DPF filling speed.

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
Hi all.

Just joined so please be gentle

I've got a 2012 E220CDI with 200,000 miles on the clock. I've recently installed the Autel Maxi AP200 diagnostic tool app and wondered what anyone else is getting as a DPF soot level increase when doing normal driving, or what their ratio of DPF regenerations to driving time is? Mine is going up roughly 1% per mile, slightly less if doing steady 50 or 60 on A roads. It starts a regen at about 100% and this stops at about 35%.
I only ask as I'm trying to figure out if the DPF is old and partially blocked ( had a Halfords flush, and used about 5 different DPF additive cleaners over last coupe of months ) or if the injectors are on their way out and causing an inefficient fuel burn, or some other thing like a EGR valve.
I've got no EML or fault codes, but I was getting a limp mode with a pending DPF frequency code. Turns out, there is a ratio of regenerations to driving time. If you stop start the car during a regen cycle, it counts every start of the car as a new regen cycle, so once this ratio hits 15%, the car goes into this limp mode which stops any regenerations, thus reducing this ratio. I now have the diagnostic app on every journey, and if a regen burn starts, I drive until it's compete. I've reduced the ratio to 12% in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001-223057.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-223057.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 24

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Approx regen once every 200-400 miles, so yours is a bit on the high side. Common causes are air leaks in the boost system, bad injector(s) causing increased soot.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Approx regen once every 200-400 miles, so yours is a bit on the high side. Common causes are air leaks in the boost system, bad injector(s) causing increased soot.
Commonly caused by egr valves not closing properly too. Much black smoke on non-dpf cars when this happens so dpf is absorbing all that extra soot.

OP
J

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
Could be worn injectors what’s your fuel consumption like?
Pretty good according to the display. I drive 52 miles to work on mixture of country lanes and long A roads and I'm getting 48-52 mpg. I'll work out what I'm actually getting from the next tank.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the fuel consumption according to those figures so I’d be inclined to clean/replace the EGR as a cost effective starting point

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Same engine, although single turbo.
Mine will regen between 460 and 580 miles. I believe the 580 is because the ECU decides it has gone far enough w/o rather than it being full.
Yesterday it reports 450Km since the last at 52% full.

My rough calc's tell me I'm using 1- 2% extra fuel due to regens. I don't have issue with that.

In your case I would be interested to know the calculated ash level. That doesn't incinerate during a regen and builds up. Personally I wouldn't want additives that may clean the DPF going through my system, a remove and clean would be my choice. Halfords wouldn't get anywhere near it.

I would price the remove and clean and compare to replacement with aftermarket to decide if it worth the extra bucks. My figures are with a £460 aftermarket fitted (labour was my own). You then need such as Star to reset the ash level to zero. Be prepared for the temp sensor to be reluctant to come out.

This assumes your engine is in good order and oil isn't passing to block / increase regens of any DPF.

remuspur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w212
Hi all.

Just joined so please be gentle

I've got a 2012 E220CDI with 200,000 miles on the clock. I've recently installed the Autel Maxi AP200 diagnostic tool app and wondered what anyone else is getting as a DPF soot level increase when doing normal driving, or what their ratio of DPF regenerations to driving time is? Mine is going up roughly 1% per mile, slightly less if doing steady 50 or 60 on A roads. It starts a regen at about 100% and this stops at about 35%.
I only ask as I'm trying to figure out if the DPF is old and partially blocked ( had a Halfords flush, and used about 5 different DPF additive cleaners over last coupe of months ) or if the injectors are on their way out and causing an inefficient fuel burn, or some other thing like a EGR valve.
I've got no EML or fault codes, but I was getting a limp mode with a pending DPF frequency code. Turns out, there is a ratio of regenerations to driving time. If you stop start the car during a regen cycle, it counts every start of the car as a new regen cycle, so once this ratio hits 15%, the car goes into this limp mode which stops any regenerations, thus reducing this ratio. I now have the diagnostic app on every journey, and if a regen burn starts, I drive until it's compete. I've reduced the ratio to 12% in 2 weeks.
Hi. Did you fix it? I have same issue. Thx.

OP
J

Jules13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass 220cdi 2012 W212
Hi. Did you fix it? I have same issue. Thx.
Hi. I used a foam DPF cleaner put in through the larger of the 2 differential pressure sensor pipes. This cleared a lot out, but the Autel app allows me to force a regeneration whilst driving and this resets the ratio of regenerations to driving time. It's been several months now and I'm still at 10%, rather than that higher number. Well worth the £65 as a garage charge £99 to do a forced regeneration.

Reactions: DSK

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Is it really worth shoving all these cleaners down it since it is either not regenerating properly or running in a way that makes too much soot.

Reactions: M80

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom