DPF and driving

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C Class Coupe AMG Sport BlueEfficiency 2011 C220cdi
Hi all

To clean to DPF and from preventing problems, I take my car on a long run once a month. In between that I usually have to go somewhere which is a 150mile round trip and so the car gets a good blasting so to speak. On occasions where I do not, I do make the conscious effort (at least once a month) to give it a roasting. I usually drive in 3rd gear for about 15 - 20 miles at 66mph ish, this is where the revs sit bang on 3000 rpm.

My question is this speed/rpm & length of mileage sufficient enough to burn the soot out the DPF or am I doing this incorrectly or should it e above this rpm level?

For example yesterday, I drove the car as I have stated above and when I go back home and parked up, left the car in "P" and let the engine idle for 2-3 mins and the cooling fan came on, so I must've got the engine hot enough to satisfy the burning?

Any feedback welcome.

Car is a 220cdi, coupe, 2011 with 65,000miles
Ravi

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The 150 mile round trip should be enough, MB will regen when it needs to

OP
Ravs1988

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, but my question was more to do with if I the cycle be ok if I do not get the opportunity with the 150 miles around trip?!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Thanks, but my question was more to do with if I the cycle be ok if I do not get the opportunity with the 150 miles around trip?!
I just run mine now and again on auto at 70, that seems to do the trick.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi,

I have my 2011 C220 CDI for almost 3 years and the 2011 E220 CDI for 2 years. Most of the driving is in heavy traffic commuting with the odd long run thrown in.
During my time of ownership I have never made any special attempt to clean the DPF by driving hard or increasing the revs intentionally.
I check the soot and ash content using the iCarsoft i980 and can see the levels increasing up to just over 100% and then reduced down the next time I check without me doing anything special.
I have noticed a burning smell and the exhaust tip was hot to the touch when I stopped once or twice but that was after a low speed commute of about 10 miles.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I drove my 2010 diesel for 8 years and never did anything special for the DPF. Admittedly, much of the driving was longer (over 30 mile) trips but even when we used it as our local run around for a while I had no problems. From my experience, it would regenerate when it wanted to, not when I expected it to. It didn’t seem to matter whether it was town or motorway. With a Euro 5, I wouldn’t get too worked up by it and I think the Euro 6 engines are more likely to have problems as they have to catch more soot to meet the regs.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
I agree about not having to do anything special and the DPF managing itself.
My cars are both Euro 5 and I agree that Euro 6 is more stringent.
That said, I assume the the 'Bluetec' system is more efficient at cleaning the DPF.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Nothing to do with dpf cleaning as it controls NOx .

OP
Ravs1988

Ravs1988

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting! Thanks for the replies.

I guess the only caveat is that should it be in town driving and it starts to regenerate and I cancel it by switching the car off then I'm back to square one. So hence why consciously take it for a spin.

I've heard there's subtle signs to look out for during town driving to notice a regeneration, as an example: Revs sit higher than normal on idle, burning smell, Ash deposits on the exhaust...

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof

I guess the only caveat is that should it be in town driving and it starts to regenerate and I cancel it by switching the car off then I'm back to square one. So hence why consciously take it for a spin.

I've heard there's subtle signs to look out for during town driving to notice a regeneration, as an example: Revs sit higher than normal on idle, burning smell, Ash deposits on the exhaust...
Revs higher, doesnt drive as smoothly. And when sitting in neutral it idles slightly higher. If you open the door you can feel the heat from under the car.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

My wife used her car for 10 minute drives to my son, shops etc..DPF was a problem - the engine never got up to proper running temperature.

Now that she does longer runs the DPF problem has gone away. I was in a hurry to buy her a car (was working overseas) and if I'd thought it through, would have got a petrol.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
auto express just did an article on posh fuel verses rubbish, they believe using decent stuff is worth while...
If I was inclined to penny pinch would always do one posh to one supermarket trash if I ran a diesel, on my vehicles I actually only use shell or esso

it does all come from the same rubbish in a refinery... but when the big brands fill the tanker to go to the petrol station, as its filled they add expensive additives, supermarket stuff I'm led to believe either don't bother or use budget versions

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
auto express just did an article on posh fuel verses rubbish, they believe using decent stuff is worth while...
If I was inclined to penny pinch would always do one posh to one supermarket trash if I ran a diesel, on my vehicles I actually only use shell or esso

it does all come from the same rubbish in a refinery... but when the big brands fill the tanker to go to the petrol station, as its filled they add expensive additives, supermarket stuff I'm led to believe either don't bother or use budget versions

My cars have only ever had supermarket fuel .... though the Roadster gets Tesco's finest Momenteum :)

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR

The fuel companies just love to BS us all with "additives" Diesel is diesel. Comes from same place, often using same truck etc. Don't be fooled.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
.....I'm pretty sure that the oil companies would be in trouble if they were selling additives that did not exist or function as advertised.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
The best thing about diesel is the cetane number isn't disclosed .

Add your own additives , 2-EHN , JASO FB 2- Stroke , Kerosene , Dipetane , Acetone or whatever .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
When the big brands fill the tanker to go to the petrol station, as its filled they add expensive additives, supermarket stuff I'm led to believe either don't bother or use budget versions

They add really cheap additives, ups the profit on fuel massively

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have come to the conclusion that there is so much conflicting advice regarding premium fuels you need to use your own opinion even if like me it’s based on a lack of knowledge.

Even well respected members offer differing opinions.

I have always used premium fuels from new in my car not for any perceived power advantage but more for the fuel additives.

Luckily my mileage in retirement is not huge and cost is not a worry (at the moment anyway).

Robin

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom