Dreaded 'ABC Drive Carefully' warning came on...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Not wishing to set any pigeons running, a rumble type noise from that area can be the sign of an ABC pump failing, which was what happened to me and caused my leak. The ABC pump is on the front passesnger side of the engine (in a RHD SL55, anyway). Hope it is nothing too serious for you.
That would be my thought too. I always thought the pulsation damper set up more of a whine than a rumble.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks. I have noticed there is also a rumble type noise from the front passenger side when at low RPM - goes away when you accelerate. Reading the sticky about the ABC system, it points to the pulsation damper failing. I haven't had the warning come up again since topping up the fluid, but I'm not really driving it much till the guys at Star have had a look - which should be on Thursday.

Fingers crossed and will keep you updated.

It’s a failing pump, sorry to say. £500 from MB.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Bugger! It is definitely a rumble and not a whine. Hard to describe but quite low level and if you have music playing then quite hard to notice. Turn the music down and you can hear it quite distinctly until the revs climb a little.

Think I'll leave driving it till I can get it to Star at Caversham....

If it is the pump, what's the likely cost to fix/replace?

Thanks for the diagnosis chaps.

Last edited:

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I had the "rumble" on mine & the fluid level dropped. I got the pulsation damper changed (over a year since), upped the level to normal & that was it. Unfortunately on mine it was nearly engine out to get at it though but I got a deal up front to change the damper.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I'm sure there was a long thread on here a while back about someone getting their ABC system sorted - can anyone remember whose thread it was??

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG

Good plan. Do not drive it, regardless of what you can hear with the radio on. My replacement ABC pump was £1,300 fitted from MB, however I paid through the nose, and it is possible to do it for less than that. Ian at Star will be your best bet, I would have taken it to him, but MB assist will only recover it to a dealership, and they are convenient for me.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I'm sure there was a long thread on here a while back about someone getting their ABC system sorted - can anyone remember whose thread it was??
Moi

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah cool. Will look that up for sure in a bit.
Thanks, just couldn't remember who it was.
MB are now offering reconditioned pumps with 24mth warranty for either £500 or £550. I had @Welwyn Merx fit mine, takes an hour or so.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Bugger! It is definitely a rumble and not a whine. Hard to describe but quite low level and if you have music playing then quite hard to notice. Turn the music down and you can hear it quite distinctly until the revs climb a little.

Thanks for the diagnosis chaps.
I’m afraid so...my post 6 said as much- as SL55 stated , mine was also the same situation I’d no warning as you saw in my post, so had to pay the £1300 dealer price too (new pump). As Craig says there are recon ones at £500 ish...
I remember on a previous thread someone reckoned these can recon ANB pumps too but I’m not sure if anyone tried?
http://www.power-steering.co.uk/contact-us/

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
MB are now offering reconditioned pumps with 24mth warranty for either £500 or £550. I had @Welwyn Merx fit mine, takes an hour or so.

Thanks - that isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. I'm going to look up your old post now.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Thanks - that isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. I'm going to look up your old post now.

@Craiglxviii - found your old posts about the replacement pump. From your post above, does it mean that you buy the recon pumps direct from MB now?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I got my replacement pump from these guys, price seemed good, though it was priced on advert as taking in your old pump. On top of fitting there is the oil to buy, which I think was about 10 litres to do a complete refill/flush. I done over 4000mls on my reconditioned pump, fingers crossed. The whole job cost me £500 all up to get done :).

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
I got my replacement pump from these guys, price seemed good, though it was priced on advert as taking in your old pump. On top of fitting there is the oil to buy, which I think was about 10 litres to do a complete refill/flush. I done over 4000mls on my reconditioned pump, fingers crossed. The whole job cost me £500 all up to get done :).

Where was that from? Grangemouth?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Do you mean the Polish ebay people Peter or MB Grangemouth?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That’s the Polish people.

My experience...

I was charged €470 for a recon pump. Core return “was never delivered”. Supplied pump failed within a week. Warranty required me to return the pump for testing, 8 weeks’ lead time to resolve. So basically it was reneged on.

New pump bought from MB and touch wood... I’m not going to say it ;)

Top Bottom