E Class Coupe - thoughts please!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the E Class Coupe circa 12 reg with a view to buy. I need to rationalise my 3 cars down to 2 so thinking of selling the 210 and Focus and buying an E Coupe there are so many 2nd owner cosseted cars out there the temptation is getting the better of me.

I’m torn between diesel and petrol so thoughts on those and the fact that I’m 6ft 1in tall so is the interior going to be a bit snug especially compared to the 212 estate?

The car will be used mainly for shortish runs so makes more sense to run petrol but the OM642 is so tempting, I also have a niggle about the simplex timing chain of the smaller engine which puts me off.

All thoughts welcome especially from owners

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
if you don't need economy or do the miles , go for a petrol model but with one of the larger engines , spec wise I'd go AMG spec as they look great , derv wise I'd go for a 350 without hesitation , its seems to be the engine to go for judging by the comments from owners of them on here

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
if you don't need economy or do the miles , go for a petrol model but with one of the larger engines , spec wise I'd go AMG spec as they look great , derv wise I'd go for a 350 without hesitation , its seems to be the engine to go for judging by the comments from owners of them on here

There are a few 350CGI out there (enough to provide a choice) so that’s an option I’m quite happy with, when you say ‘AMG models’ do you mean Sport or am I missing something. I’d love a 5 litre version but the VED is really off putting which is a pity

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I have an E350 CDi Sport Coupe and find it to be very comfortable inside, granted I'm only 5' 11" but my son who is also 6' 1" like you, and has a 34" inside leg measurement finds it very comfortable too. There is still some room under his foot with the seat in the full back position.

If you need to carry adult back seat passengers they might find it a little snug though, it will however, be fine if they are young children up to maybe 5' 6" tall.

I will admit that getting in and out of the back is a young persons game, lol. ;)

I love the torque the V6 3.0 litre diesel engine provides and as long as you are doing 15 miles or more at a time and drive reasonably you will see economy in the low 40's mpg regularly. In fact even when driven fairly aggressively I am still achieving mid twenties to low thirties mpg. This can deteriorate to the teens when driven very aggressively.

IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2676.JPG

I think that the Coupe is one of the best looking Mercedes there is, and the diesel is so smooth and quiet. It can also be driven very economically if the mood takes you, as well as being pretty fast too. A great compromise car if you like.

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Certainly looks nice Jim in my opinion they are the best value for money out there s/h and plentiful even when well specced

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No arguement from me sir!

I love mine. :D

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Certainly looks nice Jim in my opinion they are the best value for money out there s/h and plentiful even when well specced

I admit I paid top dollar for mine but it had full S/H and ridiculously low miles for it's age (17 and a bit K, lol). I got it at the end of march and it's almost done 22K now, any excuse to drive it tbh, it's like my second home. :D

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Great looking MB. My 2012 e250cdi mag coupe has been brilliant. Reliable, everything seems well made and after my 6 years with it there are no rattles. So good I am keeping it rather than replacing. And has averaged an accurate 49mpg over its 60k miles. Good cruiser and each year used for trip to Spain.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
I have the convertible and have no problems at 6'2" fitting in, but it depends on your driving position. If you sit upright it may get a bit tight. These do at least have a decent amount of rear legroom for what they are (and the primary reason I went for one over the Audi A5).

Must say that its been perfectly fine, but the cabin in these are particularly bland and boring and the drive isn't anywhere near as inspiring or sporty as they should be. Its a very old man's feel of a car. And that's the AMG Sport trim not the SE.

I'd definitely look at a petrol from the sounds of your driving. Given the experience personal friends have with their 350 CDI's I would avoid that engine. This was one of the factors in me choosing the 250, which so far has been the right choice (£180 of non service repair bills compared to £1200 for my mates identical Cabriolet (same year, just different engine). 4 others with 350 CDI's have had £500+ bills over the same period. Those with 220/250 CDI's have had no additional bills over servicing with the exception of mine and one other which have both needed sensors replaced.

Seen 11 E class cars on the side of the road with their hazards on over my travels in the last 3 weeks, 9 were 350 CDI's and the other 2 were de-badged.

I would advise listening for squeaks on these as they are quite common and can be a real pain to eradicate.

Going back I'm not sure I would now buy it over the Audi. Nothing wrong with it as such, just a bit boring, functional, but boring.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
What's your budget?

I would recommend the 350CGi, and if you can stretch to a late 11 or 12 reg one you can pick up the much improved ,m276 V6

Go for the glass Pano roof, stick with 18" inch wheels on our roads
Most V6 coupe will be pretty fully loaded otherwise

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Had my 2011 350 CDI (265 bhp) for 6 weeks now, loving it so far, pretty economical if you want (35-40 mpg) or if you fancy a play , boy can it shift, especially in sport mode. Mine is white with pan roof , red leather, Harmon kardon etc. Recently ordered new wheels, tyres and springs for it, should look fantastic when fitted:)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I looked at the E class Coupe to replace my CLK, but the boot was too small for our needs.
Bought a 2011 E350CDI, very pleased & a great engine.

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
What's your budget?

I would recommend the 350CGi, and if you can stretch to a late 11 or 12 reg one you can pick up the much improved ,m276 V6

Go for the glass Pano roof, stick with 18" inch wheels on our roads
Most V6 coupe will be pretty fully loaded otherwise

Having looked at what’s on offer I’ve narrowed the engine choice down to either the 350CGI or the CDI equivalent, they are better equipped as standard and usually have more extras including COMAND which I would miss if it wasn’t there.

Just need to get out there and look at one or two now

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I have an E350 CDi Sport Coupe and find it to be very comfortable inside, granted I'm only 5' 11" but my son who is also 6' 1" like you, and has a 34" inside leg measurement finds it very comfortable too. There is still some room under his foot with the seat in the full back position.

If you need to carry adult back seat passengers they might find it a little snug though, it will however, be fine if they are young children up to maybe 5' 6" tall.

I will admit that getting in and out of the back is a young persons game, lol. ;)

I love the torque the V6 3.0 litre diesel engine provides and as long as you are doing 15 miles or more at a time and drive reasonably you will see economy in the low 40's mpg regularly. In fact even when driven fairly aggressively I am still achieving mid twenties to low thirties mpg. This can deteriorate to the teens when driven very aggressively.

View attachment 44292 View attachment 44293

I think that the Coupe is one of the best looking Mercedes there is, and the diesel is so smooth and quiet. It can also be driven very economically if the mood takes you, as well as being pretty fast too. A great compromise car if you like.

IMO this shape is one of the prettiest cars Mercedes ever built! Prettier front than the latest bulging air intakes, and the back matches the font. Looks very Modern with timeless Perfect lines .... for my taste looked ace :)

What W number is it?
Is this one an AMG Line?
And what age is it?

I saw one AMG line version at our dealers and I think it was 2015.

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
I'd definitely look at a petrol from the sounds of your driving. Given the experience personal friends have with their 350 CDI's I would avoid that engine. This was one of the factors in me choosing the 250, which so far has been the right choice (£180 of non service repair bills compared to £1200 for my mates identical Cabriolet (same year, just different engine). 4 others with 350 CDI's have had £500+ bills over the same period. Those with 220/250 CDI's have had no additional bills over servicing with the exception of mine and one other which have both needed sensors replaced.

Seen 11 E class cars on the side of the road with their hazards on over my travels in the last 3 weeks, 9 were 350 CDI's and the other 2 were de-badged.

This is a first, plus, how many friends do you have with A/C207's!? Going by the general consensus of this forum, and my own personal experience, the 350 CDI is the one to go for, and is relatively problem free. Did you drive the 350? I've driven both and the decision was easy.
I also see the OP currently owns a 350CDI, so he obviously rates it.

OP you mentioned liking the sound of owning the 5.5L, but not the VED... I've been looking at later model E500 coupe/cab, that came with the 4.7 twin turbo which is around £200 cheaper on VED, but with more power and torque. Win Win. Quite rare though.

OP
malcolm E53 AMG

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
IMO this shape is one of the prettiest cars Mercedes ever built! Prettier front than the latest bulging air intakes, and the back matches the font. Looks very Modern with timeless Perfect lines .... for my taste looked ace :)

What W number is it?
Is this one an AMG Line?
And what age is it?

I saw one AMG line version at our dealers and I think it was 2015.

Totally agree sub, the E Coupe Sport circa 2012-14 is (for me) the best looking, as the link posted by JBell. There is a 350CDI currently on sale which I would buy but it’s in black, I’ve owned one black car and won’t have another but what a good buy for someone

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...keywords=Sunroof&maximum-mileage=70000&page=1

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom