1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door locks cycle whenever I accelerate??

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by gioiaart, May 19, 2017.

1. gioiaart

gioiaart New Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 ml 320
    Hello there,
    I am new to this ML 320 1998 . I bought it with a problem with the door locks (heard it was common). Whenever I accelerate the doors lock. Making a vacuum type noice through the car. The front control panel locks all the doors but the driver (needs key) and back hatch. Both needs to be locked manually.
    Any idea what could be the problem? It's quite annoying., thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Not quite clear here - do you mean every time you accelerate or just the first time after you get in?
    Any lock that's not working could have a bad creator (in the door) or a bad vacuum hose.

gioiaart likes this.
  3. OP
    gioiaart

gioiaart New Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 ml 320
    Every time I leave stop light or stop sign the door locks cycle trying to close. It sounds like a vacuum issue. The hatch does not work by center console. It needs to be locked by hand. Although I find it unlocked often??
    The driver side door actuator I think is bad. Could that affect all doors. It's so annoying to hear all the time.

4. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    My 2007 C Estate locks automatically as soon as I drive away - it can be unlocked and re-locked via a button on the dashboard.
    - I think the ML should do the same but if you have actuator fault(s) it's very difficult to know what's happening.

Before you throw money at it, try some "instant maintenance" (WD40!) on each lock and see if it helps - I had some funny things going on a couple of years ago and gentle wiping over and spraying each lock with WD40 seemed to solve it. Before that solved it, the electrician at my local garage said it was most probably an earth problem but fortunately I didn't need to investigate any more.

5. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Manually lock the drivers door (push down the button) before you drive off and see if it still does it.
    The drivers door has switches in it to tell the central locking if the door is unlocked by the key. If the switch is left in the open position because the door doesn't lock then the rest of the locks will cycle.
    I'd suspect a bad drivers door actuator.

6. OP
    gioiaart

gioiaart New Member

Your Mercedes:
    1998 ml 320
    I will try that! Thank you! It wasn't doing it for a week. So there is something I can do I just have not figured it out yet. Like make sure back hatch is locked as well since that too won't lock without manual. Again, thank you ! U rock that might be it!