DVLA Thieving...

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Thieving £$%^&*(

It's the principle though only £20.

I sold my Alfa 159 on the 30th of April which was a Sunday (I replaced it with my CLK). It was very convenient because my best pal bought it off me and we did the exchange of cash for car.
Anyway when I got home on the Sunday evening I went online to notify the DVLA of the vehicle ownership change because it saves a 70p stamp or whatever and some extra writing, ink blah blah
tongue.gif

"Sorry this pathetic service shuts at 7pm". It's online for chrissake.
So I fill in the V5 which my pal had signed and sent it off. They would have received it by the 5th - 7th of May (you know where I am going with this).

So you have to wait 6 weeks for the refund that never turned up. So I have just phoned them.

"Sorry sir we work from the official notification in writing which was May (whatever) and as such that month you do not get". I said "But I sold it in April and could not use the car" which is true.

He says "You should have used our online service sir.." I swore along the lines of "It closes for dinner" (or Tea if you're not posh).
frown.gif

****** thieving monkeys.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Do not get me started. Its moronic. You are liable if you sell the car and they don't process/receive the V5. I was stung for 4 months of road tax on a vehicle I did not own. Since then, I send 3 letters off along with the V5 when I sell a vehicle.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I've said this all along about car tax not being transferable, so everyone is expected to sell their car at the end of the month otherwise the dvla have whats remaining in days and the new owner has to tax from the begining of the month so double taxing said car. Double bubble for the theiving dvla. :(

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I've said this all along about car tax not being transferable, so everyone is expected to sell their car at the end of the month otherwise the dvla have whats remaining in days and the new owner has to tax from the begining of the month so double taxing said car. Double bubble for the theiving dvla. :(

Hasn't it always been this way? If you wanted to get a refund for your tax you got it for the subsequent months and if some one bought it to tax it they would pay for a whole month even at the end of the month.

The annoying thing is an online system that closes at 7pm. Why? Time and date are recorded therefore it should be possible to cancel right up to midnight on the last day of the month.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Yes but you could sell the car with tax on it, so the new owner could drive till the remaining tax expired

Last edited:

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Another highway robbery tactic. I suspect it will lead to people buying and selling just before the end of a month.
Guess you could purchase the car before the end of the month if it is already taxed.
The previous owner could post the V5 and claim a refund from the end of the month. You could tax it from the beginning of that month, ie the next day. On ANPR it would still show as taxed ??
Still robbery though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I've thought this was robbery from the day they introduced it.

Surely there should be an investigation by some regulatory body as to how they can get away with claiming two lots of 'tax' on one vehicle at the same time

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I can also remember when buying a car with tax left to run was a bonus, and of course meant you could drive it home at least,

but that was also when the insurance would allow you to notify them of a change of vehicle, within a reasonable time.

Now to buy a car and drive it home you need to wait for the ex owner to cancel the tax so you can tax it as new owner.
You also need to arrange insurance before you attempt to drive it home or chance getting it crushed. so that would mean arranging the insurance before travelling to the vehicle in case there are issues at the vehicle site. That is you've to wait in a telephone queue that then terminates your call.
Then if you've a private reg you need to transfer that to a retention plate if you sell your old car, then tranfer it to the new car later and then pay the insurance admin fee for informing them of the change.

If any of these organisations or as said the post office screw up their dictated process you're the one that's wrong.

I see good incentives to keep good old cars for many years, but the Gov't don't want us to do that.

I think Highway Robbers is a good description of the DVLA, especially as if you're car uses some more fuel that costs you extra to run, most of which is tax, you also get ripped off by having to pay more road tax.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Dont forget insurance cancellation fees if you sell your car... that fee can cost more than whats left to run on the insurance...

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
I've thought this was robbery from the day they introduced it.

Surely there should be an investigation by some regulatory body as to how they can get away with claiming two lots of 'tax' on one vehicle at the same time
It's not tax, it's vehicle excise duty, but that aside when did anything stop the government taxing you multiple times?

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
similarly they shaft you for the pleasure of only taxing for 6mths aswell

OP
MalcQV

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Another highway robbery tactic. I suspect it will lead to people buying and selling just before the end of a month.
Guess you could purchase the car before the end of the month if it is already taxed.
The previous owner could post the V5 and claim a refund from the end of the month. You could tax it from the beginning of that month, ie the next day. On ANPR it would still show as taxed ??
Still robbery though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can but technically it is illegal. If you were involved in an accident or a road side check you might end up in trouble.
It does all seem to be a bit of a con.

My real annoyance in my case was the 7pm deadline but also that even though I sold it on the the last day of the month and my pal obviously then purchased it (he incidentally SORN'd it because it needed some work doing on it and he has a car to sell) is that the V5 stated April 30th with both our signatures on and they still have the audacity to ignore it and run from when they receive the V5. It is daylight robbery and I'm going to phone them again I think.
Watch this space.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Unless you buy a car at the very end of a month, why not ask the current owner (assuming this is a private purchase) to delay change of ownership for 24 hours? Then you have his permission to drive the car that technically belongs to him, and you are still taxed for the drive home.
You can always insure the car yourself if the current owner will not let you drive home on his insurance. Insurance does not have to coincide with tax.

It is not an answer to the double whammy, but at least you get home legally without hassle.

Umble.

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
Don't get me stated on the DVLA, my current car has my motor bike number plate and the plate that should be on my car has disappeared. I sent off my documents V5C plus £80 cheque to get them to change what the system had screwed up and heard nothing for a month. I mistakenly didn't send the documents recorded so I have been waiting a month to see if they had actually received them which they now have thank God.
Unknowingly I rode my motor bike to a bike event with the wrong numberplate on, then I took my car to a Mercedes event with the wrong number plates on too. If I'd have been stopped on either occasion I'd be in deep s**t as I knew nothing until the incorrect V5C's turned up, plus I've been charged by my insurance companies for changing registration details. It's been like 'talk to the hand' for weeks now trying to sort it. I've given up and can only wait.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Y
Unless you buy a car at the very end of a month, why not ask the current owner (assuming this is a private purchase) to delay change of ownership for 24 hours? Then you have his permission to drive the car that technically belongs to him, and you are still taxed for the drive home.
You can always insure the car yourself if the current owner will not let you drive home on his insurance. Insurance does not have to coincide with tax.

It is not an answer to the double whammy, but at least you get home legally without hassle.

Umble.
U can't drive on the sellers insurance unless you are a named driver. U can driver on the buyers insurance providing the buyer doesn't own the vehicle but it's 3rd party only. Who would let anyone one drive away in a car that hasn't yet passed over on ownership.......not me!

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
No need to wait for previous owner to declare anything for rfl. Can be taxed as new owner immediately.

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
No need to wait for previous owner to declare anything for rfl. Can be taxed as new owner immediately.

Unless previous owner has declared SORN, then it seems to lockout the ability to tax a particular VIN for a few days.

Got caught by that in the past :(

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
When i bought my SL i couldn't apply for the road tax because the web site said the vehicle was already taxed. I had to wait for the seller to cancel the tax first.

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
It uses the code off the green slip to know you're a new owner. This allows you to tax it.
I bought 2 cars in January, one of which was sorn, the other was currently taxed by the current owner.
I also bought a motorbike two weeks ago that had been sorn since last year.
Taxed all 3 on my phone before leaving the premises using the green slip.
Its a good system that actually works.

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I really don't know why DVLA can't cope with an ownership/tax change on any date. The owner ought to be able to go online and enter the new owner details and registered ownership and the remaining tax should be transferred immediately. This was all supposed to be for the benefit of honest idiots like us who pay our road tax and defeat the thieves who drove (and still do!) without tax.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/59941/road-tax-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-system

This says: Confusion over the new rules has been blamed for a dramatic rise in prosecutions for untaxed vehicles.

DVLA data obtained by AutoExpress: 117,490 enforcement cases in the six months after the tax disc was scrapped,
Previously... 82,999 or 86,939 in the previous two six-month periods when the tax disc was still in use.
Out-of-court settlements doubled from 53,799 to 97,348 in the six-month period, while the number of cars clamped for unpaid road tax has soared from around 5,500 per month to 8,800.

But it looks like it was such a very well designed that it lost them £200M - FT 6/6/17 (so they need to screw honest people)!
https://www.ft.com/content/1ae85ec0-2bf2-11e6-a18d-a96ab29e3c95?mhq5j=e2
- Revenues plummet after car tax discs scrapped

Top Bottom