E Class Diesel Estate E220d SE 5dr 9G-Tronic - 2017.5 vs 2018

MichaeW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017/2018 E Class Diesel Estate E220d SE 5dr 9G-Tronic
I am in the early stages of looking at leasing a E Class Diesel Estate E220d SE 5dr 9G-Tronic. Having looked at all of the competition I have decided that this is the car for me. I have contacted a number of leasing Companies having found leasing offers on the Web.

One of the things that I have asked the companies to confirm is that the vehicles that they are offering are 2018 models. Perhaps not surprisingly the majority of them have come back and said that yes they are 2018 models. However a couple have said that they are 2017.5 models.

I then went onto the MB UK website and via the live chat asked what was the difference between 2017.5 and 2018. They seemed unable to tell me, but after a long delay have promised to Email me the answer. However 3 hrs later no email. They also implied that they could not be 2018 models, but when I asked them does this mean that there are no 2018 models in the dealer network, they said they would get back to me and of course have not.

I just wonder if any of the clever people on here know more that MB UK and can explain the difference between the 2 models.

Also what is the service schedule for this car.

Thanks for any help.

Michael;l

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome , can’t help with the MY question I’m afraid
The service schedule I believe is 1 year/12,500 miles whichever comes first

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The service schedule I believe is 1 year/12,500 miles whichever comes first
Do they not use the variable service schedule where it depends on the usage (motorway usage giving longer intervals than town driving)?

Can't help on model years but welcome to the forum.

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
I am very much used to the MY concept as highlighted in your post.
However, when recently ordering a new car I was told that they have moved away from this in some respects. The car you are looking at is very new, and hence of course no mid-life face-lift for you to worry about.
I was told that they add new features 'as and when' and there is no revision as such each model year.
For example, on our recent order which was delivered end of October, I waited for a factory order as Android Auto / Apple Car play had just been added as an option and hence only cars delivered end of October onward will see this feature. (You could call this 2018 MY, but they do not use this terminology as far as I can see).

(At least this is what they told me! Could be so that I take the car end of October and don't try to wait until Dec / Jan!!)

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
My understanding is that the Mercedes model year begins with the August Build in each year. Thus the build period August 2017 to July 2018 is a Model Year 2018.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I am very much used to the MY concept as highlighted in your post.
However, when recently ordering a new car I was told that they have moved away from this in some respects. The car you are looking at is very new, and hence of course no mid-life face-lift for you to worry about.
I was told that they add new features 'as and when' and there is no revision as such each model year.
For example, on our recent order which was delivered end of October, I waited for a factory order as Android Auto / Apple Car play had just been added as an option and hence only cars delivered end of October onward will see this feature. (You could call this 2018 MY, but they do not use this terminology as far as I can see).

(At least this is what they told me! Could be so that I take the car end of October and don't try to wait until Dec / Jan!!)

There are Model Years. There are also Special Versions both within model years (MY17.5) and completely separate (anniversary editions etc). Model Years usually differ by content provision rather than structure change. Then there are facelifts or Minor Changes which usually involve front/ rear end and interior/ trim changes. These are every 3 or so years.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Do they not use the variable service schedule where it depends on the usage (motorway usage giving longer intervals than town driving)?

Can't help on model years but welcome to the forum.
Checked again and it looks like 15,500 or 1 year.....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It is 15,500 or 1 year as that is exactly what mine is doing (15,500) - Currently on 36,000 at 18 months old and loving every hour sat in it, even when it's on the M42 and I'm not moving

OP
M

MichaeW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017/2018 E Class Diesel Estate E220d SE 5dr 9G-Tronic
Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post.

I did get a response from MB which I reproduce below:

Good morning Michael,

Further to our conversation on Livechat, I have been advised by the product team that there was a 2018 model which was effective from Dec 2016 to June 2017.

These are the main changes that were made to this model:

Main changes:

· E 350 d SE discontinued

· Air Body Control removed from standard equipment on E 350 d AMG Line

· Heated windscreen washers removed from all engines

· Introduction of staged ambient lighting

· Tip2Run boot lid on Saloon.

· 8m charging cables now included on E 350 e

· Parking package codes changed

· New optional equipment available

· Price increase

I hope this proves useful.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Mercedes-Benz Information Centre
Mercedes-Benz Cars UK Ltd
Delaware Drive
Tongwell
Milton Keynes
MK15 8BA

Tel: 08081 565 635 (from a landline) / 0333 220 6603 (from a mobile)
email: mercedes-benzgeneralenquiries@daimler.com

Mercedes-Benz UK Limited
To say that this confounds me, is an understatement, I am now a little concerned that I am considering giving my hard earned money to a company that seems a little confused, why would you call a model that ceases production 6 months before 2018, the 2018 model? I have gone back to them and asked what they call the current Model that is on sale. Not sure if there is anyone from MB on this excellent forum who can cast any light on this.​

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E W212; C W204
As I said earlier in the thread I think they have done away with annual model years. For example the car we bought recently was called a 2016 'model' although was built in October 2017!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom