F)
-Chemical and corrosion resistant
-Will not wash away
-Compatible with most plastics and rubbers used in Disc Brake Caliper systems
-Meets JIS K 2228 with EPDM and Nitrile rubbers
And they do sell it in the USA in £7 tubes, but want £132 shipping!
Anyone know where you can buy this in the UK?

Or
Another option I worked out could be a possible, is
View attachment 37912
But even that has a few negative reviews because its a Dielectric grease ... hmmm not sure why that matters ..
But I would trust 3M a lot more than all these fancy lying bastards, who hide their tech specifications. More marketing than science.
Also its £49 :-/ too expensive for me ... no small tubes available??

So who has a solution to this?
Surely there are more cars than S Class and CL Classes that use these floating caliper Ate brakes with rubber bushes?

Note part of the slider is exposed to the elements, so imo not greasing them is asking for issues, as evidenced by one pin where the plating had worn through.

If they were like the A Class where the slider is metal to metal, but has a rubber boot tbh I am so ****ed off with this I wouldnt give a toss. OK some protective boots fail early big deal .. replace them. But when the slider goes through rubber bushes if they swell then they will bind the pads!

Interestingly a lot of recommendations for Nappa SIL GLYDE, but people claim this is mineral oil based with added silicone, so its not recommended for rubber bushes. :-/

I had similar problems trying to find grease for caliper slider pins when re-furbing rear calipers for my W168.

Everyone has their own idea regarding the correct grease to use, there seemed to be no definitive answer.

Rightly or wrongly, I ended up using this stuff https://img.autoklad.ua/imgbank/tcd/pdf/01617806802255.pdf

I can't remember where I bought it, but I did succeed in buying a single tube. (Possibly direct from TRW??).

I hope this helps

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I'd expect 95 out of 100 garages don't put anything on there ever

I've always used the high temp posh grease I've got lying around. I've never seen a boot thats broken up just dirty rusty pins and the wear is rust not what they molykote one says, but an interesting post by Yugguy and nice price

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=8808EN

SECTION 3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Substance / Mixture

: Mixture

Chemical nature

: Organic grease

Hazardous ingredients

Chemical name CAS-No. Concentration (% w/w)

12-Hydroxy lithium stearate 7620-77-1 >= 9 - < = 10

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

Thanks
Do you use this yourself?
I think its looks like a repackaged Dow Corning product, which Imconsidered but couldnt find the data sheet formit. Or well it would not download.
This guy does state its based on Lithium Soap?
Lithium being mineral oil based would preclude it?

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I had similar problems trying to find grease for caliper slider pins when re-furbing rear calipers for my W168.

Everyone has their own idea regarding the correct grease to use, there seemed to be no definitive answer.

Rightly or wrongly, I ended up using this stuff https://img.autoklad.ua/imgbank/tcd/pdf/01617806802255.pdf

I can't remember where I bought it, but I did succeed in buying a single tube. (Possibly direct from TRW??).

I hope this helps
Thanks that looks like good stuff.
Now to find it. -/
Amazing one would expect this stuff to be so popular.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I'd expect 95 out of 100 garages don't put anything on there ever

I've always used the high temp posh grease I've got lying around. I've never seen a boot thats broken up just dirty rusty pins and the wear is rust not what they molykote one says, but an interesting post by Yugguy and nice price

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=8808EN

SECTION 3. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Substance / Mixture

: Mixture

Chemical nature

: Organic grease

Hazardous ingredients

Chemical name CAS-No. Concentration (% w/w)

12-Hydroxy lithium stearate 7620-77-1 >= 9 - < = 10

Thanks
You are probably right. But having bought new bushes they come a little bit slippery, as if coated in red rubber grease and then wioed off.
But push the slider pins in and out 6 or 7 times and they then dont glide so easily.
On the CL500 about 15mm of the pin is exposed to the elements, with only the bush to "wipe" them ... no rubber boot. So I reckon a few jet washes, lots of nice road crude and road salt would make them anything but free sliding.not to mention inside the bush there are a few indents ... ideal to have some grease in OR they could become lovely water traps to cause corrosion!
Know which I would choose.

.. and they that was the page I cant get stuff to download from my ipad.
Will try later on my PC.

I have asked him to confirm its Dow Corning.

Last edited:

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I've used it on both the Merc and the yaris, after I couldn't get a straight word on what to use.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
In all the workshops i've worked in the past 40 yrs, most mechanics just put in whatever grease is closest to hand. It's not really a big thing. Copperslip is most common and works fine..

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom