Dreaded 'ABC Drive Carefully' warning came on...

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
That’s the Polish people.

My experience...

I was charged €470 for a recon pump. Core return “was never delivered”. Supplied pump failed within a week. Warranty required me to return the pump for testing, 8 weeks’ lead time to resolve. So basically it was reneged on.

New pump bought from MB and touch wood... I’m not going to say it ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's the worry with buying a critical part from somewhere other than the manufacturer or someone with a long history of supplying high quality consistently. Presume the MB route doesn't require the exchange of old pump?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think the MB still requires return of the old unit (not 100% on that) but Craig’s experience would put me off the Polish route. At least you know where you are with MB

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Thanks for sharing your experience. That's the worry with buying a critical part from somewhere other than the manufacturer or someone with a long history of supplying high quality consistently. Presume the MB route doesn't require the exchange of old pump?
It does, they offer a £100 core return deposit (~£600 ==> ~£500). I did mine through my Indy who did the swapover at MB Luton’s parts counter.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
That’s the Polish people.

My experience...

I was charged €470 for a recon pump. Core return “was never delivered”. Supplied pump failed within a week. Warranty required me to return the pump for testing, 8 weeks’ lead time to resolve. So basically it was reneged on.

New pump bought from MB and touch wood... I’m not going to say it ;)

Yes that was from the Polish people.
Sounds like you had a Friday assembled unit Craig, when mine arrived it was hard to distinguish it from a brand new unit. So far so good.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Quick update - the guys at Star diagnosed it as blown/worn accumulator, especially as there was a slight vibration in the car which went when the RPM climbed and the pump took over some of the work (so I understand). The error codes came back as low pressure, but there were no visible oil leaks to account for the loss of fluid.

Booked in for next week to fix....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Quick update - the guys at Star diagnosed it as blown/worn accumulator, especially as there was a slight vibration in the car which went when the RPM climbed and the pump took over some of the work (so I understand). The error codes came back as low pressure, but there were no visible oil leaks to account for the loss of fluid.

That’s a result. I was extremely hopeful of the same when I had the issues, but mine was the pump as you’ve seen....:(
Hope it all gets sorted, good blokes there

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Result! I may have a dying accumulator too...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

The oil leaking into the accumulator will cause a drop in levels.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sigh....and why wouldn’t you? :D
I say I may, I know I do, it’s been in the way out since I bought it. However it’s been filed under “fix after more critical shoite” ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I say I may, I know I do, it’s been in the way out since I bought it. However it’s been filed under “fix after more critical shoite” ;)
And loads of that there hath been....:eek:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

Change them all! Blown accumulators cause blown lines as the shock waves do not get absorbed, mainly on the return and pulsation damper.

OP
rexemper

rexemper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 - oh yeah!
Change them all! Blown accumulators cause blown lines as the shock waves do not get absorbed, mainly on the return and pulsation damper.

I'm hoping that its just the one that needs doing right now. If one goes, is it likely that the others will follow? Or doesn't it work like that??

Depending on how much more it is, I think I'll ask about getting the fluid and filter changed at the same time. Not sure if fluid replacement is part of the job when replacing an accumulator?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Some fluid would get lost in the job anyway so it’s worth biting the bullet and get the fluid changed

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I'm hoping that its just the one that needs doing right now. If one goes, is it likely that the others will follow? Or doesn't it work like that??

Depending on how much more it is, I think I'll ask about getting the fluid and filter changed at the same time. Not sure if fluid replacement is part of the job when replacing an accumulator?

I'm sure that it's an age thing. In my opinion if one is gone then the others cannot be far away.

Top Bottom